Sponsored

Adhesive front license plate

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
^ I would keep the original govt. issued front plate stored in the vehicle at all times. If you get pulled over and questions arise.. show the PO the original plate. Can't see that being a problem at that point...
I was pulled over in Oregon for not having a front plate. Showed the officer I had the plate in the glove box... I also had my trip permit that was still valid (bought the vehicle just a few days prior). He told me he wasn't going to write a ticket because the trip permit was still valid, but he warned that without that trip permit I would have gotten a ticket. I installed the front plate that afternoon.

Having the plate inside the vehicle is not sufficient in states that require front plates.
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
No - I can find documentation that supports California allowing it but can not find anything specific on TX. Having a modified plate seems like a potential hazard, but maybe I am being paranoid.
Just got the Snapplate for $110....up to $200 fine in Texas for no front plate...but i have vanity plates, so don't mind showing them from the front too. lol

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Having the plate inside the vehicle is not sufficient in states that require front plates.
the ticket is generally for not properly displaying a number plate, the rules most places are worded so that it must be an official plate, mounted externally at the front of the vehicle.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I just ordered one from the California DMV approved vendor. These are a great idea.
Did you go with the license plate wrap or the snap on plate you mentioned? I have been thinking about the wrap. A little concerned License Plate Wrap mentions it is a pilot program. If I did get one I would want to mount it low which means I would have to form it to the bumper molding.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Did you go with the license plate wrap or the snap on plate you mentioned? I have been thinking about the wrap. A little concerned License Plate Wrap mentions it is a pilot program. If I did get one I would want to mount it low which means I would have to form it to the bumper molding.
I got both but decided not to put on the wrap and just have the snap plate in my trunk on hand in case I need it.

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I got both but decided not to put on the wrap and just have the snap plate in my trunk on hand in case I need it.
The I took it to a car show and forgot to put it back on defense. 😂

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
When you configure the truck or purchase, isn't there an option to get it delivered without the front plate frame installed?

Last edited:

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
When you can figure the truck or purchase, isn't there an option to get it delivered without the front plate installed?
Not for me, and I am pretty sure they never deliver with it installed since that requires drilling into the bumper. They will ask your permission first.

"Here's your new lux truck, we went ahead and put some extra holes in the bodywork for you!"

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Explorer Limited, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Not for me, and I am pretty sure they never deliver with it installed since that requires drilling into the bumper. They will ask your permission first.

"Here's your new lux truck, we went ahead and put some extra holes in the bodywork for you!"
It happens more than you think at dealerships for sports cars.

I thought I shared elsewhere on this forum but there are a lot of offerings out there for no drill plates. They even have ones that automatically flip up with the touch of a button. I use this on my mustang and it had worked great for 7 years.

https://ccmustangbrackets.com/products/2015-2021-s550-mustang-bracket

It's marketed for a mustang but it has an adhesive mount on the back of the bracket that should work with any car

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I ordered some after seeing this thread but have been hesitant to put them on. I have not been able to sort out if they could result in me getting arrested or fined for forging a government document.
I've heard that the punishment is public flogging!

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier

I can't find it now but I swear when I configured the truck at some point it asked. I've seen it happen with other vehicles. Tesla put one on the Model. S but it was just adhesive and you could take the front plate frame off. I had to ask the dealer repeatedly not to do it on my Lexus and the Mazda dealer drilled holes and installed it on the millennia without asking.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I can't find it now but I swear when I configured the truck at some point it asked. I've seen it happen with other vehicles. Tesla put one on the Model. S but it was just adhesive and you could take the front plate frame off. I had to ask the dealer repeatedly not to do it on my Lexus and the Mazda dealer drilled holes and installed it on the millennia without asking.
I believe, in California at least, that the dealer has a duty of installing the front plate/bracket. If you decide to opt out (which is illegal, but to each their own) they usually make you sign a release form so the buyer is liable (for breaking the law).

Tanquen

First Name
Hope you enjoye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Nissan Frontier
I believe, in California at least, that the dealer has a duty of installing the front plate/bracket. If you decide to opt out (which is illegal, but to each their own) they usually make you sign a release form so the buyer is liable (for breaking the law).
Just because you do not want something drilled and mounted don't mean you are not going to put a different mount or type of plate on it.

You should follow the law or vote to get it changed. In my area tons of illegal car mods are defacto legal because they gave up enforcing them.
Sponsored