Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Its hilarious how in this thread people are shooting the messenger for telling us what surveys told CR.

Yet, just recently CR told us how much owners loved their Rivians. Everybody was good with that one.

There is ample evidence that the other worst car brands on the list do have bad reliability. Like who wasn't heard of Jaguar having bad reliability or Jeep?

I doubt Rivian is going to be on the list next year. It's likely that what was weighing down the reliability scores have been sorted out by now. Like its way more rare to hear about a bricked Rivan in 2024 then it was in 2023, and way less rare than 2022.

It's certainly way too complex of a vehicle to compare against high reliability vehicles, but my prediction is its going to be more like middle range which I'm fine with.
I agree.....this article released saying it ranks near the bottom and today I see this. This is why I take what I read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Move over Tesla, there's a new favorite automaker (msn.com)
Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Itā€™s no surprise they werenā€™t near the top, but Iā€™ll take my chances with Rivian vs the competition. They also were rated one of the ā€œmost lovedā€ brands by their customers FWIW.
There was a very recent study conducted with a statistcally significant population, over a prolonged period, of everyone that drives a Rivian (within 10' of my house) and the results are overwhelmingly positive! This conclusive study found that the respondents were esctatic about the R1 and very excited about the forthcoming R2. The only issue noted was the horn.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

My R1T was perfect and Iā€™ve only visited the service center for my 7500 mile maintenance. šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø
Didn't it take them like 6+ months to get your car into "perfect" condition to deliver it to you after they said you'd have it?
I believe stories like that is why they got this rating.

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Consumer Reports has never been a good source about cars. Nowadays they don't even get coffee maker reviews correct.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I think there are several things at play:
  1. CR is playing both sides. Wasn't R1S the car of the year last year? Now dropped precipitously in "reliability" however they measure that. However, maybe it took a year for the problems to show up in their surveys?
  2. Rivian definitely has a problem with initial Quality Control. It's maybe gotten some better but there are still LOTS of stories of Ss and Ts being delivered with Fit/Finish issues as well as major problems showing up within the first few weeks. If you want someone to complain about reliability, deliver them a busted car. Seems true and problematic.
  3. Other than maybe Phoenix, Service is a giant, Tesla-worthy clusterf**k. They gaslight, sit on cars for months with no communication, and return cars unrepaired and even with new dents, scratches, and stains. I've been sitting on a few minor issues for months because I'm not ready for the sh*tshow that I'll sign up for by taking my car in for service.
  4. CR clearly is riding the "EVs are DONE" bandwagon. Jeep, with a long history of reliability problems, could have been highlighted for remaining last as they have done for years. But no, let's put the Rivian on the cover of their announcement video and social callouts for their results.

I've long said that Rivian is in danger of turning off the curious majority if they don't get service and reliability under control. It hasn't happened yet.
I took the temp SC in Seattle as a sign that at least they are willing to try something new to address their backlog. Now they just have initial QC and service center attitudes to fix. Still a big hill...

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Didn't it take them like 6+ months to get your car into "perfect" condition to deliver it to you after they said you'd have it?
I believe stories like that is why they got this rating.
Yes, mine was born, then sat in the maternity ward waiting for PPF diapers for an unspecified amount of time (4-6 months) before Rivian decided to clear the queue. Only 3 weeks later it was delivered to Dad in CO. I like to imagine that each day during the wait he was getting walks and baths and the factory staff were watching 'Baby Einstein' videos with him.

To your point, I was definitely wondering what was going on, but my "estimated" delivery window was April-May, so even if I did take that window literally (I didn't), it was delivered only about 3 weeks late (3rd week of June). The only reason I was even seeking regular news during those last couple months was because my guide had told me it was built and going through final checks. So I figured it either had problems or that wasn't the entire story. Then my guide got promoted and I had no updates at all until the end of May.

I know many will find it hard to believe, but I was not upset by any of that even though there were many ways Rivian could have made that a better experience. I run a much smaller business than Rivian does and I know how hard it is to get all the parts working properly at times. I knew it would get to me eventually and it did. I had other stuff to worry about at the time. It's still just a truck. :cool:

LeftMySoulinNM

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

CR is just trying to maximize SEO šŸ˜

IMG_8458.jpeg
These two sentiments and definitely co-exist. I felt that way about my manual 2013 Audi S4. The most satisfying car to drive and have but broke my heart and wallet every month with repairs. I miss that nightmare.

Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
I felt that way about my manual 2013 Audi S4. The most satisfying car to drive and have but broke my heart and wallet every month with repairs. I miss that nightmare.
Until getting the Bolts and now the R1S, my favorite car to drive was a 1978 Fiat 128 sedan.

Our Fiat mechanic in Muncie IN was Tony -- no kidding, as in "Fix It Again, Tony!"

We had friends in Lansdowne PA whose Fiat mechanic was so good they bought a second Fiat. Even we weren't that courageous!

Grogu

First Name
Jeffery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I believe it. No QC and terrible service centers.
I mustā€™ve been one of the lucky ones because I have had no major issues with my R1 T and Iā€™ve owned it since June 23, 2023 at every time Iā€™ve gone to the service center. Iā€™ve had nothing but professionalism, kindness, courtesy, and they have been absolutely the best, but maybe thatā€™s because I believe that the one in San Jose, California is just top-notch
Sponsored