Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I have to say I have been debating if I keep or sell my 1 month old r1s and this thread is something that makes me think more and more of keeping my Subaru instead.
Sponsored

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
I’m glad they took care of you again and I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having so many issues. I would be frustrated as hell too. But I hope the truck doesn’t give you anymore trouble and you hold onto it for a few more years (well atleast 2 more years for that warranty haha). There cant be many, if any, folks who have put as many miles on their trucks as you have. You’re definitely a reliability tester for the rest of us from a mileage standpoint and your shared experiences are greatly appreciated!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Is the desiccant user serviceable in our trucks? Thinking about post warranty serviceability of what sounds like an achilles heal.
I haven't seen anything that details where this is yet. I'm planning on digging into underbody stuff a little bit this winter, and if I can find the time, I'll document what I can about the suspension air drying system.

Last edited:

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

My arm chair quarterback would agree there is most likely an issue with water freezing in the lines. Part of my annual maintenance on my LR3 was replacing the air dryer desiccant, a full year of use in the humid PNW air would saturate the desiccant. In cold weather the saturated desiccant would freeze up, preventing air from moving through the compressor, and throwing a fault.
To close this up I got my truck back today. They replaced the compressor and the exhaust/intake line and all related components. They confirmed again that the exhaust was frozen, their best guess was something due to some oxidation and the desiccant not being able to keep up.
As expected. Glad I held onto that bulk container of air dryer desiccant when I sold the LR3, guess I’ll be needing it eventually.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I haven't seen anything that details where this is yet. I'm planning on digging into underbody stuff a little bit this winter, and if I can find the time, I'll document what I can about the suspension air drying system.
Maybe this will be of help: Rivian uses an AMK compressor. I believe it is this model line: https://amk-group.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/AMK-FactSheet-LFK-12-21.pdf

I’ve not had luck getting further information on the compressor, but I expect the dryer to be user serviceable though it could be a pain in the rear depending on how it’s mounted.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
The suspension is poorly executed especially when there are good examples of air to be pulled from. Like it or not, Land Rover has the right idea with a sealed system, it’s why Ram ditched the open version and copied the n2 sealed variety. You just cannot use an open compressor and expect not to have freezing and ice issues.
Sponsored