Sponsored

Tire costs, about what Gas costs per mile.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
@Greg Chick Did the dealer say if there was a tread warranty with the new tires? Others have posted that the OEMs don’t offer and tread warranty, but replacement tires definitely should, right?
Just call Pirelli USA yourself and ask them if any Rivian supplied tires (even replacement ones coming from a Rivian Service Center) carry a treadwear warranty?

Pirelli USA: 800-747-3554

I'll save you 15min on the phone:
I called Pirelli USA a few days ago.. there are no non-OEM Pirelli variants for the 21" and 22" tires so you are SOL as far as treadwear warranty is concerned.
For the 20" tires.. the tires Rivian buys from Pirelli are all "OEM"- every singe one of them.. which carry no treadwear warranty regardless if they come with your truck straight off the line or you get them from a SC as replacement tires. You can however, get the same tire (with raised white lettering on one side) from tirerack, discount tire, etc.. that is not "OEM" branded and that tire will carry the full 50,000 mi treadwear warranty. You can keep the raised white lettering turned inward if you like since these are not directional tires.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I bought used, I had no wait or choice, maybe the guy that sold to me could have said something.
In all fairness, he probably didn't know as many Rivian employees even are mistaken regarding the treadwear warranty.

I know that if I get a blowout on one of my 20"s that is not repairable.. I will not be ordering the replacement from Rivian.

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

10k on my 20s, only used conserve a short bit on a road trip to Idaho. I have some wear but based on current wear I expect them to make another 10k before being close to needing replacement, barring any offroading damage (been lucky so far).

I struggle to understand how others get so much worse performance. Roads in my area aren't exactly the best, and I drive my R1T like it's stolen, so can't just be a lead-foot issue.

I too wonder, is it really the G force expense that is so easy to use? or is there a tire conspiracy using supper soft rubber, then having that tire the only tire that is available to put on the R1T as well that tire costs twice the other tires? Ok, no conspiracy, but I used to get over 40 and 50 K on $150 tires.

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

In all fairness, he probably didn't know as many Rivian employees even are mistaken regarding the treadwear warranty.

I know that if I get a blowout on one of my 20"s that is not repairable.. I will not be ordering the replacement from Rivian.

I consider the Rivian Tech a very high grade Tech as well a cool guy. I think the EV industry has growing pain$. That is dollar sign in place of an S .

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

That's been my experience with Pirelli. Junk which is why there's no warranty.

Sponsored

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

I’m at 7k and just rotated my tires. I ended up just moving my front two to the rear, and rear to front. I did this because the front tires are just over 6/32, while rears were 9/32.

This is on the OEM 21s. Im usually in AP standard or low, maybe few hundred freeway miles on Conserve. Regen standard. I suspect the wear deviation is largely due to the commute I have which is on a somewhat windy freeway. Those that are familiar with the 110 fwy in Los Angeles know what I’m talking about.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I’m at 7k and just rotated my tires. I ended up just moving my front two to the rear, and rear to front. I did this because the front tires are just over 6/32, while rears were 9/32.

This is on the OEM 21s. Im usually in AP standard or low, maybe few hundred freeway miles on Conserve. Regen standard. I suspect the wear deviation is largely due to the commute I have which is on a somewhat windy freeway. Those that are familiar with the 110 fwy in Los Angeles know what I’m talking about.
Howdy, neighbor.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I replaced my 2 front 21" Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires this last March 16th., with the same. I have driven about 5,000 miles since then. About 30 miles in snow mode, many in Conserve, after seeing wear, switched to standard height. Now only drive in All Terrain standard height.
If I use the easy math of $1,000 for a pair of tires and figure I will be at the must replace point by the 6,000-mile use point, it will cost me .16.66 cents per mile in tire cost alone.
If my math is correct, that is like getting 30 MPG at about the California cost of about @5. per gallon. But this cost is for tires alone that are hard to find and twice the price of normal tires.
When I replaced the 2 front tires the tech did not see wear that said alignment issues existed. Those original tires got 17,000 mile range. I thought that was a bit short, but hey this is a heavy truck. Now I get almost a third of that in mileage before needing replacement! This is in 5 months. I do not do launch mode, I travel mostly highway, no off roading. I and am not a racer because my Honda C-RV All four SUV got well over 50,000 miles on its tires. And the brakes were about 50% wear at that point. I do not compare the 2 vehicles, I compare my driving style to that wear and mileage.

What I have described, is in my mind and history of owning trucks and cars, way out of line. If the tires were $150-$200, the cost would be cut in half, but the trouble getting tires is yet another very difficult task.

The rotation mileage recommendation is more than the tire life itself! I did not even look at my tires till I thought I should see if the tires needed rotation earlier than what I read in this site to be a rotation point. Some have said 9,000-mile increment is the recommended increment. Also, some have posted here that 5,000 miles is needed.
I have 22,000 miles on my 21 road tires and still have more than half tread left. Rotate every 5,000 miles and plan to get 40,000 miles before replacing.

Sponsored

First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
With nearly 18K miles on my T there is no reason to plan on less than 25K miles before having to replace. Driving mostly All-Purpose except for a few longer trips using Conserve mode. Rotations every 7000 miles. I drive conservatively for the most part except a few occasions showing off or leaving an annoyance in the dust.

SpawnyWhippet

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 McLaren 570S, 2019 BMW i3
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
I replaced my 2 front 21" Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season tires this last March 16th., with the same. I have driven about 5,000 miles since then. About 30 miles in snow mode, many in Conserve, after seeing wear, switched to standard height. Now only drive in All Terrain standard height.
If I use the easy math of $1,000 for a pair of tires and figure I will be at the must replace point by the 6,000-mile use point, it will cost me .16.66 cents per mile in tire cost alone.
If my math is correct, that is like getting 30 MPG at about the California cost of about @5. per gallon. But this cost is for tires alone that are hard to find and twice the price of normal tires.
When I replaced the 2 front tires the tech did not see wear that said alignment issues existed. Those original tires got 17,000 mile range. I thought that was a bit short, but hey this is a heavy truck. Now I get almost a third of that in mileage before needing replacement! This is in 5 months. I do not do launch mode, I travel mostly highway, no off roading. I and am not a racer because my Honda C-RV All four SUV got well over 50,000 miles on its tires. And the brakes were about 50% wear at that point. I do not compare the 2 vehicles, I compare my driving style to that wear and mileage.

What I have described, is in my mind and history of owning trucks and cars, way out of line. If the tires were $150-$200, the cost would be cut in half, but the trouble getting tires is yet another very difficult task.

The rotation mileage recommendation is more than the tire life itself! I did not even look at my tires till I thought I should see if the tires needed rotation earlier than what I read in this site to be a rotation point. Some have said 9,000-mile increment is the recommended increment. Also, some have posted here that 5,000 miles is needed.
I'm at 7,000 miles on my R1T and the tires look brand new, over 90% tread remaining. Running 22" Sport Bright, most of my miles are commuting stop/start 0 - 50mph.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
I briefly scanned this thread. So apologies if I missed something, but is it true there are no good 22” replacement tires? Our R1S has 14,500 miles on it and already needs new tires. Really disappointed.

Americas tire is quoting $2,500 to replace them. Not only is this a lot of money but burning through tires this quickly is certainly not environmentally friendly. At this rate we will need new tires every 9-12 months.

Rivian R1T R1S Tire costs, about what Gas costs per mile. IMG_8701

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

I briefly scanned this thread. So apologies if I missed something, but is it true there are no good 22” replacement tires? Our R1S has 14,500 miles on it and already needs new tires. Really disappointed.

Americas tire is quoting $2,500 to replace them. Not only is this a lot of money but burning through tires this quickly is certainly not environmentally friendly. At this rate we will need new tires every 9-12 months.

IMG_8701.jpeg
I think the tire industry can make a longer lasting tire that will fit the rims and the weight and the power. The weight capacity is known, the factors needed to build a tire are known, the options are known. Rubber exists that carries 10,000 pound vehicles without dual wheels and with any tread, and rim size.

Smokey

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I have almost 30000 miles on my 20 ats haven't been that great at rotating them and don't drive like a grandma. I feel like I'll get 40 to 50 thousand out of them. I'm pretty much always in standard height all purpose.
Sponsored