DELaunchR1S

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'm in Utah and seeing decent efficiency numbers on my 20" OEMs pirellis (R1T).

IMG_7666 Medium.jpeg
I’ve been noticing this for a while and just haven’t gotten around to posting, but our Rivian’s seem to be terrible at math. According to my calculator 18,396.8 miles divided by 7,989 kWh = 2.3028 mi/kWh. That’s a pretty big miss (more than 5%) and more than a rounding error. I guess we’re all comparing the same system but sometimes mine shows correct math and sometimes it doesn’t. Seems weird to get such a simple calculation incorrect.
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I’ve been noticing this for a while and just haven’t gotten around to posting, but our Rivian’s seem to be terrible at math. According to my calculator 18,396.8 miles divided by 7,989 kWh = 2.3028 mi/kWh. That’s a pretty big miss (more than 5%) and more than a rounding error. I guess we’re all comparing the same system but sometimes mine shows correct math and sometimes it doesn’t. Seems weird to get such a simple calculation incorrect.
I think the conclusion should be that they are calculating something different than what you assume, NOT that they can't do long division correctly.

In this case, kWh probably refers to the amount of power supplied by the chargers. Some of that goes to loss in the charging system. Some of that goes to battery warming. Some of that goes to you playing Nickleback at volume 25, or running the A/C at full blast, while sitting at a charging station. Etc. If there is 5% loss from all the sources that use some of the charger energy before it goes into the battery, that's not really surprising is it?

DELaunchR1S

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I think the conclusion should be that they are calculating something different than what you assume, NOT that they can't do long division correctly.

In this case, kWh probably refers to the amount of power supplied by the chargers. Some of that goes to loss in the charging system. Some of that goes to battery warming. Some of that goes to you playing Nickleback at volume 25, or running the A/C at full blast, while sitting at a charging station. Etc. If there is 5% loss from all the sources that use some of the charger energy before it goes into the battery, that's not really surprising is it?
Yes, I understand your point. But it’s pretty silly to have a display with an obvious long division equation that doesn’t add up (pardon the pun). I would also point out that there are photos in just this thread where the display has a mistake in the other direction. Mpk is higher than display is showing. Sometimes the math is correct. Display is wrong in both directions so there's just something funny about it and we should all be careful quoting the displayed number. I’m not saying with certainty that I know what’s wrong, just pointing out the uncertainty in what it is even displaying.

ksurfier

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1SQM, Tesla
Clubs

Yes, I understand your point. But it’s pretty silly to have a display with an obvious long division equation that doesn’t add up (pardon the pun). I would also point out that there are photos in just this thread where the display has a mistake in the other direction. Mpk is higher than display is showing. Sometimes the math is correct. Display is wrong in both directions so there's just something funny about it and we should all be careful quoting the displayed number. I’m not saying with certainty that I know what’s wrong, just pointing out the uncertainty in what it is even displaying.
Yes, looks to be all over the place, showing 1.99 but calcs to 2.12.
Mine shows 2.4 but only calcs to 2.2...
I can say with certainty that I DONT know whats wrong...
I'm in a don't mood today...like EV(dont)GO...

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Yes, there are consistency problems all throughout the Rivian UI / Rivian App. There are places they do rounding, and places they don't. There are places they use the actual kWh delivered, and places they use kWh delivered to only the battery. Etc. I'm not defending the sloppiness of their numbers, I'm just saying to be aware that a simple division does not necessarily give you the number you expect. I expect the consistency of these numbers to (continue to) get better as time goes on. I'm just saying don't jump to conclusions because you may not be aware of exactly how these numbers are calculated and you may be assuming the wrong thing.

I do wish there was a way for me to report issues directly to the Rivian software team, as there are many inconsistencies like this which I could point out to them. I can understand exactly what they are reporting in each case, but it's clear that in each case they are reporting something different. THAT is a problem from the customer point of view, even if it is technically correct from the software developer point of view. (I am both, BTW.)

Sponsored

mdpackman

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 F-150, '15 Navigator, '78 Bronco, '02 Explorer
Occupation
Project Manager
Made this video after posting this thread given the number of people interested - Enjoy!

I’ve run 25k miles on my R1T beginning with my Pirelli OEM AT 20”. Those lasted about 17k miles before the noise was unbearable. I’ve tried several tires since then and found the holy grail of looks, comfort, and efficiency:

1. Pierelli OEM AT 275/65/20: good response, traction, and longetivity. Horrible noise and very stiff. Switched out at 17k miles and historical 1.85 M/kw
2. Michelin Defender LTX MS2 in 275/60/20: These reduced the size of my tire to 33”, but it was butter smooth, quiet, and efficiency jumped to around 2.4 M/KW. Looked bland, actually i hated the look. Was going to keep until i put it in sport in a spirited drive. These tires made the rivian dangerous - wobly, lack of traction. I had around 2k miles i changed them.
3. Michelin Defender Platinum 275/65/20: good look, quiet, soft - even for an LT tire. Traction was not great, but steering response was ok. Over 5k miles, it gave me an average of 1.9 M/kw. The reason i changed them out was because vibrations would always come back after 500-800 miles of being balanced.
4. Nitto Recon Grappler AT 116 275/65/20: AWESOME! Soft, quiet (not as quiet as the LTX), awesome look, no vibration. Best of all? I’m averaging 2.4 M/kw in my first 1k miles! I think it will do better once things settle more. The reason i believe so is because my commute is about 30 miles and with these, i’m consuming around 9% whereas my defender LTX was overing around 10%, with the OEM being around 12-13%.

The peson at Discount Tire pushed me towards the Nitto after my fails with the Michelins - i was not going to listen to him, but he said i will not regret. He told me that these weigh like 48lbs, the lightest AT, are 116 so will be soft and quiet vs an LT, and are much more efficient vs the Recon Grappler non AT. I’m so glad i did, so passing along to this forum! Adding pictrures of the three tires so you can see the look.

IMG_1042.jpeg

IMG_1502.jpeg

IMG_0973.jpeg
Thanks for posting this as well as the write up this was very helpful to me. I purchased some Mazama LT275/65R20 through a local reseller (they are made by Sumitomo) and am seeing close to the same numbers as the LTX Platinum's and have been wanting to switch because they are simply too stiff of a tire. This helps tremendously.

CJdergroße

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Management
Just ordered the Nitto Recon Grappler, they're ~8lbs lighter per tire than my OEM Pirelli's. I'm going to try them for a day, if not America's Tire said I could return/exchange them. Going to have them installed tomorrow.

Thanks for the information, I liked the Pirelli's, but the lighter tire got my attention, with keeping 8/10(?) of the capability. I just do camping, light off roading, no MOAB levels. So this tire will still be more than enough, hopefully.

Edit: I cancelled my order through America's Tire, and went with Les Schwab, they dont make you pay for their tire waranty/certificates like AT does, and it was ~$350 cheaper. I'll post pics when I get them next week, before my next road trip.

Last edited:

Runamok

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - Quad - Blue - 21s
Clubs

Swapped stock Pirelli A/S for 33" Recon XLs a week ago. They are a pound lighter than the SL Recon.

Had 10K on the Pirelli. No volt-sipping for me, I do mostly 80+ highway commuting at high speed in AP mode and Standard height. So, I run them.

Will report on effeciency after I get 1K miles or so.
Rivian R1T R1S 20" Nitto Recon Grappler AT tires 25% more efficient than Pirelli OEM AT! The holy grail! 1000006483

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Nitto Recon Grappler AT tires 25% more efficient than Pirelli OEM AT! The holy grail! 1000006486

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Nitto Recon Grappler AT tires 25% more efficient than Pirelli OEM AT! The holy grail! 1000006496

My stock Pirelli A/S stats after 10K miles, pushed hard = 2.06

Rivian R1T R1S 20" Nitto Recon Grappler AT tires 25% more efficient than Pirelli OEM AT! The holy grail! 1000006501

Revin

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T / 2015 BMW 335i
Got my voltaic ready with the recon grapplers! Just waiting to get my R1T back from service so I can mount them 😁😁😁

IMG_0865.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0862.jpeg
Looks awesome! I just ordered a set of the tires for my grey Black Rhino Voltaic wheels. I'll post them up as soon as they are installed!

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just ordered the Nitto Recon Grappler, they're ~8lbs lighter per tire than my OEM Pirelli's. I'm going to try them for a day, if not America's Tire said I could return/exchange them. Going to have them installed tomorrow.

Thanks for the information, I liked the Pirelli's, but the lighter tire got my attention, with keeping 8/10(?) of the capability. I just do camping, light off roading, no MOAB levels. So this tire will still be more than enough, hopefully.

Edit: I cancelled my order through America's Tire, and went with Les Schwab, they dont make you pay for their tire waranty/certificates like AT does, and it was ~$350 cheaper. I'll post pics when I get them next week, before my next road trip.
I don’t see they even carry nitto at my local store. Can you post your receipt, were they special order?

OP
OP

moonjeong

First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Analytics
Swapped stock Pirelli A/S for 33" Recon XLs a week ago. They are a pound lighter than the SL Recon.

Had 10K on the Pirelli. No volt-sipping for me, I do mostly 80+ highway commuting at high speed in AP mode and Standard height. So, I run them.

Will report on effeciency after I get 1K miles or so.
1000006483.jpg

1000006486.jpg

1000006496.jpg

My stock Pirelli A/S stats after 10K miles, pushed hard = 2.06

1000006501.jpg
Wow, I didn't know they made them in 33" Let us know how the efficiency runs on those!

OP
OP

moonjeong

First Name
Moon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Analytics
Got my voltaic ready with the recon grapplers! Just waiting to get my R1T back from service so I can mount them 😁😁😁

IMG_0865.jpeg

IMG_0866.jpeg

IMG_0862.jpeg
What do the wheels weigh? Let us know how the efficiency does!

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
What do the wheels weigh? Let us know how the efficiency does!
I didn’t weigh the rim by itself but the combine weight is 81lbs. I posted a image above with them on the scale