First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired
Towed my boat to our summer lake. Plugged in the trailer, range cut in half. My trip was 65 miles, 80% charge, truck said I would have 43 miles at destination. Handled the boat well on the freeway and back roads. Elevation gain was 1000 ft on the trip. Once launched, and trailer disconnected, range showed 120 miles. All in all a great experience. R1T Quad.

Rivian R1T R1S Towing 9000 Lb Boat and Trailer - Results IMG_1391
Rivian R1T R1S Towing 9000 Lb Boat and Trailer - Results IMG_1392
Sponsored

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
That boat doesn't look that big in the front view, but once you see it from the side... it's a whole different story.

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

What was your efficiency? It's a nice boat for sure. Triple axle trailer.

Kidentist

First Name
Carlitos way
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Cayenne E-Hybrid, R1T DM Std.+
Occupation
Mouth Janitor
Jesus.....that's an aircraft carrier.......😲

Sponsored

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

Eti

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
it manager
Rivian recommand using weight distribution hitch for towing over 5000 pounds. I know weight distribution hitch are not ideal on Y frame trailer,...have you consider weight distibution hitch for your setup or it tow well?

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Most boat trailers have surge hydraulic brakes, and you need a specialized WD setup for it. A normal one would be deadly. Also, boats have a far lower ratio of tongue weight for trailer weight, as compared to any other type of trailer. So the recommendations need to be adjusted upward for them. I've towed boats up to 18k on the road for short trips, and 12k cross country. It's very different from a travel trailer, and handle better than a TT at much lower weight.

Eti

First Name
Etienne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
it manager
Yes indeed most boat trailer have surge brake but some weight distribution hitch are compatible with them, my issue is that my boat trailer manufacturer recommand against using one because of the Y tongue type of my aluminium boat trailer, they say it would put to much stress on it. But at the opposite RIvian recommand using one at that weight rating and I don't know if it is for the same reason reducing the stress on the rear axle, suspension. For the weight balance my boat is well balance and have tow hit without weight distribution system, but I am just worry about the air suspension/rear axle of the rivian....

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I would have zero worries about the suspension, assuming the trailer has the correct tongue weight. I would definitely measure it. One time I ended up with a very unbalanced setup because I bought it from a moron. I knew it was out of whack, but the scale was scary. It was around 2500 pounds on the hitch. Insane.

Dock4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Beautiful Paragon! Impressed the T can tow it that well. Just ordered my 2025 G25 but don’t plan on towing with my Rivian much.

OP
OP

LSteele

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Retired
Great comments on the WDH. You are correct, most boat trailers are not set up to accept that type of setup. This trailer has electric over hydraulic, which was new to me. When I plugged in the boat and pulled a few blocks, the truck recognized the load to be 10,000 lbs. Also the proportional breaking adjustment worked great. By pressing on the right scroll wheel, there was about a two second delay, then the brakes applied smoothly. I will never be pulling the boat over 100 miles, just happy I can. I felt the whole setup was safe. I think the brake setup as well as the Rivians integration with the trailer are the secret. Again, great experience. Now for the fun, Surfs Up!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

This trailer has electric over hydraulic
You may already know this, but it means you can use any WDH that works with that trailer style. But if it rides level without it, I wouldn't bother.
Sponsored