Sponsored

Can we stop asking for CarPlay now? "The next generation of Apple CarPlay will take over all of the screens, sensors and gauges in a car..."

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I'm not making any claims about being anticompetitive. I'm simply pointing out what Apple is doing to their customers. I'm also not saying that Apple lost business. They all still have their iPhones and I still have my Android. But since they have issues receiving messages, then we all agreed to switch to a 3rd party app to communicate via text messaging. Nobody lost business.
That was my point originally, I guess it wasn't clear. You were saying you wouldn't buy an Apple device because of how the SMS was handled with your team. So Apple lost you as a potential customer, this is a counterpoint to it being an anticompetitive practice which is what the case is about.
Sponsored

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
That's essentially what's going to happen with Sirius/Rivian integration. In order to use the built-in app I would have to pay for another VIN-based account specific to the Rivian instead of being able to use the Sirius streaming account I already pay for. AA lets me do this for no additional cost.

I don't blame the automakers for trying to make more money, but I don't like it when they do it under the guise of 'safety' and 'protecting us from the google/apple hegemony.'
Yeah, it sucks all around. Tesla used to give connectivity for free. Now they have premium connectivity for $10 a month, but they did give drivers the option of using their own wireless plan. At the same time they’ve software locked range and speed in the past, and now they’re considering turning heated/cooled seats into a paid unlockable feature. It reminds me of the video game industry and DLC.

This is the wrong way to go in my opinion. Give drivers something more to pay for than what’s already standard on other vehicles. Unless they want to make a truly stripped down cheap EV where you supply the devices and connectivity. I’m down with that. EVs don’t need to be as expensive as they are.

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

But anyone can still use WhatsApp or other on an iPhone so the consumer still has choice so how does that keep them dominate? RCS vs Apple iMessage is just a format choice, government shouldn't dictate those choices.
They're not limiting the choice. They're literally attempting to open up the choices.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

They're not limiting the choice. They're literally attempting to open up the choices.
No you want to force Apple to use RCS encryption. Maybe I prefer Apple encryption to open source?

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

In light of layoffs and a money crunch, CayPlay 2.0 might be the quickest way to a semi-functional car UI at the announcement for a vehicle that won’t ship for two more years.
Pretty sure they'll just put MOST of their resources in getting the current UI adopted to R2 instead of giving us the features we crave. You know, the features that Carplay has...

Rivian, if you're reading, we don't want Carplay, we just want all the features that would have came with it. If you want to cheap out and totally understandable if resources are thin, then just embed carplay somewhere as an optional thing.

Sponsored

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

No you want to force Apple to use RCS encryption. Maybe I prefer Apple encryption to open source?
I don't have a horse in the race so I didn't want to force anything. But, I am an entrepreneur and I understand the impact of open competition. Monopolies aren't good for innovation. This is why there are laws against it. As I've previously stated, Apple wouldn't exist if Microsoft wasn't forced to "invest" in Apple because Windows was 95% dominant in the marketplace.

This is American law so it's okay to disagree with my position.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I don't have a horse in the race so I didn't want to force anything. But, I am an entrepreneur and I understand the impact of open competition. Monopolies aren't good for innovation. This is why there are laws against it. As I've previously stated, Apple wouldn't exist if Microsoft wasn't forced to "invest" in Apple because Windows was 95% dominant in the marketplace.

This is American law so it's okay to disagree with my position.
No-one here that I have seen here is arguing against anti monopolistic behavior so lets keep the debate to the facts in this case

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Rivian already has Alexa in there. They don’t want Siri and the Googs comin’ in and messin’ things up. Daddy Bezos might get mad and launch another penis-shaped rocket into space. 🚀

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Rivian already has Alexa in there. They don’t want Siri and the Googs comin’ in and messin’ things up. Daddy Bezos might get mad and launch another penis-shaped rocket into space. 🚀
Well dang, then I guess Rivian is being anticompetitive. For all those folks that want Apple Carplay or AA in our Rivians I guess we should hope Apple loses 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
They can happily live together. Uconnect 5 has built-in Alexa and CP/AA.

Newtonrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne Plugin Hybrid
Apple gains control and money.
Rivian loses control and money.
Just say no.
Or, to some, Apple's UI is more important than a Rivian UI
Or, Rivian has sold you as user data to Alexa and to Spotify
Or, do people have a choice to use their phone & apps in the car they choose to purchase?
Or are they required to replace their playlists, maps, apps and choices with new non-choices made for them by their car manufacturer without any compensation by that manufacturer?

People here are passionate about RIvian. There are some 100k users in that market. I'm one of them. Based on data seen here, about 58% of the US market is Apple phone users. I'd suggest that 58% of the current Rivian market are also Apple iPhone users. But support by Rivian to use their chosen handset other than as a BT phone connection. Seems obvious that there is bias but not from Apple, from the car manufacturer, Rivian.

-RJ
It's an ecosystem issue the same way the railroads, windows or any other monopoly works. Apple is intentionally keeping someone with an Apple watch to purchase an iPhone. Therefore, once you're in that ecosystem, choice goes down, prices go up and innovation is stifled. The best product doesn't win anymore and the one player dictates what's best for everyone. A free market system will come to a halt in this scenario.
Don't forget that Google didn't want Apple Watch to connect well with Android phones.

https://www.indiatoday.in/technolog...ect-apple-watch-to-android-2517972-2024-03-22

-RJ

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Or, to some, Apple's UI is more important than a Rivian UI
Or, Rivian has sold you as user data to Alexa and to Spotify
Or, do people have a choice to use their phone & apps in the car they choose to purchase?
Or are they required to replace their playlists, maps, apps and choices with new non-choices made for them by their car manufacturer without any compensation by that manufacturer?

People here are passionate about RIvian. There are some 100k users in that market. I'm one of them. Based on data seen here, about 58% of the US market is Apple phone users. I'd suggest that 58% of the current Rivian market are also Apple iPhone users. But support by Rivian to use their chosen handset other than as a BT phone connection. Seems obvious that there is bias but not from Apple, from the car manufacturer, Rivian.

-RJ

Don't forget that Google didn't want Apple Watch to connect well with Android phones.

https://www.indiatoday.in/technolog...ect-apple-watch-to-android-2517972-2024-03-22

-RJ
100%. Monopolies fighting each other. Don't forget Amazon...

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Well dang, then I guess Rivian is being anticompetitive. For all those folks that want Apple Carplay or AA in our Rivians I guess we should hope Apple loses 🤷‍♂️
😅 I was just joking. I think people should have a choice.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

😅 I was just joking. I think people should have a choice.
I really was just making a point to those that think that Apple is anti-competitive for having a closed software ecosystem but wants Rivian or Tesla to maintain theirs.
Sponsored