First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
To be fair, that setting is only available in Snow Mode.
Ah ok. I guess I'm confused. OP did say he had it on high. Either he had it in snow mode or meant something else.

At the time, I set the Regenerative Brake to High. I reversed slowly and stopped by putting off the accelerator. I put my foot on the brake (I don't think that I pushed hard) and then tried to accelerate slowly.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That's crazy. When I was a youngster I worked on a manufacturing line that made ignition sets and I worked the detent machine specifically. It was considered the most dangerous machine to work and required the most skilled operator on that specific line. The actual mechanism of the machine had a habit of removing or degloving the fingers of the unwary. The assembly before the machine stamps it all into place is incredibly fiddly, and the springs themselves were a nightmare. No wider than a small thumbnail and constantly tangled. We had little mechancial vibrators that shook them constantly to help keep them from tangling, but the ability of the line worker to get them out efficiently was basically what determined how fast the entire line moved.

It was a lot of stress, but also paid better than any other position on the line :)

EDIT: I hope I didn't get anyone killed :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_recalls

GM recalled nearly 30 million vehicles as a result, and paid compensation for 124 deaths. GM knew about the fault for at least one decade before they were forced t orecall.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_ignition_switch_recalls

GM recalled nearly 30 million vehicles as a result, and paid compensation for 124 deaths. GM knew about the fault for at least one decade before they were forced t orecall.
I have a car that was part of the recall that I had legitimately turn off and lock the steering column on me after going over rough train tracks. It was because I had too much shit hanging off the key. After taking everything off the key ring except for the fob and key, I couldn't reproduce it.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Ah ok. I guess I'm confused. OP did say he had it on high. Either he had it in snow mode or meant something else.
No, I meant 'Low' is only available in Snow Mode. All others only have 'High' and 'Standard'.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I do not trust Regen Brake. I don t like to depend on that.
Have you attempted to recreate this? Try it 10 times in a safe area doing the exact same things.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
I'm pretty sure it works in any mode, even reverse.
So after reading this again it sounds like anytime you left foot brake a stopped Rivian the car goes into launch mode? Could this be what happened to the OP? He/she went to left foot brake and the truck thought "ok, lets boogey"?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So after reading this again it sounds like anytime you left foot brake a stopped Rivian the car goes into launch mode? Could this be what happened to the OP? He/she went to left foot brake and the truck thought "ok, lets boogey"?
No. You must be fully stopped, foot on the brake, and then fully depress the go pedal. Release the brake, rinse, and repeat.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No. You must be fully stopped, foot on the brake, and then fully depress the go pedal. Release the brake, rinse, and repeat.
You ever slowly release the brake pedal with the go pedal on the floor? It gets very confused. Highly unrecommended

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Sounds like someone has been practicing!🤔

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You ever slowly release the brake pedal with the go pedal on the floor? It gets very confused. Highly unrecommended
No, but I have come to realize you barely need to apply the brake in the first place, so I generally barely have it pressed. I'll be sure to NOT try it, though!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
And you must be in sport mode. Other modes don’t have launch and you’ll still accelerate even if foot is on brake.

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Ok. It still sounds like the launch function should be moved to an onscreen button.

I've launched a few cars in my day, they were all manual and required left foot on clutch and heel toe on the throttle to get revs up. This feels more and more like the user bliped the throttle.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Ok. It still sounds like the launch function should be moved to an onscreen button.

I've launched a few cars in my day, they were all manual and required left foot on clutch and heel toe on the throttle to get revs up. This feels more and more like the user bliped the throttle.
Rivian, Please do not artificially gate launch control behind some stupid function that requires me to take my feet off the pedals and hands off the wheel and eyes off the road. It's stupid to do this and it's one of the reasons I got rid of the Hummer EV.
Sponsored