Sponsored

Conserve Mode: $125 a month tire cost!

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Why is there no tire prorated warranty, for x miles? All vehicles I have had have a tire warranty similar to when you buy once needed. I’ve had plenty of front wheel drive vehicles and never had this issue. Is this an EV issue that the tire mfg doesn’t provide a warranty? What if you buy 3dr party tires do they change miles warranty for EV’s?
Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I am not convinced conserve mode caused excessive tire wear. Or that you even experienced excessive tire wear.

Tires on my Tesla last 20K-25K miles, and from what I read that is not particularly atypical. Heavy EV with gobs of torque just eat tires like candy. Assuming your rear tires still looked nearly new, you are are going to end up pretty much exactly the same needing to purchase 4 tires every 20K miles.

Conserve mode didn't increase the total amount of wear, it just focused it all on 2 wheels. I don't think you are discovering downside to conserve mode. You are just discovering a downside to owning a heavy vehicle with a mountain of torque.
If your not roasting the tires why does torque matter? I can understand the weight issue.

Ddowns2050

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Tesla model S, C8 convertible corvette
Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have the 21''s and have almost 20k miles on the R1T and have 6/32 pretty even on all 4 tires. I have used conserve mode on a couple of trips that were about 230 miles one way. Otherwise I'm in all purpose 98% of the time. I rotated once at about 8k miles. I don't rabbit start much but don't drive like grandma either. I just stay smooth. I have owned teslas since 2013 so I have been used to the torque for some time.

I think a lot of people are addicted to the instant torque and that contributes to tire wear.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
wow - interesting info! - unfortunately just 2 weeks after putting a couple of new tires in front I got a puncture in the back - I spent $1500 on tires in 2 weeks as well as 2 trips to SC
Ouch. That reminds me of owning a BMW i3. BMW really went off into another dimension with those narrow, tall tires with small contact patches, all in the name of efficiency. Man, did they attract nails. Traction wasn’t great, either.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

This post is comical. You're driving a vehicle in FWD mode that still has over 400 hp and over 450 lbs-ft of torque. In conserve mode it's still capable of doing 0-60 mph in ~7 seconds. Contrast that with my electric MINI and you'll find a 3150 lbs FWD vehicle with 199 lbs-ft of torque and around 6.5s 0-60. I drive the piss out of it and got about 10k miles on a set of tires with the fronts down to the wear bars and the rears at maybe 4-5/32nds. That said, they were also uniformly worn across the tread. As @Dark-Fx put it, a powerful FWD vehicle will absolutely destroy tires unless you drive Miss Daisy everywhere. As someone else pointed out, if you also drive at lower ride heights then the alignment will change as well and is likely non-optimal for tire wear.

Sponsored

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
interesting... I have never used conserve mode charge to 85% normally and that gets me pretty much anywhere I need to go. If it is a long trip I charge to 100% and compensate for my stops. This is my first EV and I thought I would have more Range anxiety but I don't and my average drive is about a 75 mile round trip. When Rivian starts charging for drive modes that is probably one I will choose not to pay for.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I assume you didn't rotate the tires. Pirelli recommends rotating the tires every 5000-7000 miles.
Rivian recommends 4 tire to keep the spare in good condition. Anyone do it this way?

two front move straight back, the rears go forward to the opposite side.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I didn't see it mentioned.

I believe conserve disconnects the rear motors. This means that regen braking is handled by the front 2 tires. So not only do you put a lot of stress on the tires with launching the vehicle, but also when you go to stop.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
This is a trend I have seen with Rivian, Tesla and others, where the very unappealing features of electric cars are minimized by sacrificing design parameters which normally increase longevity or satisfy some other everyday expectation.

Examples: Suspensions which can’t handle very heavy cars (Model Y). Pancake or egg like designs (Model S, X, Y, 3). “Optimized” tires which feature low rolling resistance (and also low resistance to punctures). Gaming the EPA by fiddling with range multipliers, blending city mode driving into their “max range” advertised numbers, ignoring extremes of temperature, or by adding a “tire eating mode.” Leaving out a heat pump to preserve margins eaten by the battery, at the expense of cold weather range. Designing a custom wheel size to increase advertised range, but that no manufacturer will create a winter tire for.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Rivian designed a tire with a very small contact patch for greater range—leading to enhanced wear (and decreased traction, especially in snow and ice). Rivian recommended tire pressures are higher than a near-equivalent Range Rover, for example. Extra torque is then smashed though that tinier contact patch in order to make a 7,000 pound vehicle not feel like it contains a 1,750 pound dead-weight battery that it’s ICE competitors don’t have. This is made worse by conserve mode, a mode which exists to help with the range anxiety that comes with EVs.

Enhanced tire wear and puncturing is the most egregious example of EVs “pushing the envelope”, but an EV stresses every system more than an ICE would, in a myriad of tiny ways. Well, except for the exhaust system. For that I am very thankful.
I think this is a case where Rivian has actually done an acceptable job of informing buyers it's just that some are not understanding the information that is readily made available by Rivian. They sell three Rivian EV specific tires and highlight the pro's of each one, conversely con's are implied. If you buy a Mercedes GLA 45 AMG package (the R1's are much faster) it too is going to eat expensive tires. That is up to the buyer to understand.
I also don't think Rivian attempted to game the system with the range estimates. When a max range is given it's just that, the maximum your going to get not the average your going to get in winter. Before customer deliveries started Rivian had stated range up to 314 miles with the 21" wheels and to expect up to 15% reduction for the 20" AT wheels. I get that in freezing temperatures without using conserve mode, in summer I can exceed it so if anything they have sand bagged a bit.
The main issue is that most people don't understand the limitations of EPA range estimates. They suck, have little bearing on reality, and aren't even that good as a comparison tool. But this is a fault of the EPA standard not the manufacturers. I believe they are required by law to advertise garbage EPA numbers. Aim pitchforks towards EPA.

Bmitch24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Why is there no tire prorated warranty, for x miles? All vehicles I have had have a tire warranty similar to when you buy once needed. I’ve had plenty of front wheel drive vehicles and never had this issue. Is this an EV issue that the tire mfg doesn’t provide a warranty? What if you buy 3dr party tires do they change miles warranty for EV’s?
There is a prorated warranty on the tires. Pirelli just won't warranty the first set from the manufacturer. All other sets you get will have a tread wear warranty. Tire cost due to excessive wear is not a real thing right now. Just expect to pony up for the first replacement set and replace frequently under warranty.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I've always considered Conserve Mode as equivalent to "overdrive" on my ICE auto-transmission. I've only used it in conjunction with cruise control on the highways - never thought about using it in heavy accelerating or braking conditions. YMMV.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Road conditions are a big consideration as well. Snow, ice, heavy rain, off-roading, etc. All those drives modes can be useful.

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
I didn't see it mentioned.

I believe conserve disconnects the rear motors. This means that regen braking is handled by the front 2 tires. So not only do you put a lot of stress on the tires with launching the vehicle, but also when you go to stop.
Yeah with Conserve the Rivian becomes a front wheel drive vehicle.
Wonder if Rivian uses the rear wheels for regen breaking in Conserve or are they completely disconnected.

Kacey3

First Name
Kacey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition; MotoGuzzi V7II
Occupation
IT Support Manager
Clubs

Yeah with Conserve the Rivian becomes a front wheel drive vehicle.
Wonder if Rivian uses the rear wheels for regen breaking in Conserve or are they completely disconnected.
The way I understand the technology, the rear wheels are completely disconnected via an axle disconnect and are free-wheeling only, and neither contribute to drive nor regain when in Conserve mode.

Nilator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE (LAS/BM/20)
Fwiw, I just got a nail puncture repaired last week at 11.5k miles. OEM 20” ATs, rotated once, by Rivian SC. Suburban warrior, no offroad, about 50/50 Conserve vs AP.

The Rep at Discount Tire immediately offered me a warranty on the OEM Pirelli 20 ATs because they looked “so new“ after 11.5k...
🤷‍♂️
Sponsored