Sponsored

Will I be the only Rivian in New England?

JCElectricSUV

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLC 43
Occupation
MGR
Clubs

Somebody has to start some conversation in the New England locale!!!
I did the configurator last week and am waiting for a Launch Green LE R1T with the black interior? Pre-ordered on 25 April 2019. Who else is out there?
I am moving from Georgia to Providence, RI this Fall. Preordered an R1S 2/20 (July-Sept eta). The big question for me is what wheels to get for New England winters. We don't plan on doing heavy off roading, but some sand, forest trails etc. 95% will be on pavement, but should I be configuring the 20" all terrains or 22' sport wheels. I don't really want to deal with two sets of tires/wheels. Thanks for any advice!

ShrinkDoc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, VW Alltrack
Occupation
Psychiatrist
Thanks for all the pics, @SomervilleR1T and @jose. I might have to take a drive over to Chelsea. Were they cool with you walking around the lot and perusing the inventory? I'd really like to see one in person and check out all the colors. Doubt I'll be getting a call anytime soon, but all the local activity over the past week leaves me hopeful :fingerscrossed:

jose

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sonata
Thanks for all the pics, @SomervilleR1T and @jose. I might have to take a drive over to Chelsea. Were they cool with you walking around the lot and perusing the inventory? I'd really like to see one in person and check out all the colors. Doubt I'll be getting a call anytime soon, but all the local activity over the past week leaves me hopeful :fingerscrossed:
I shamelessly walked around and nobody said anything to me 🤷🏽‍♂️ I even said hi to the service center people who I’m sure thought I was a lunatic for stalking their trucks but I’m too old to care.

Sponsored

jagged

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Buick LaCrosse
Occupation
Principal Engineer
Clubs

Just to add - I received my 8-step email Sunday afternoon and received a text from Boston service center stating my Rivian was on site pending PDI. They scheduled delivery for 5/28 @ my home.

SomervilleR1T

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 Chevy diesel, 1947 Dodge truck, MG midget
Occupation
Historic house steward
GO OVER! They are totally acclimated to everyone losing it right now. Russ is the center manager, is really nice, chatted with me for a while (he was the 2nd R1T in the state behind R1T_of_ma aka Nigel whose had his blue T EVERYWHERE), didn’t stop me from looking at VIN’s to find the Launch Green one going to Maine tomorrow. They won’t let you in one, but they didn’t stop me from taking pictures, lots of pictures.

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I am moving from Georgia to Providence, RI this Fall. Preordered an R1S 2/20 (July-Sept eta). The big question for me is what wheels to get for New England winters. We don't plan on doing heavy off roading, but some sand, forest trails etc. 95% will be on pavement, but should I be configuring the 20" all terrains or 22' sport wheels. I don't really want to deal with two sets of tires/wheels. Thanks for any advice!
There are some long threads in these forums with opinions on this but one major thing to keep in mind is that the 21" size is new and unique to Rivian so there are no other tires in that size from anyone yet.

The 22 should be more common and the 20" should be the most common.

I suggest searching the forum and doing a bunch of reading but personally I'm going with the 20" so I can easily swap to snow tires if I need

Edit: also worth noting, I'm up in Vermont in the mountains, so much harsher winter here than Providence. Personally I think you'd be fine with the stock 20 or 21 tires

Last edited:

Newb26

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, BMW i3
Clubs

If you’re worried about moving from no winter to snow and ice, and what to expect. All the wheel options will do just fine for your mostly on road driving year round. I live in Maine and have to get to work no matter the weather and often leave before the plow has been around. If there’s a foot of snow on my driveway or in the parking lot at work, nothing beats the AT tires on my Jeep, but other than those occasions road tires are better. If you don’t have to go in deep mud or snow, get the road tires. They’ll be more comfortable and more efficient. I’m getting the 22”!

adrock1212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Kia Soul EV
GO OVER! They are totally acclimated to everyone losing it right now. Russ is the center manager, is really nice, chatted with me for a while (he was the 2nd R1T in the state behind R1T_of_ma aka Nigel whose had his blue T EVERYWHERE), didn’t stop me from looking at VIN’s to find the Launch Green one going to Maine tomorrow. They won’t let you in one, but they didn’t stop me from taking pictures, lots of pictures.
Except you didn't get a picture of my FG with black AT wheels. LOL. But seriously @SomervilleR1T really do appreciate the posts and the updates. I feel like I am there with you. :)

Sponsored

SomervilleR1T

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 Chevy diesel, 1947 Dodge truck, MG midget
Occupation
Historic house steward
Except you didn't get a picture of my FG with black AT wheels. LOL. But seriously @SomervilleR1T really do appreciate the posts and the updates. I feel like I am there with you. :)
Sorry, I only got a picture of the black 22’s and not on either
Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? 753ED9D0-FCCA-4A22-8928-A1FF80AE2E80
green

hahaha

Aubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder
If you’re worried about moving from no winter to snow and ice, and what to expect. All the wheel options will do just fine for your mostly on road driving year round. I live in Maine and have to get to work no matter the weather and often leave before the plow has been around. If there’s a foot of snow on my driveway or in the parking lot at work, nothing beats the AT tires on my Jeep, but other than those occasions road tires are better. If you don’t have to go in deep mud or snow, get the road tires. They’ll be more comfortable and more efficient. I’m getting the 22”!
One thing to watch out for are the pot holes from all the plowing. All terrain tires should hold up better due to the beefier sidewalls. Also not sure how well Providence plows/salts. I'm in Boston and they're on top of it but you can immediately tell when drive past the city limits when you suddenly move from clear roads to 1 inch of snow on then. (Looking at you Newton and Brookline)

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

@SomervilleR1T reported accurately, and I picked up my R1T today!

according to the delivery guide, it was the first forest edge interior they’d seen!

Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? 202651A0-C757-422A-972E-68B1FA6CA3F2

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

BTW, how sweet is the puddle light???

Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? 66F7EA09-2980-4051-9E83-9C8E627CA113

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Great to see Chelsea open and buzzing! I need to swing by again soon and say hi. Hopefully they will have a parts/accessories/merch stock at some point? It seems silly that Rivian send all this big heavy stuff via UPS when I could just drop in there.
Sponsored