Clunking sound from front end.

GCool

First Name
GC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'll be going in a third time to see if they can fix it - but I'm hoping the refresh has new parts/design.
Sponsored

Frisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My first R1T was a launch edition QM. Same problems. Multiple futile attempts to repair including the “washers” fix, subframe replacement, front drive unit replacement. Apparently my driving back and forth to the store on paved roads to get groceries was too stressful for it. Finally just parked it in the garage and spent months demanding Rivian take it back. They finally did and I now have a replacement DM R1T. While my new R1T only has 1500 miles on it, and only time will tell its ultimate reliability, it is like night and day in comparison to the first vehicle. It is a less complex vehicle (no rock crawling nor rally functions) and only two motors with more traditional differential like drivelines. I am hopeful Rivian has solved its design problems. I truly think Rivian made a mistake in trying to design a vehicle which could be all things to all people.

GCool

First Name
GC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Wow. I've been trying to get them to take the S back for months. I had a launch R1T, along with two friends, and all of our vehicles were just fine. I'll stay on them as I might be forced to switch to the dual motor. But I think the fact that you already have 1500 miles and no issues is a GREAT sign. I miss my truck but love the tighter turning radius of the S for in town driving. Calling them again today.

TTedP

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 R1T DM, Large
Occupation
Telecom
I also have had this since day one on my R1S - any bumps, large or small make things rattle irritatingly and I can't easily track down the source of those - but the "clunk" you can feel is the more concerning one. it's... every bump. You hear it and feel it and no other vehicle I have ever owned has made a sound like that or felt like this does. It just feels like the suspension is "loose" somewhere and is going to wear out and break. but as others have said - I had it into service a while back and they said "all is normal" - so yeah, just need to wait for a wheel to fall off I guess.
Like riding a bike as a kid with a loose headset. What they call "normal" feels so regressive. Not even a jeep does this.

GCool

First Name
GC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah. That's exactly right. We rented a 4 door Wrangler in Hawaii last week - very touristy - but wanted to see the difference. Overall ride quality of the Jeep was bouncy BUUUUUT not a single sound when going over bumps or speed humps. Silent. Also - took my S back in and did a test drive with the senior tech. Super nice guy and he said unfortunately the S makes those clunk noises but it's part of the design... I told him my T did not make those sounds and he said I was not the first person to mention this as the T is slightly different in design and therefore only has the chirping. I would assume the refresh will fix these issues. Love everything else about the car. And hope they get this issue resolved.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HaveBlue

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Seems like clunking is less with the revised suspension settings on 2024.11 but I have to test more. 🤷‍♂️

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Car Enthusiast
Seems like clunking is less with the revised suspension settings on 2024.11 but I have to test more. 🤷‍♂️
Which revised suspension settings? I must have missed this.

OP
OP
HaveBlue

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Which revised suspension settings? I must have missed this.
Under Additional Improvements
  • Improved ride height adjustments to reduce the number of occasions that require the vehicle to raise before a drive.
My truck went absolutely nuts immediately after the update on suspension adjustments all by itself for the next few miles. I thought I was going to have to put in a request because it was so much worse and I already had everything set to off. Then it settled down and now more quiet as well. I need to go find some bigger speed control bumps and give it a work out but the clunking seems less as a side effect of the ride height changes.

TTedP

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 R1T DM, Large
Occupation
Telecom
Super nice guy and he said unfortunately the S makes those clunk noises but it's part of the design... I told him my T did not make those sounds and he said I was not the first person to mention this as the T is slightly different in design and therefore only has the chirping.
I have a DM T and it clunks. The QM I demo'd was a T and it was worse, really loose feeling.

Seems like clunking is less with the revised suspension settings on 2024.11 but I have to test more.
I didn't notice a change after SW update but I followed some advice in other posts and do find that on firm, it's less chattery. (I was driving around in soft).

GCool

First Name
GC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My two friends both have T's and no clunking... so might be hit or miss on the vehicle. I've even tried Rally mode and still clunking/rattling. Oh well. Maybe the R2 will be smooth?

Sponsored

OP
OP
HaveBlue

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

My two friends both have T's and no clunking... so might be hit or miss on the vehicle. I've even tried Rally mode and still clunking/rattling. Oh well. Maybe the R2 will be smooth?
It will have a conventional coil over suspension. No adjustable dampers or ride height.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have clunking. I had it when I got my truck. They replaced the front and rear subframes. It seemed like it was better for a while, but it came back. I think it's in the design and the lack of ICE engine noise to cover it up really makes it obvious.

I don't have hopes for it ever being fixed on the gen 1 trucks.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Car Enthusiast
It will have a conventional coil over suspension. No adjustable dampers or ride height.
I like the flexibility of height adjustments on my R1S so, no thanks. 😑

pippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
My T has the sound from front lip curtains. It is noticeable in the cold weather with AC off, the curtains hit each other when when it is on a speed bump. And I have to to turn on the AC to force the curtains in open stage and the sound is gone.

amos0077

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
system architect
Clubs

Anyone still having this clunking issue? Anything anyone or collectively can do to compel Rivian into fixing this? The noise is driving me crazy.
Sponsored