Sponsored

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

So, a few questions/comments on if we have an answer for sure.

They say you can't configure until late summer. Do we think if there's a "Refresh" they'll make it coincide with the September date, or are those unrelated? I find it hard to believe they would wait until Sept for the refresh to be live, regardless of how big or small it is.
Sponsored

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I feel as though it’s another way of not honouring the original launch edition price.
When did they start delivering in Ontario?
I'm not sure they are making LE anymore, I hope so for your sake.
unfortunately they have to have a cutoff at some point.
Yup, imagine us in Montreal, we never even got the chance... Now a 2K increase (voucher should have been 30%, not 28), if we can get our hands on any scraps left in May when Quebec gets shop access. Leaves a bitter taste. Ill reach out to guide this week, I really hope they will fix this.
A 2k increase in 5.5years is extremely reasonable.
Mine was 104K, configured now it is 147K.
Hopefully there will be some concessions for eastern Canada.
When does/did the SC open there?

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
Isn’t “until Sep 30” the notice?

also, not blaming you, but do you have a very specific config at pre-hike price? I wonder how many (out of total deliveries) have such hard to make configs…
PDM with Max, 21s, preferably El Cap. Regarding “notice,” the problem is that suddenly I am not allowed to order it off the line and there’s nothing close in the shop. Worst of all, I’m mad at myself for trusting my guide and waiting. Though also unsure if I should be upset because maybe they will sell me a post refresh R1S still?

I’ll spare you the details of my back and forth with my guide and why I really need the range. Not super interesting and I don’t love focusing why I feel misled. I doubt Rivian was trying to screw me over. Rather than increase negativity I’ll hope it will all work out somehow and will try to get into a flexible headspace to help make that happen.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Where's the range topping Ascent trim that would blow away the Cyberbeast? That's what I want to see before the end of 2024 after configurator restart. Preferably with 130 mph top speed, heat pump, R2 headlights, new color, and a trim in weight. A lot of us owners would upgrade to that. Take my money Rivian.

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
PDM with Max, 21s, preferably El Cap.
Ah, max pack. Well good luck with everything! Hope it works out.

Also, I just did a quick check on the shop - there is a Forest Green 20” PDM Max in the shop. Have you tried calling the guide and asking if the wheels can be swapped for you? I hear (elsewhere on this forum) talk of color and wheel upgrade price write offs for shop cars - maybe if that will work out for you

Sponsored

R1SFamilyGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Occupation
I do software things
Generally, does anyone think prices will go up post refresh or no? Could be because of the “refresh” or just market conditions or whatever

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Generally, does anyone think prices will go up post refresh or no? Could be because of the “refresh” or just market conditions or whatever

I don't expect prices to go up but for some they will feel that impact since they no longer get free white paint or Ocean Coast interior. I could see them refreshing the quad with in-house motors and bump the price up to reflect 1000 horsepower.

I could see them release a base model explore edition for $3000 less for folks who don't care about ventilated seats or wood dash.

archiboy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
architect
I think the reality check this thread seems to be missing is how the refresh is going to cut $30k out of the cost of production. I'd be looking at what's going to be missing from the refreshed version, not what's going to be added. That's the piece Wall Street is looking for (and early investors).

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I think the reality check this thread seems to be missing is how the refresh is going to cut $30k out of the cost of production. I'd be looking at what's going to be missing from the refreshed version, not what's going to be added. That's the piece Wall Street is looking for (and early investors).
Volume and R2

archiboy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
architect
Volume and R2
R2 will be too late. And one of my all time favorite lines: "Sure, we loose a little on each widget, but we make it up in volume". I respectfully disagree. They need to deliver the R1 line at a profit and they need to figure that out prior to delivery of the first R2.

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

R2 will be too late. And one of my all time favorite lines: "Sure, we loose a little on each widget, but we make it up in volume". I respectfully disagree. They need to deliver the R1 line at a profit and they need to figure that out prior to delivery of the first R2.

archiboy

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
architect
IMO RJ reiterates my points. They are singularly focused on being profitable by Q4 of '24 (prior to R2 delivery). To do so they need to cut $30k (or more) out of the R1 costs. RJ blames that on "material costs". I have a hard time buying that the raw materials have $30k of wiggle room. I do think they were over paying for materials during the pandemic. A un-proven start up in a starved market place. In essence they were paying gold plated toilet prices and getting porta-potties. My guess there remains some of the supplier gouging due to the current stock price and dwindling dollars in the bank. But I continue to believe they need to be removing the plush features (Ala Meridian audio) (I understand that was removed months ago - but I can't see it coming back). Or they need to bring it back and double the price of the vehicle. I think that's what's going on. The current platform appears to be un-sustainable. Friday's announcement of reservation holders need to buy what's in inventory or risk applying their deposit to an entirely different R1 vehicle with different features, different finishes and different pricing. While many of those folks are pissed - I get it. But looking at the math - they should buy from inventory. They'll be getting $30k more bang for their purchase price. Waiting isn't going to result in Rivian giving away the farm any longer.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
Two weeks ago I did a demo drive of the R1S and the guide I did the demo with hinted about a 'platform change' to the R1S, not the T apparently. And he mentioned that they had a camouflage R1S going around with this new platform and they had it in their service centre a short while ago for testing. He also said they are 'excited' about this new platform.

He would not divulge any more than that, but he hinted at suspension and battery. Or atleast those are some of the things I saw a smile from him. Beyond this he would not wink/smile or even talk about it.

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX, M3, 4Runner, FJ60, GTO
Occupation
Retired AS Engineer
So, a few questions/comments on if we have an answer for sure.

They say you can't configure until late summer. Do we think if there's a "Refresh" they'll make it coincide with the September date, or are those unrelated? I find it hard to believe they would wait until Sept for the refresh to be live, regardless of how big or small it is.
We need to read the notice carefully -
"Custom Configurations
Until later this summer, we will not be fulfilling custom configurations while we prepare for some retooling and improvements at our plant...."

Which I interpret as later this summer and not late summer. I hope to contact my guide next week for a clarification.

olsonnet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Also it says they won't be "fulfilling" custom configurations. So they could theoretically open up the configurator again before summer, but they wouldn't fulfill those orders until summer.
Sponsored