Brakes sticking when coming out of park

Plssimrg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Hi all from the Midwest. It was extremely cold and salty here last week and now has warmed up. I've noticed when my truck sits parked for a while (>1 hour) and then I come out of park and initially get it moving it sounds like the brakes disengage with a loud thud like they're un-sticking.

I seem to remember something similar from my Tesla especially when the brakes got a bit wet then sat in park but curious if anyone else is experiencing this? And if so, any solutions or recommendations? Reasons for concern? Subsequent braking and disengaging at stop lights occur without issue.

I washed the truck the other day to try and clear any debris but it's still happening.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
A thud generally isn’t a good thing. Hopefully there is nothing wrong there.

I had never heard of it until people here on the forum brought it up, but you might try to “bed” or “set” your brakes. Apparently it’s pretty common for EVs to need this once in awhile since most braking is done via regen and the brake pedal isn’t used as much. There are lots of videos out there showing people various ways to do it. I’ve never done it on any vehicle I have ever owned but some here say it helped.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I have had other vehicles do this, but not my Rivian. Usually only if they sit for a day or two. But again...my Rivian has not done this. Your description sounds like pads sticking to rotors. My last Acura with brake hold would do it a bit when first driven after sitting outside for a day or so on a wet day. But only one or two starts and then gone.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Mine does this too. Even when I pull out of my garage. I just always assumed it was the e-brake releasing.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I feel them give loose and a slight noise, but haven’t been too concerned about it. Usually after it has sat in the garage for awhile.

Sponsored

rivian1800

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hi all from the Midwest. It was extremely cold and salty here last week and now has warmed up. I've noticed when my truck sits parked for a while (>1 hour) and then I come out of park and initially get it moving it sounds like the brakes disengage with a loud thud like they're un-sticking.

I seem to remember something similar from my Tesla especially when the brakes got a bit wet then sat in park but curious if anyone else is experiencing this? And if so, any solutions or recommendations? Reasons for concern? Subsequent braking and disengaging at stop lights occur without issue.

I washed the truck the other day to try and clear any debris but it's still happening.
Same thing happened to me but I forgot to take a picture. Maybe next time.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
It's pretty common for brake pads to stick to rotors when they are wet and sit engaged until they dry out. I most often see this after I start driving the next morning after the car is washed and parked in the garage all night. Some surface rust builds up which is quickly cleared by use of the brakes. Besides an initial brake bedding, it's probably wise to use the brakes occasionally.
Sponsored