Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, R2 res, Tesla S, 3, X, Y, Cybertruck
Occupation
Upgrading Electric Vehicles
Clubs

I've already had three of mine fall off in the first week. Just driving on New England roads, no off road.

This is very strange, I'd like to have our engineer connect with you and see what the deal is - we've driven thousands of miles without trouble, so we need to carefully inspect your wheels and see what is going on. I'll PM you! Obviously we'll figure this out and make sure you're covered, literally!
Sponsored

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I didn't receive any extras.
They come in sets of 20, no extras are included. If someone got an extra it is because someone miscounted :)

holmespun

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra 2014 1794 Edition
Occupation
Photographer
This is very strange, I'd like to have our engineer connect with you and see what the deal is - we've driven thousands of miles without trouble, so we need to carefully inspect your wheels and see what is going on. I'll PM you! Obviously we'll figure this out and make sure you're covered, literally!
Thanks. I really appreciate you reaching out. I've actually lost four of them now, so something definitely isn't right.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
Thanks. I really appreciate you reaching out. I've actually lost four of them now, so something definitely isn't right.
Have you gone around and checked they are all pressed in fully?

I lost one within the first couple days and no more in ten days since, even with some very aggressive driving (sport, lowest, stiff, fast around curves etc). 🤞

I'm wondering if some might have slight defects in the clips or something.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They come in sets of 20, no extras are included. If someone got an extra it is because someone miscounted :)
Weird I thought an extra was included intentionally, thought I vaguely remember reading that somewhere. Good thing as I needed it on day 2. No more have come off since fortunately.

Sponsored

holmespun

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra 2014 1794 Edition
Occupation
Photographer
Have you gone around and checked they are all pressed in fully?

I lost one within the first couple days and no more in ten days since, even with some very aggressive driving (sport, lowest, stiff, fast around curves etc). 🤞

I'm wondering if some might have slight defects in the clips or something.
Yes, they all seem to be fully pressed in.

There do seem to be some defects. Two of the ones I received were slightly warped. One wouldn't click in at all, and one was pretty loose.

To their credit, EV Sportline reached out by email and are working with me to figure out what is going on.

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Yes, they all seem to be fully pressed in.

There do seem to be some defects. Two of the ones I received were slightly warped. One wouldn't click in at all, and one was pretty loose.

To their credit, EV Sportline reached out by email and are working with me to figure out what is going on.
Yes, guys I think we had a few QC defect slip by - we'll get those tossed out, and ensure all are good. If ANYONE has one that was a problem, apologies, but just PM or contact us at [email protected] and we'll get you replacements! Thanks again gang! 🙏🏻

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
Yes, guys I think we had a few QC defect slip by - we'll get those tossed out, and ensure all are good. If ANYONE has one that was a problem, apologies, but just PM or contact us at [email protected] and we'll get you replacements! Thanks again gang! 🙏🏻
Is there anything we can look out for before or during installation?

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Is there anything we can look out for before or during installation?
yes, if the aero insert is warped (ie doesnt snap into place securely). We had some early production units that got mixed in, and those are warped. You can tell, the couple guys we talked to stated such - ie, had one that was warped and didnt snap in.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So, I did a thing. I put on @twraps gunmetal staple covers, @brainexploder chrome delete on the butt, and @AO_Pete hook covers (love all these). I'm still thinking about these @EV Sportline aero covers, thinking maybe I should've gone black as the grey is lighter than the wheels, but the most important part is actual efficiency gains. Drum roll please...

Rivian R1T R1S The first (and only) Aero Spoke Inserts for Rivian R1T / R1S 20" All-Terrain Wheels! PXL_20230802_013810379~2

Rivian R1T R1S The first (and only) Aero Spoke Inserts for Rivian R1T / R1S 20" All-Terrain Wheels! PXL_20230802_013819841~3

Starting from a "cold" battery in a 65°F garages, mild 67° AC running low both tests, with identical 60s° temperature and 70mph for the 21 highway miles in All Purpose Standard Soft ride, I'm seeing a 4% efficiency hit in my first test 🤔. There was slow traffic in a normal 50mph drive getting to the highway for painting new road lines, effecting time and speed, but I thought slow would've helped it. Maybe not.

Rivian R1T R1S The first (and only) Aero Spoke Inserts for Rivian R1T / R1S 20" All-Terrain Wheels! PXL_20230731_154250681~3

Rivian R1T R1S The first (and only) Aero Spoke Inserts for Rivian R1T / R1S 20" All-Terrain Wheels! PXL_20230802_154129921~3

I'll try again next week, I'm not making the normal commute again till then. I'm pretty perplexed. Am I forgetting to hit a button?

Sponsored

Ivman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Y Performance, 2016 Ram Rebel, R1T
Clubs

My anecdotal experience is same or worse efficiency too. Nothing too noticable either way.

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Thanks again for sharing all your experiences! BTW, they look good with your collection of mods!

Guys, please keep in mind the number of variables impacting "range" are near limitless. We can spend a lot of time discussing everything that varies during a drive, all of which impact range. It is not an easy science to test.

The only accurate way to measure the efficiency of a component is in a controlled environment with proper measurement instrumentation, where the only change is the component, A vs B. We do this by looking at wheel face A vs wheel face B and comparing the energy used to rotate the wheel at a set speed, under a fixed airflow. The delta in energy draw is used to calculate efficiency.

Everything else is subject to errors; some will be 'favorable' and some will be 'unfavorable', as we've seen. If you really want to track your gain, I'd recommend looking at mi/kWh over the long run (talking like 3-5k miles in one configuration, vs 3-5k miles in another configuration). Over the long haul is much better than short trips.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks again for sharing all your experiences! BTW, they look good with your collection of mods!

Guys, please keep in mind the number of variables impacting "range" are near limitless. We can spend a lot of time discussing everything that varies during a drive, all of which impact range. It is not an easy science to test.

The only accurate way to measure the efficiency of a component is in a controlled environment with proper measurement instrumentation, where the only change is the component, A vs B. We do this by looking at wheel face A vs wheel face B and comparing the energy used to rotate the wheel at a set speed, under a fixed airflow. The delta in energy draw is used to calculate efficiency.

Everything else is subject to errors; some will be 'favorable' and some will be 'unfavorable', as we've seen. If you really want to track your gain, I'd recommend looking at mi/kWh over the long run (talking like 3-5k miles in one configuration, vs 3-5k miles in another configuration). Over the long haul is much better than short trips.
A controlled test at a set speed and conditions, temperature, battery %, distance, wind, etc seems better than over 100s or a couple thousand miles of general usage because the latter will potentially have far greater variation. Like in my case I might be towing and or going off road for some significant part of say a 1000 mile test, but then not on the other 1000 miles.

You can't say "the only real world results that will matter are comparing over 1000s of miles" on the one hand, and "you can only get meaningful results from a controlled scientific comparison" on the other.

If the only way to really test is in a controlled environment, which presumably you've done months ago to make sure the product actually functions as advertised before putting it to market, why have you still not released those results?

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, I did a thing. I put on @twraps gunmetal staple covers, @brainexploder chrome delete on the butt, and @AO_Pete hook covers (love all these). I'm still thinking about these @EV Sportline aero covers, thinking maybe I should've gone black as the grey is lighter than the wheels, but the most important part is actual efficiency gains. Drum roll please...

PXL_20230802_013810379~2.jpg

PXL_20230802_013819841~3.jpg

Starting from a "cold" battery in a 65°F garages, mild 67° AC running low both tests, with identical 60s° temperature and 70mph for the 21 highway miles in All Purpose Standard Soft ride, I'm seeing a 4% efficiency hit in my first test 🤔. There was slow traffic in a normal 50mph drive getting to the highway for painting new road lines, effecting time and speed, but I thought slow would've helped it. Maybe not.

PXL_20230731_154250681~3.jpg

PXL_20230802_154129921~3.jpg

I'll try again next week, I'm not making the normal commute again till then. I'm pretty perplexed. Am I forgetting to hit a button?
This kinda lines up with my original test I posted about above.

I'm quite busy but I'm hopefully going to find time to try again soon.

OP
OP
EV Sportline

EV Sportline

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evsportline.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

A controlled test at a set speed and conditions, temperature, battery %, distance, wind, etc seems better than over 100s or a couple thousand miles of general usage because the latter will potentially have far greater variation. Like in my case I might be towing and or going off road for some significant part of say a 1000 mile test, but then not on the other 1000 miles.

You can't say "the only real world results that will matter are comparing over 1000s of miles" on the one hand, and "you can only get meaningful results from a controlled scientific comparison" on the other.

If the only way to really test is in a controlled environment, which presumably you've done months ago to make sure the product actually functions as advertised before putting it to market, why have you still not released those results?
We have shared the expected efficiency gain range, posted earlier in this thread. I would like to share some photos of the testing and test rig, it's pretty cool looking stuff - but the testing is very expense, so going back to take photos is not a quick and easy thing. We are building our own test rig in house, because we're doing more aero covers and need to insource the testing - that will be finished later this year. But regardless of what we tested or claim, we don't want to argue with customers. Customers need to be happy with the product - regardless of what we say - we stand behind that. If you do your own testing and that's what matters to you and for whatever reason you're not satisfied, we respect that and we're happy to take them back for a refund - no problem! We're here to serve and please, not to argue :) Thanks everyone! 🙏🏻
Sponsored