Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Surely no accident. Try getting a long wheel base vehicle front on into a charging station (unless of course its a straight drive in & back out - which most chargers are not). You need to reverse in. It's one of my pet hates about the R1T having the charge port at the front. Reversing has never been easier with so many cameras and sensors. Citizens of America, don't be afraid to try reverse parking. It's easy.
It's funny how different people's priorities can be isn't it?
Rivian R1T R1S The Competition: 2024 Silverado EV Reviews Are Here 1687797950581
Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

there are some parking lots with signs that say "head in parking only" and I hate that.
I find that to be legitimately outrageous. What could the justification for that possibly be?

Belem

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure, 1986 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16
I find that to be legitimately outrageous. What could the justification for that possibly be?
In states that have front and rear license plates, the only time I see that is when it's an angled parking on one way streets. But in Florida, there's a few parking lots I've been to that have those signs up. Maybe police/parking attendants can check for expired tags?

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

This is the no frills work truck and it is $78M, slightly higher than an R1T. The Silverado range is quite impressive. What is not impressive is the Silverado's payload. It is 1400# compared to my R1T's 1711#. All the reviewers talk about towing capacity which is meaningless without sufficient payload. My Airstream's tongue weight is slightly over 1000#. This means that a Silverado would afford me only 400# for passengers and cargo. A couple of medium sized passengers would use up 300#, leaving very little for tools and gear. By comparison, our 2020 Silverado 2500 Durumax has a payload of 3136#.

Our R1T will work for us towing the Airstream. The EV Silverado would be marginal at best.

Brian

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE (QM/L), 2024 Zero DSR/X
Occupation
Product Management
The Silverado range is quite impressive
As much as I'm jealous of the range, they literally just piled in more battery to get there. It nets out to less efficient than an R1T (not quite as godawful as the Hummer though), despite fewer motors, lower horsepower, etc.

Rivian R1T R1S The Competition: 2024 Silverado EV Reviews Are Here 1687801398821

Plenty of opportunity for the Max Pack to shine here.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It certainly fills a certain space right now in the market, clearly targeted at towing range and worksite use. For a general purpose truck like so many people use them for, the vehicle weight is excessive with "meh" performance. It will be interesting to see how this sells.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Head in parking is required at all airport parking facilities as a security measure. All vehicle license tags are read every hour to determine vehicle positions and movement.

Brian

rbr19870445

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 981 GT4, 3rd gen 4runner, 1st gen JDM CRV
Clubs

This has me convinced that legacy automakers (outside of Ford and Volvo) don't understand or don't care on how to build an EV.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Chevy seems to be answering questions nobody who wants a truck asks.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
If I wasnt locked in at Pre-Price Gate pricing, I would be --looking-- at the Silverado.

You can dog on the big name brand auto makers all you want (not just the big 3).. At the end of the day, there is something comforting knowing that if I need service, a local dealer is already in place, to service it.

I am not knocking Rivian here, they are building a network, and it will be a good thing.. as long as you live in a well populated area.

If I were to place an order today which one?

I am tactile in nature, and being that I have yet to put a hand on a Silverado EV...

On the other hand, I have touched, riden in, and drove, a Rivian.

So the order remains with a Rivian

Last edited:

clcbjc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tahoe and Z07
Any real trade worker will not pay $78k for a work truck. An HD 2500, double cab, long bed with some options is $51,000 MSRP. Large companies with public sustainable goals will buy a few. And I forgot, of course the local governments will pony up the money.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I am not knocking Rivian here, they are building a network, and it will be a good thing.. as long as you live in a well populated area.
Phoenix is well populated, but it took me 7 weeks to get a service appointment and my truck has already been there for 5 days. When I arrived they had 6-8 Amazon vans there, in addition to R1s, then I was told it is the end of the quarter so they need to get new deliveries out. Maybe I will get my truck back for the holiday weekend.
Sponsored