atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

Can anyone recommend a good adapter to keep in the truck to use on the Tesla destination chargers? Thank you!
Sponsored

Rblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Funny you ask, we’re currently road tripping from Colorado to Texas and back. Our R1T is actively charging in a driveway using this Tesla to J1772

We’ve only used it at level 1 speeds so far, but it does work!

One thing to note when using this adapter, or at least the one we received. When initially plugging the adapter in to the truck after plugging the powered end into the adapter. The truck’s charging port light will glow red like there’s an error, the truck will renegotiate with the charger and charging works like normal after that.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
The product that seems to be the most compatible across different vehicles (maybe not important for specific use on a Rivian), handshakes quickly, seems like it has the least issues are from TeslaTap:

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=17

A bit pricier vs. the Lectron, don't know if it's worth it. I do know that the Lectron was super flakey with a Wrangler 4xe, but the TeslaTap works perfectly.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE (QM/L), 2024 Zero DSR/X
Occupation
Product Management
Funny you ask, we’re currently road tripping from Colorado to Texas and back. Our R1T is actively charging in a driveway using this Tesla to J1772

One thing to note when using this adapter, or at least the one we received. When initially plugging the adapter in to the truck after plugging the powered end into the adapter. The trucks charging port light will glow red like there’s an error, the truck will renegotiate with the charger and charging works like normal after that.
+1 for this one, it's compact enough to keep in the frunk net and works great for L1/L2 charging.

Sponsored

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect

One thing to note when using this adapter, or at least the one we received. When initially plugging the adapter in to the truck after plugging the powered end into the adapter. The trucks charging port light will glow red like there’s an error, the truck will renegotiate with the charger and charging works like normal after that.
Interesting. My experience with the adaptor mentioned in post #4 was it turned green immediately just like with my garage rivian charger

Rblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
+1 for this one, it's compact enough to keep in the frunk net and works great for L1/L2 charging.
Haha, that’s exactly where we keep ours. It’s also small enough to fit neatly in the charging cable bag.

@WSea good to know! When I was shopping the prices on these two were Identical and had heard of Lectron before so they got my $. If this one fails for any reason I will check out the Keruida.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The product that seems to be the most compatible across different vehicles (maybe not important for specific use on a Rivian), handshakes quickly, seems like it has the least issues are from TeslaTap:

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=17

A bit pricier vs. the Lectron, don't know if it's worth it. I do know that the Lectron was super flakey with a Wrangler 4xe, but the TeslaTap works perfectly.
This is the one I am currently looking at. A bit pricey at $240 but it has 5-star reviews and is manufactured in the USA.

We have a Model Y and I plan on using the Tesla charging cable that’s hooked up in our garage.

Last edited:

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have the Lectron 60Amp (was under $150 on Amazon) and it works flawlessly on my Tesla level 2 wall charger to charge my R1T

Reactions: VSG

Sponsored

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler
I use the Lectron from Amazon. It was cheaper than a teslatap and does the same job. $160 vs $300. Used it on my 2 Tesla home chargers and other wall chargers with no issues so far.

Reactions: VSG

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Your dealing with electricity flowing from your casa to your vehicle. This is not the time to penny pinch on a "el cheapo" charging adapter. Do your due diligence before making a purchase.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Your dealing with electricity flowing from your casa to your vehicle. This is not the time to penny pinch on a "el cheapo" charging adapter. Do your due diligence before making a purchase.
Agreed (even when dealing with destination chargers). The amount of current involved here (up to 48A) is not to be taken lightly.
Sponsored