Sponsored

Seartrip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I like mine, but it really needs a firmware update. Especially to stop the random turning on when the truck is parked.

If this isn't a priority for Rivian, which is understandable, it would be awesome if they could open up the source code for developers to take it forward. I'm sure there's a group of talented people out there that could refine it, and it would look good for Rivian. Not sure if that's open source or another approach, but one can dream.
Sponsored

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Nice, thx for the post. Another example of incredible engineering and packaging, but at least it's not as shocking as the phone charging pad. At least the camp speaker works most of the time, unlike the charging pad.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Honestly forgot my R1T has one, never touched it in the first two months of ownership, but looks like a cool tailgate accessory.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Nice, thx for the post. Another example of incredible engineering and packaging...
"Incredible engineering" is getting to the moon and back in 1969 using a computer with 4K of RAM and 72K of ROM. Manufacturing a BT speaker is not difficult.

Rivian R1T R1S Camp Speaker Curiosity Teardown 🧰 1708973278841

Sponsored

Mtbaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2019 Audi Q7
How can it be so over-engineered and well made, but so quiet? Am I the only one who is surprised by the lack of volume? We have portable Bluetooth speakers 1/4 the size that pump out more sound. I enjoy the speaker and we use it a fair amount, but I wish it went a lot louder.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
"Incredible engineering" is getting to the moon and back in 1969 using a computer with 4K of RAM and 72K of ROM. Manufacturing a BT speaker is not difficult.
Agreed, I was trying to convey a hint of sarcasm... ;)

I do have to give credit to the camp speaker design mechanical design.. Not sure if that's how it was intended, but that handle pocket acts as a perfect phone holder/stand while it's in use.

Mousetrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

How can it be so over-engineered and well made, but so quiet? Am I the only one who is surprised by the lack of volume? We have portable Bluetooth speakers 1/4 the size that pump out more sound. I enjoy the speaker and we use it a fair amount, but I wish it went a lot louder.

Interestingly, they were going to warranty-replace mine for different issues. I tried the new one - it was MUCH quicker to power on, connect to my phone, more responsive... All around better, but at max volume it was half as loud or less, so I kept the first one I had. I found it better to be able to get pretty loud and slower to respond than responsive and quiet.

If yours isn't able to pump out the power, it might be worth submitting a ticket.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Interestingly, they were going to warranty-replace mine for different issues. I tried the new one - it was MUCH quicker to power on, connect to my phone, more responsive... All around better, but at max volume it was half as loud or less, so I kept the first one I had. I found it better to be able to get pretty loud and slower to respond than responsive and quiet.

If yours isn't able to pump out the power, it might be worth submitting a ticket.
I am curious to see what the difference is between the old and new. I have one of the early ones and it gets pretty loud. I don't have any response/connect issues.

Also I didn't realize they had different colors of them. Mine is very dark. I guess it makes sense if the interiors are different.

Mousetrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I am curious to see what the difference is between the old and new. I have one of the early ones and it gets pretty loud. I don't have any response/connect issues.

Also I didn't realize they had different colors of them. Mine is very dark. I guess it makes sense if the interiors are different.
Does yours still show the speaker charge % on the screen in the car? Mine used to but stopped sometime in the past few months. Now it says "Connecting" with a circle that doesn't spin (but looks like it should 🤷‍♂️) and then that just goes away. It doesn't show any speaker battery % anymore.

Sponsored

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does yours still show the speaker charge % on the screen in the car? Mine used to but stopped sometime in the past few months. Now it says "Connecting" with a circle that doesn't spin (but looks like it should 🤷‍♂️) and then that just goes away. It doesn't show any speaker battery % anymore.
I haven't looked in a while. I will need to check it out and get back to you

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looks like they removed it from the truck's display. Now it just says accessory dock with not info. It also isn't accessible in the camping menu anymore.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This explains why I have spent more time trying to get mine to connect to my phone than actually listening to it. It's a shame mine is virtually unusable considering the build quality.

Jdcorbitt3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad motor CR 2021 Tesla Model Y Perf
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

I just did a phase and channel test. Left audio comes out from the left side of the speaker. Right audio comes out of the right side. The front is left + Right. Even though this is one speaker, you can get stereo imaging by placing the speaker at a 45° in a corner and letting the side speakers reflect off the walls. It kind of reminds me of the Bose 901s

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

So much complaining about a cool little add-on, you truly can’t make everyone happy. I’ve used it many times at the lake and beach when I didn’t think to throw in a speaker. I like it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think most people are talking about the speaker being overkill for what it is.

Look at what Toyota did with the 2024 Taco. They just included what appears to be a dash dock able off the shelf Yamaha JBL Flex BT speaker. I guess Rivian could have done something similar and save/redirect those resources into making something else.

I don't know, I am just playing chair CEO for a bit but it does seem like R1T/R1S speaker was indeed built like a tank.
Sponsored