First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Flash devices will definitely slow down with repeated use. The flash memory is continuously written to every time you drive..... over and over. The device controllers of many better flash cards will replace worn areas of memory with reserve areas of memory, but by the time this starts to happen the card is on its way out. I have seen this with looping ECG recorders I helped design and build. I have also had this happen to many SD cards in my video recorders over the years. You are tempting fate, as you may not get a video when you really need it.

Also, not all flash memory is the same. Don't expect an SD card to have the same number of write cycles as a quality SSD.
Understood, and I agree that eventually the SD cards wear out, but this particular SD card (Samsung Pro Endurance) has very little "mileage" on it...
It was in my Model Y which had one year/2,500miles on it when I sold that vehicle, then it went in to my R1T which I have had for 13 months which now has 2,600 miles on it. I have GG off at home, and only use Drive Cam.
In the end, this SD card only has 5K "miles" on it, not a lot of use. I think it was just a Rivian error, not a card issue. I have read that an infotainment reboot in many cases fixes the "device too slow" error on device that previously worked. I was going to do that, but when I found the text file with the "very slow" on it I decided to try to fix it issue that way vs an infotainment reboot.
Sponsored

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

FWIW- I pulled my working Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB micro-SD card this afternoon to add a movie to the "Starred" folder for a test.
My test failed because I wasn't on the latest vehicle update. Once I updated the OS and reinserted my SD card in it's holder a message came up saying something like "setting up drive" and then "testing speed" which promptly failed with a message of "device too slow".

I've been using this particular SD card in this holder for over a year now on my R1T and used the same card/holder in my Model Y of a year without issue. Now it's suddenly "too slow"?

At any rate, I brought the card inside and loaded it in to my PC. Upon examination there was a "benchmark.log" text file in the root directory of the SD card. When I opened it with Notepad there was just two words in the file "very slow". I then inserted a very fast/expensive USB-C flash drive in the Rivian and successfully set it up as my drive cam storage device. I then pulled that drive out and looked at it's "benchmark.log" file and it had one word in the file "READY".

So I then edited the file in the non-working SD card to say "READY" instead of "very slow", inserted it in my Rivian and it was once again working flawlessly like it had for the previous year.

So, if you had a drive that previously worked, but suddenly doesn't- pull it and take a look at the "benchmark.log" file in the root directory of the drive and if it says anything other then "READY" change it to that, reinsert it and see if it now works again.
this is not great software lol.

OnePedaler

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ford Explorer
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Hi, I'm Jeeden, you may remember me from other threads like "Show off your home charger install" and "How to: TIGHT parking for R1S in garage"

I thought it would be good with the incoming news of dashcam functionality in the next ota update if we had a one stop thread for all things dashcam memory cards.

In threads in this and on other forums I have seen thumb drives, adapter cords with thumb drives, adapter cords with SD cards, regular cards/drives, extreme use cards/drives, etc.

What are our ideas for best type and approach?

When researching Garmin mini 2 dash cams I know it was very well documented that everyone got SanDisk extreme SD cards to record to. Maybe that's the best way to go with an adapter cable here?

UPDATED POST WITH SUGGESTED SOLUTIONS

Making a quick list here of what is in the thread and seems to be most popular for folks who want a pretty quick answer. Note: I don't have time to keep this list updated from the thread so there may be more. This list was compiled from discussion through page 5 of the thread (hopefully we will get some installation photos soon when the software rolls out)

Make sure whatever solution you get can handle a hot vehicle in summer, cold in winter, and any shock from throwing things in the console, bumps, crashes, etc.

There appear to be three significant approaches here (links from some solutions in the thread):

1. Thumb drive

2. SD card and Adapter (Note! It is unconfirmed if SD cards will function or not in this capacity, some have had issues, but we won't know for sure until the update is rolled out and everyone can test)
3. External SSD drive
* Make sure to get at least 128gb as recommended by Rivian

For any of these solutions, a small cord is recommended to keep the drive from sticking out of the USB port in the console where it could be hit and damaged or damage the USB port. It also allows for velcro or other attachments to the inside wall of the console to protect it, keep it from getting snagged by items in/out of console, making noise.

Adapters
Cords
The Rivian will format the storage when first connected, but here is a how too Link
Thanks!!! I had been trying to find the pivot adapters recommended but couldn’t find the thread. Your summary was helpful. Ordered the pivot adapter today. Very much needed as a I throw things in the storage area and it sometimes unplugs my T7 storage device.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Anyone had success with M.2 drives?
Yes, I had one in use for about a week... no problems, but it was too expensive (very fast 1TB version) to keep it in the truck, so I replaced it with a $25 250GB SATA SSD in an $6 enclosure which has been working perfectly so far.

Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Yes, I had one in use for about a week... no problems, but it was too expensive (very fast 1TB version) to keep it in the truck, so I replaced it with a $25 250GB SATA SSD in an $6 enclosure which has been working perfectly so far.
I salvaged a laptop for my dad (computer was busted, but he had data on the drive and wanted it wiped before disposal) so I've gotten a 512gb short one (42mm) and no real use for it, so I thought it'd be a good replacement for my 128g microSD.
Thanks! I'll look at picking up an enclosure for it

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I salvaged a laptop for my dad (computer was busted, but he had data on the drive and wanted it wiped before disposal) so I've gotten a 512gb short one (42mm) and no real use for it, so I thought it'd be a good replacement for my 128g microSD.
Thanks! I'll look at picking up an enclosure for it
Great use for something you repurposed!

I used a right angle cable to prevent it from sticking out of the truck USB port and possibly breaking while rummaging through the center console:

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install 1710175503419

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Great use for something you repurposed!

I used a right angle cable to prevent it from sticking out of the truck USB port and possibly breaking while rummaging through the center console:

1710175503419.png
For my SD card, I already have an adapter that angles sideways (clocked 90* from the one you show) that I was planning on reusing. It's just a USBC-C adapter, so a C-C cable will still work with it. Thanks!

itswulfy

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Data
IMG_0968.jpeg

1TB - holds approximately 1 month of drive recordings

Works flawlessly- have pulled it out to grab clips a few times without issue.
I’ve been through a couple of microSD card readers. Would you mind linking which one you’re using and which 90 you’re using as well?

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I’ve been through a couple of microSD card readers. Would you mind linking which one you’re using and which 90 you’re using as well?
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install IMG_4169

Sponsored

TRap015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
For microSD setup, is it better to get the sandisk max endurance (15 years warranty) vs Sandisk extreme (lifetime warranty)?? max endurance seems to be targeted for dash cam, and is Sandisk extreme going to be a problem as dash cam, and whether it would be a problem for warranty for dash cam use??

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Does anyone know if higher than 2TB drives are supported yet? Last i checked only mentioned 'upto 2TB'. Just curious if anyone has come across any documentation confirming larger capacity drives.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Does anyone know if higher than 2TB drives are supported yet? Last i checked only mentioned 'upto 2TB'. Just curious if anyone has come across any documentation confirming larger capacity drives.
FAT32 has a max partition limit of 2TB.
Sponsored