kunwers

First Name
SK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Hello!
I’m an EV owner since 2016, on my third Tesla (a Model X Plaid) and now thinking of switching to the R1S. The switch is primarily driven by the early Rivian reservation (pricing voucher), current leasing deals and my move from Canada to the US.

I’m looking for some feedback on Rivian and charging experience specially is Southeastern US (GA/NC/FL).

- How is the ownership experience in terms of build quality, service and repair times (Tesla being below average)

- Charging times and efficiency (Large pack)- I hear in reviews the stated range is the actual range, is it true? Specially on Interstate driving (75-80 mph). How much time does it take to charge a Large pack from 10% to 80% or 90% on a Rivian DC Charger, also any charging tests on a Tesla Supercharger?

- Could I do 600 miles with one stop, driving at 75mph? Leaving at 100% from home and charging on the road to 90% (Large pack rated at 352 miles)

- Quad vs Dual, are there any difference in service/maintenance or features? A dual motor performance suits my needs, but Quad motor leasing deals look better. I know i’ll lose 30 miles of range and I’m not interested in performance gains.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I did Jackson, MS to Atlanta, GA in one stop in an R1T Large pack 2 weeks ago. 100% charge in Jackson, stopped at Vance, AL Mercedes to top off and then home. Left at 4am to avoid traffic, pro: no traffic, con: it was colder so less efficient to Vance.

Stopped at Chic fil a for breakfast just outside of vance and picnicked in front of their visitor center in the sun. Didn't mind the wait for charging at all.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

While I can’t answer all those, you should find 99% with search function. Since there are different variants, it would come down to the range (400 mi vs 300 mi) and other factors.

If in a rush charging to 60-65% is the best practice (same as Tesla most other EVs), obviously longer distances between chargers an overriding factor.

Quite a few tests have been done on Tesla superchargers with adapters, peak is 217 kWh.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Hello!
I’m an EV owner since 2016, on my third Tesla (a Model X Plaid) and now thinking of switching to the R1S. The switch is primarily driven by the early Rivian reservation (pricing voucher), current leasing deals and my move from Canada to the US.

I’m looking for some feedback on Rivian and charging experience specially is Southeastern US (GA/NC/FL). I can't speak from personal experience, but it sure seems like that area is a hell of a lot better than the midwest for charging.

- How is the ownership experience in terms of build quality, service and repair times (Tesla being below average) You'll prob find it to be a bit similar to Tesla in ways, better in other ways. I've had a few small issues, and my local SC (Minneapolis) has been great.

- Charging times and efficiency (Large pack)- I hear in reviews the stated range is the actual range, is it true? Specially on Interstate driving (75-80 mph). How much time does it take to charge a Large pack from 10% to 80% or 90% on a Rivian DC Charger, also any charging tests on a Tesla Supercharger? So many variables here. It's never going to be the fastest to charge, but it is capable of 220 kwh at times.

- Could I do 600 miles with one stop, driving at 75mph? Leaving at 100% from home and charging on the road to 90% (Large pack rated at 352 miles) Again, lots of variables here. You probably can, but the Rivian is ALWAYS going to be conservative with this...its a good thing, but you'll need to know your car before you go against what it's telling you.

- Quad vs Dual, are there any difference in service/maintenance or features? A dual motor performance suits my needs, but Quad motor leasing deals look better. I know I have to lose 30 miles of range and I’m not interested in performance gains.I have a quad and love it. My FIL is getting his DM this weekend. I can see benefits to both.
My comments bold italics :)

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
I have a 2023 MX Plaid, and recently traded a 2023 R1S Quad for a 2024 R1S Quad. The X Plaid is a superior car, if you do zero off roading, 6 seats is enough, and the storage of the X is enough for you. If you want more room and 1 more seat, or you do any off roading, then the R1S wins. They are both great cars. The refresh X is a refined vehicle. The R1S is great, it's just way more clunky than the refresh X, and the tech in the refresh X is far superior. I love them both. They are different vehicles, but both some of the best vehicles ever made. I have not tested it head to head, but I think the range on the R1S is better than X Plaid. Where I am located there are a lot of Gen2 superchargers that are incompatible with Rivian (even with the adapter), so for me Tesla still crushes the Rivian for charging (again, this is location specific).

Sponsored

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
Hello!
(snip)

I’m looking for some feedback on Rivian and charging experience specially is Southeastern US (GA/NC/FL).
I drove a model S 85D for eight years, from early 2015 through March 2023 when I picked up the Rivian.

- How is the ownership experience in terms of build quality, service and repair times (Tesla being below average)

My build quality (VIN#35xx R1S) is generally very good. I did need a wheel alignment and the tailgate wasn't adjusted properly, but I fixed that myself. A few very small items handled quickly.

- Charging times and efficiency (Large pack)- I hear in reviews the stated range is the actual range, is it true? Specially on Interstate driving (75-80 mph). How much time does it take to charge a Large pack from 10% to 80% or 90% on a Rivian DC Charger, also any charging tests on a Tesla Supercharger?

Stated range is very accurate in my experience. I have a quad motor R1S on 20AT tires, so worst case for the "large" pack. The Rivian charges -much- more quickly than my ancient Tesla did, especially after Tesla nerfed the charge rates on the 85Kwh batteries. I haven't used a supercharger yet, but people are reporting charge rates consistent with the theoretical maximum of the truck (around 220kw under ideal conditions from a low state of charge)

- Could I do 600 miles with one stop, driving at 75mph?

I think that would be a stretch--my truck on it's current wheel wouldn't do it, and I don't think there are many itineraries in the southeast where it would be necessary.

Leaving at 100% from home and charging on the road to 90% (Large pack rated at 352 miles)

- Quad vs Dual, are there any difference in service/maintenance or features? A dual motor performance suits my needs, but Quad motor leasing deals look better. I know I have to lose 30 miles of range and I’m not interested in performance gains.

I only have driven a QM, can't answer to then others.

I will say the the local Rivian service center is outstanding, and I literally don't know what they could have done to be better for me. The Tesla service 8 years ago was good too, but has deteriorated significantly in my area.

Most of my cross country driving is in the southeast, and apart from Mississippi, shouldn't be an issue with the Rivian.

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)
I recently got my R1S coming from a '21 MYP and a '17 MS 90D before that. I miss very little about the Tesla's because I road trip a lot. You gotta know your reasons because the R1S is very different than an X. The R1S is a truck whereas the X is more like a car.

The Large pack is 135 kWh and the Max pack is 149 kWh. The X has ~ 95 kWh pack.

On one hand, the X (any Tesla) has the more efficient drive train (by far), which is one factor that allows it to charge quickly. There is "less battery" to fill up when charging. On the other hand, the more efficient the vehicle the more external factors will affect its range (speed, temp, wind, elevation). As you probably know, road tripping in a Tesla can be miserable when you're stuck going 55mph because external factors are making your planned range keep dropping and dropping.

On a really bad day (cold, windy, net elevation climb), I average ~ 2mi/kwh meaning that my Max pack will go ~ 300 miles. But the nav estimate from the start is dead on. And I can do that going 80 mph. On a good day, I average ~ 2.6mi/kwh meaning that my Max pack will go ~ 387 miles. Again, the nav estimate from the start is dead on and I can go 80 mph no problem. Since the R1S is much less efficient, driving fast is not nearly the "hit" as it is in a Tesla. If I slow down and go ~ 65 mph (boring), I can even get ~ 3mi/kwh in warmer weather.

Charging the R1S can take longer because you're filling up a much bigger bucket. However, IMO this detail is for nerds. Especially as a '17 MS 90D owner long ago, the R1S (and current Tesla's) still charges fast enough to be done by the time I've finished using the restroom, getting a snack, and stretching my legs.

I find the Rivian range superior and it was a major reason for my purchase. Tesla could and should use bigger packs IMO (I understand why they don't).

Whether you could do 600 miles in one stop depends. The best scenario would be starting at 100% and your charge stop is near 10%. In a Max pack, your charge location would need to be around 270 to 335 miles from your origin (depending your efficiency). In a Large pack, your charge location would need to be around to 243 to 303 miles from your origin (depending on your efficiency). Then, charging to 90% as you can see you would only be able to make it in warm weather (and with the Large pack you'd be arriving on "fumes", which means no room for construction detours, etc). And, you're probably not going to have a charging location perfectly located at that 10% state of charge distance. Thus, you're probably going to be better off (and wayyyy less stressed) making 2 quicker charge stops (charging to 90% in any EV is going to be slowwww). And, aren't you go to need to stop more than once on an 8 to 12 hour trip anyways?

As you can see from this, you're still better off regarding range and stops in the R1S than you are in the X (if cold and going 75-85 mph).

I find the Rivian build quality and service team to be similar to Tesla. That is to say, my front drive unit had to be replaced and it took 1.5 weeks. I find the Rivian vehicle construction quality to be superior to Tesla. My Tesla interiors were the squeakiest, most hard plastic, disappointing interiors ever. The Rivian vehicle is well constructed.

Both Rivian and Tesla are the best. The R1S and X are both great. I'd find a way to test drive a R1S. As I said, it's a truck.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

10-80% you'll be looking at a 30-40 minute stop on a fast charger so plan on getting a bite to eat. Charging is about equal to Tesla now since they are available to us. You'll just have to park centered up to the station or opposite to plug in. Rivian offers station status and nav for other DCFC stations as well such as Rivian, EA, EVgo, Chargepoint etc. Rivian, Tesla and EVGo offer plug and charge like you are used to. The others you need the app and an account.

Range estimates seem more honest than Tesla's but they are all rated according to driving the speed limit.

Build quality will be like an early Tesla. Expect some squeaks and rattles. Rivian is overwhelmed on the service end. They prioritize critical service items first to keep cars safely on the road. They try but they are selling lots of cars compared to service offerings.
Rivian R1T R1S Tesla to Rivian? 2024-04-17 16.13.15

Last edited:

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Driver+ is fine but not as good as Autopilot on long curves. Driver+ slows down too much on long sweeping turns, whereas autopilot carries speed pretty well. On long straight roads, Driver+ has less phantom braking.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

It traded a 2019 M3LR for a 2022 R1T LE on Thursday. I'm answering before reading any other posts so it's all my own thoughts, some may be duplicates of other answers.

I can't speak to charging yet on the Rivian. I've had random mystery slow charge issues with the Tesla and they always say it was not a problem, gave reasons. I suspect Rivian using Superchargers will be the same.

Build quality is noticeably better. This of course is most one vehicle versus one other. However I've experienced a Y with a lot of issues and have no idea why it was like that. I've also experienced a <3 SR that was better put together. Interior luxury of my truck is BMW level. We traded a $75k BMW for the Tesla, we know.

Extremely unlikely to pull off 300 with one stop. 500, I'm sure yes, with the right driving (eco mode, not super fast). Power usage is astronomically more at 80-ish than 70-ish.

I've never driven a dual. The acceleration on mine is more addictive than heroine and crack.

Autopilot...huge difference, and why I really hesitated on the change. I ran AP 98% of the time. Rivian cannot do any real assist on city streets (mild lane-keeping but not good). However the L3 ADAS on highways does beat Tesla's which is maybe what I'd call level 2.5. The adaptive cruise on city streets is far gentler and more predictive than Tesla's. But too timid, I get on the accelerator sometimes to push it. Not a big deal. I never had Tesla's supposed phantom braking, but it would slow for several turns near my house for NO reason at all. Rivian ACC does not.

Reaching a human at Tesla is pretty well impossible until they want to reach you. Calling a human at Rivian is also impossible (I only made one attempt though). But chat and email with Rivian is FAST!

Sponsored

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
zero chance I'd try going 600 miles with 1 stop, I can make 400 miles with 1 stop.

you'd be sitting at the charger for 1.5-2 hours if you could find a charger exactly when you needed it, which is doubtful

the more charges the better assuming you can stop somewhere between 5-20% remaining charge and leave at 60-70% to only spend time at the charger at the fastest charging speed.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

you'd be sitting at the charger for 1.5-2 hours if you could find a charger exactly when you needed it, which is doubtful
I have done this with the Tesla, while towing. It reduced the range, so I had to plan my exact spots and the last 20% of charge took FOREVER. It's certainly possible, just not pleasant. It's one of my motivators for the Rivian; to avoid the penalty when I want to take my motorcycles, large gear, etc.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

It traded a 2019 M3LR for a 2022 R1T LE on Thursday. I'm answering before reading any other posts so it's all my own thoughts, some may be duplicates of other answers.

I can't speak to charging yet on the Rivian. I've had random mystery slow charge issues with the Tesla and they always say it was not a problem, gave reasons. I suspect Rivian using Superchargers will be the same.

Build quality is noticeably better. This of course is most one vehicle versus one other. However I've experienced a Y with a lot of issues and have no idea why it was like that. I've also experienced a <3 SR that was better put together. Interior luxury of my truck is BMW level. We traded a $75k BMW for the Tesla, we know.

Extremely unlikely to pull off 300 with one stop. 500, I'm sure yes, with the right driving (eco mode, not super fast). Power usage is astronomically more at 80-ish than 70-ish.

I've never driven a dual. The acceleration on mine is more addictive than heroine and crack.

Autopilot...huge difference, and why I really hesitated on the change. I ran AP 98% of the time. Rivian cannot do any real assist on city streets (mild lane-keeping but not good). However the L3 ADAS on highways does beat Tesla's which is maybe what I'd call level 2.5. The adaptive cruise on city streets is far gentler and more predictive than Tesla's. But too timid, I get on the accelerator sometimes to push it. Not a big deal. I never had Tesla's supposed phantom braking, but it would slow for several turns near my house for NO reason at all. Rivian ACC does not.

Reaching a human at Tesla is pretty well impossible until they want to reach you. Calling a human at Rivian is also impossible (I only made one attempt though). But chat and email with Rivian is FAST!
You can set the follow distance with the right scroll wheel in case you aren't familiar with the feature.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Yeah, but it's a mixed bag. In "close" settings it's closer than I'd like to be while moving. It doesn't scare me since I know the car can react, but I don't want to be a tailgating asshole since the person in front of me doesn't know my car will auto-stop. In farther settings it's extremely timid and stops 1-2 car lengths away. Right now I'm in #2 from shortest and it's a compromise.

And to be clear I'm in no way going to say one brand is better than the other; two compromises, as with everything. Also I know that I need to learn the Rivian way, while I've got years with Tesla experience.

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler, 2023 R1S
If I did not have pre-price hike pricing I would get dual motor. The 135kwh battery takes heaps of patience to charge. The battery is twice as big as my M3 and my experience with EVgo and EA proved to be far slower than Tesla SC. The dual motor battery is the same size but slightly more efficient. So as much as I love my R1S I hate driving more than 300 miles in it.
Sponsored