ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

This afternoon I went to use the R1T. Won’t unlock from app, card, or fob. I used it last night, charged to 70%. I call, Rivian tries a remote unlock, says it won’t go through, and tell me it looks like my 12v system is low. Never got any errors on that. My next available mobile appointment…in 3 weeks. Good thing I have a secondary vehicle. Most people don’t. They never brought up alternate transportation on the phone (I don’t remember saying I had another vehicle).
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

This afternoon I went to use the R1T. Won’t unlock from app, card, or fob. I used it last night, charged to 70%. I call, Rivian tries a remote unlock, says it won’t go through, and tell me it looks like my 12v system is low. Never got any errors on that. My next available mobile appointment…in 3 weeks. Good thing I have a secondary vehicle. Most people don’t. They never brought up alternate transportation on the phone (I don’t remember saying I had another vehicle).
Ugh, sorry to hear that!

Do you know which software version you’re on? 2023. 26 was just released and a 12V charging strategy change was part of the update, I think. If you were on 2023.22 then that’s not the case.

OP
OP
ads75

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Ugh, sorry to hear that!

Do you know which software version you’re on? 2023. 26 was just released and a 12V charging strategy change was part of the update, I think. If you were on 2023.22 then that’s not the case.
I’m on 2023.26.0. I think I updated it on Monday or Tuesday, so maybe one days driving on the new software. I have about 9000 miles, picked up in Nov 2022.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Now you have me worried. Too early to really say, but it looks like I have dramatically lower phantom drain so I'm guessing the new 12V strategy is being used on my truck they introduced in 2023.26. Hope they get you taken care of quickly!

OP
OP
ads75

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Thanks, I am hoping something earlier opens up, really wasn’t expecting to have a dead weight sitting in my driveway for that long.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Have you tried using the jumpers?

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Mine did this after an update several versions ago, you can put a battery pack jumper on the leads at the hitch and might get enough juice to unlock/open frunk. If you can get into frunk you can put a charger on the batteries by removing the plastic behind tub. Likely one or both are dead, but worth a shot if you’re handy.

Mine died in a Lowes parking lot, they had it towed to the SC the same day. Crazy they are making you wait for an appointment for a bricked truck, might push on that.

OP
OP
ads75

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Have you tried using the jumpers?
I haven’t tried, luckily it died in my driveway. I can’t say I’d trust it until they fix it otherwise. I’d feel like a fool if I got stuck somewhere.

OP
OP
ads75

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Mine did this after an update several versions ago, you can put a battery pack jumper on the leads at the hitch and might get enough juice to unlock/open frunk. If you can get into frunk you can put a charger on the batteries by removing the plastic behind tub. Likely one or both are dead, but worth a shot if you’re handy.

Mine died in a Lowes parking lot, they had it towed to the SC the same day. Crazy they are making you wait for an appointment for a bricked truck, might push on that.
They told me that it looked like they were at about 30% charge from what they could see remotely. So they could see it, but not let me know about it ahead of time. And you’re right, I may push a little harder for a quicker fix. Unfortunately my nearest Service Center is in Brooklyn, 2.5 hours each way, and I think I would need to pay around $1200 to have the truck towed back to me if they came out and got it.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I’m on 2023.26.0. I think I updated it on Monday or Tuesday, so maybe one days driving on the new software. I have about 9000 miles, picked up in Nov 2022.
Thanks for the info and I’m hoping that’s pure coincidence.

I hope our L.A. / SoCal / OC Rivian clubs excursion to Santiago Peak goes smoothly tomorrow. :whew:

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Have you tried putting a charger on the leads by the hitch? Or you can undo the bolts (Torx T15 or T20) in the driver's side wheel well and pop the frunk to get to the batteries directly. Maybe worth a shot?

OP
OP
ads75

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Have you tried putting a charger on the leads by the hitch? Or you can undo the bolts (Torx T15 or T20) in the driver's side wheel well and pop the frunk to get to the batteries directly. Maybe worth a shot?
I haven’t tried, but if it did work, how long would it work for? I never received a warning about the 12v system. Right now, it’s in my drive way. Most convenient spot. I don’t want to get stuck at work, the grocery store with groceries I paid for, or somewhere else. I will just drive my Jeep for the next few weeks. I really feel like I should’ve gotten a warning before failure, on a voltage point that could be monitored (and is monitored by Rivian). I drove last night. Instead of “now it’s broke”.

OP
OP
ads75

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I think my biggest disappointment isn’t that the 12v batteries died with no warning, but the earliest mobile service appointment is 3 weeks out. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised given some of the other posts I’ve read. They blocked off 3 hours for the fix, probably a minimum standard time for most mobile services.

Rivian likes to tout mobile service, but not its service times. And it doesn’t matter until someone needs it. People have asked me if I would recommend a Rivian. I have always said so far so good, but tell them the nearest service center is 2.5 hours away. Now I will be able to tell them about my mobile service experience, in 3 weeks month, when it happens. I knew going in it’s a new company, growing up will have difficulties. I am in the fortunate position to have a second vehicle, most people aren’t. A few weeks ago I also had a false “motor drive error”. A reboot fixed it.

Just to put things a little bit further into perspective, previously I’ve owned 2 Acuras, one I drove for 174k miles, the other 125k miles. Between the two of them, I think they stayed overnight for maybe 5 times, when the dealer seemed busy, because they really didn’t need anything other than state inspections/oil/tires/brakes. But now, due to dead 12v batteries (maybe something with the 12v charging system), it’s a minimum of 3 weeks. I think in 30 years of driving the longest a dealer had my car was a little over a week. But on the other hand it took 2 Jeep dealers a total of 4 months to fix/replace my radio, but that was still drivable.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I think my biggest disappointment isn’t that the 12v batteries died with no warning, but the earliest mobile service appointment is 3 weeks out. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised given some of the other posts I’ve read. They blocked off 3 hours for the fix, probably a minimum standard time for most mobile services.

Rivian likes to tout mobile service, but not its service times. And it doesn’t matter until someone needs it. People have asked me if I would recommend a Rivian. I have always said so far so good, but tell them the nearest service center is 2.5 hours away. Now I will be able to tell them about my mobile service experience, in 3 weeks month, when it happens. I knew going in it’s a new company, growing up will have difficulties. I am in the fortunate position to have a second vehicle, most people aren’t. A few weeks ago I also had a false “motor drive error”. A reboot fixed it.

Just to put things a little bit further into perspective, previously I’ve owned 2 Acuras, one I drove for 174k miles, the other 125k miles. Between the two of them, I think they stayed overnight for maybe 5 times, when the dealer seemed busy, because they really didn’t need anything other than state inspections/oil/tires/brakes. But now, due to dead 12v batteries (maybe something with the 12v charging system), it’s a minimum of 3 weeks. I think in 30 years of driving the longest a dealer had my car was a little over a week. But on the other hand it took 2 Jeep dealers a total of 4 months to fix/replace my radio, but that was still drivable.
This sucks, but for all the ICE vehicles I’ve had, there was no warning that the battery would imminently die. The vehicles just would not start. Tesla can provide warnings for low 12V batteries, and agree Rivian needs to implement this as well. Hopefully they can get you back on the road quickly.
Sponsored