First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
How do you sure if I push hard? To move a bit forward, do you think I pushed hard like you. I was about to push slowly.
How do I know you pushed too hard, Occams Razor. You admit to pushing the pedal, the car went forward. I know how fast the throttle can be because I own an R1T myself.

There are 20 some thousand R1’s in the wild and the choices of explanation are either 1. That there is some crazy defect in either software or hardware that has only shown up a couple times and only in parking spaces or 2. You pushed the pedal down too hard.

My money is on 2. Also what is this “like me” business? I’m not the one who can’t control his truck.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Depending on what software version the vehicle was running, it was previously possible to engage ACC with a default of 20mph in a parking lot. I had it happen to me (thankfully I was able to hit the brake and avoid any damage).

OP
OP

heekim1

First Name
Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
How do I know you pushed too hard, Occams Razor. You admit to pushing the pedal, the car went forward. I know how fast the throttle can be because I own an R1T myself.

There are 20 some thousand R1’s in the wild and the choices of explanation are either 1. That there is some crazy defect in either software or hardware that has only shown up a couple times and only in parking spaces or 2. You pushed the pedal down too hard.

My money is on 2.
I am a software engineer. People only see the he issue. The sw defect need to be reproduced. So I reached and found the same issue. I also reported two he issued: my blind spot is not working and the plastic trim is indented. I have an appointment for these. Yeah, it is a hw issue that you can see and believe.

Rivian R1T R1S Sudden Acceleration During Parking B173A100-3FDA-473F-A4E2-2FF1016206B5

Rivian R1T R1S Sudden Acceleration During Parking 5D431688-B537-47D7-B78B-00E58CACDE84

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I’m not sure what some slightly mismatched trim and the fact that your blind spot monitor isn’t working is supposed to prove? It doesn’t really add or subtract anything from the matter at hand here. Nor does your career hold any real significance either.

The main reason I’m even busting your chops here so much is your outright refusal to even consider the most obvious conclusion which is this is your fault. You haven’t been able to replicate this situation and while having acknowledged operator error is possible you then dismissed it even though if I was to assign a percentage of likelihood of blame I would lay down at least 80% on operator error.

If a coder has an error on a piece of software do they assume the coding language they are using no longer works or that they or someone else made a mistake in the code somewhere first? Without ruling out the obvious it is rather arrogant and premature to label this a Rivian issue.

OP
OP

heekim1

First Name
Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
Depending on what software version the vehicle was running, it was previously possible to engage ACC with a default of 20mph in a parking lot. I had it happen to me (thankfully I was able to hit the brake and avoid any damage).
Thank you for sharing your experience. The current vehicle sw version of mine is Version 2022.47.2.
Did you update your software? How did you resolve the issue?
If you share what you did , that would be great for all of us.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thank you for sharing your experience. The current vehicle sw version of mine is Version 2022.47.2.
Did you update your software? How did you resolve the issue?
If you share what you did , that would be great for all of us.
It was fixed before your version. So I don't think the software version was your issue.

I believe it was fixed in 2022.47.0.

OP
OP

heekim1

First Name
Heeshin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus NX300h
Occupation
software engineer
I’m not sure what some slightly mismatched trim and the fact that your blind spot monitor isn’t working is supposed to prove? It doesn’t really add or subtract anything from the matter at hand here. Nor does your career hold any real significance either.

The main reason I’m even busting your chops here so much is your outright refusal to even consider the most obvious conclusion which is this is your fault. You haven’t been able to replicate this situation and while having acknowledged operator error is possible you then dismissed it even though if I was to assign a percentage of likelihood of blame I would lay down at least 80% on operator error.

If a coder has an error on a piece of software do they assume the coding language they are using no longer works or that they or someone else made a mistake in the code somewhere first? Without ruling out the obvious it is rather arrogant and premature to label this a Rivian issue.
I think that you made your conclusion when you submit your post. I did make conclusion so I created my post.
I will try to reoriduce what I have had whenever I have enough space. I am scared actually it happens again. I do not harm others from the car.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I thought pedal misapplication was a myth until it happened to me in 2021 driving my Bolt EV. My brain was 100% convinced that my foot was on the brake pedal but it was actually on the accelerator. Regen braking seems to have made this a bigger problem for the general populous.

I just went out and tested different scenarios and I definitely believe that there is a risk of pedal misapplication in the R1T in this scenario. Where you think you're on the brake to shift but actually are not.

The same amount of pressure I'd normally put on the brake, when applied to the accelerator mid shift, meant that the truck shifted from reverse to drive and suddenly had about somewhere between a third and a half of the accelerator.

Since normally when you're on the brake, pushing harder doesn't really do anything if you are already at a stop, I completely believe that's what happened here. EVs could fix this problem by not allowing a shift between forward/reverse without hitting the brake first, and locking you out of acceleration change if it happens. But, right now it's not a requirement in the Rivian.

Last edited:

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Since normally when you're on the brake, pushing harder doesn't really do anything if you are already at a stop, I completely believe that's what happened here. EVs could fix this problem by not allowing a shift between forward/reverse without hitting the brake first, and locking you out of acceleration change if it happens. But, right now it's not a requirement in the Rivian.
I think I get what you're saying. Do you mean as it currently stands most EV drivers rely on regen to come to a stop when shifting into a gear?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I think I get what you're saying. Do you mean as it currently stands most EV drivers rely on regen to come to a stop when shifting into a gear?
Yes. Rivian will allow the shift when you're under ~3 mph. The Bolt would allow it at much faster speeds than that as I occasionally find the Rivian has rejected my request and that basically never happened in the Bolt. No requirement to touch the brake pedal.

When the misapplication happened in the Bolt, it happened so fast but I still instinctively reacted by pulling my foot back vs pushing harder.

Sponsored

BrianNakata

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Shelby GT350
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
A couple of weeks ago I let some friends drive my R1T and when we pulled into a restaurant parking lot for lunch, the wife was driving and her husband was in the back seat. She crept into the parking spot feathering the accelerator as expected and then when she was ready to stop, the vehicle suddenly lurched forward.

Thankfully, she had great reflexes and immediately stomped on the brake pedal and stopped the truck before driving through the side of the restaurant.

I believe what happened was that she was used to her ICE vehicle with automatic transmission where in that situation, she would have been feathering the brake pedal and when she wanted to stop moving forward in the parking spot, would have pressed further on the brake pedal to stop.

Of course, her foot wasn't on the brake pedal but rather on the accelerator explaining why the truck lurched forward.

Unless you have a lot of experience with one pedal driving, you have to be extremely careful and conscious of what you're doing until it becomes second nature. Given how some here report how they don't like the accelerator mapping and can't drive their Rivian smoothly and can't seem to master one pedal driving, situations like this aren't much of a surprise to me.

Brian

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Historically, MOST instances of sudden acceleration are operator error, but not all. And certainly with new EVs that have sophisticated software I wouldn't be so quick to count out someone's experience here. I'd certainly like to see what the service center says if it examines the logs.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
FWIW the plastic trim issue is present on every R1 I've ever seen, including mine. It's just the way they fit, I doubt the SC will fix that up much.

Maybe I'm wrong though - I haven't asked them to fix mine since I've not seen any without it yet.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
FWIW the plastic trim issue is present on every R1 I've ever seen, including mine. It's just the way they fit, I doubt the SC will fix that up much.

Maybe I'm wrong though - I haven't asked them to fix mine since I've not seen any without it yet.
I have twice and they quietly ignore it...

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Yes. Rivian will allow the shift when you're under ~3 mph. The Bolt would allow it at much faster speeds than that as I occasionally find the Rivian has rejected my request and that basically never happened in the Bolt. No requirement to touch the brake pedal.

When the misapplication happened in the Bolt, it happened so fast but I still instinctively reacted by pulling my foot back vs pushing harder.
Wow. Maybe they could leave the shifting while moving by requiring a brake input while shifting. Another option would be people start left foot brakeing while they get used to EVs.
Sponsored