First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
I got 215 a couple of days ago but it went down to 165 by the end of 5 minutes. I think that this is the optimal charging curve right now.

Rivian R1T R1S First Tesla Supercharger with "Magic Dock" CCS adapter successfully charged a R1T. This is fantastic! 3AC3C830-F275-4B9A-9294-95EEAB11CCDC

Rivian R1T R1S First Tesla Supercharger with "Magic Dock" CCS adapter successfully charged a R1T. This is fantastic! B62D3216-5CF8-4A89-B916-59477CD4BE34
Sponsored

HA-Opec

First Name
Wyatt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Wow, This thread is full of poorly aging NACS comments. Hopefully Rivian comes around.... they certainly should as they don't have the capital to build thier own network. They can still put chargers with thier brand at cool remote adventure areas, just as planned.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Wonder if this all means Tesla stops their efforts on MagicDock conversions. That would be classic Tesla looking at future state and leaving current people behind.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Wonder if this all means Tesla stops their efforts on MagicDock conversions. That would be classic Tesla looking at future state and leaving current people behind.
Let’s say they switch over. Wonder what Harvey plan to do for those who have CCS legacy trucks….

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Wow, This thread is full of poorly aging NACS comments. Hopefully Rivian comes around.... they certainly should as they don't have the capital to build thier own network. They can still put chargers with thier brand at cool remote adventure areas, just as planned.

Something tells me that they were hoping the RAN would be a good a revenue stream, albeit one that will only be profitable far in the future.

To your point, this could save them a lot of time and money. If we can access Tesla chargers, no need for Rivian to have a large rollout. Instead, they could target those unique areas under served by Tesla.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
How are people still suggesting that vehicles should install Tesla connectors at this point? CCS is the standard, period. In 5 years, I will be shocked if Tesla itself isn’t putting CCS on all their vehicles.

Also, it’s the Tesla charging connector. That acronym y’all keep using is absurd and doesn’t exist in the real world. Not a single one of those chargers exists. Period. Stop drinking kool-aid and being someone’s stooge by given legitimacy to a fictional “standard”.
This comment didn't age well.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Tesla plug fans now acting like they knew this would happen all along.

zer0t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan 4S, 23 Model S Plaid, 20 Model Y P
Occupation
Retired
Personally I'm shocked that Tesla did the magic dock and further surprised that Ford, perhaps others, will adopt the Tesla NACS format. I think it's savvy as there is no comparison in the experience. I have 2 Tesla's and 2 non-Tesla EVs and the location, quantity and availability of Tesla chargers is just superior.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Personally I'm shocked that Tesla did the magic dock and further surprised that Ford, perhaps others, will adopt the Tesla NACS format. I think it's savvy as there is no comparison in the experience. I have 2 Tesla's and 2 non-Tesla EVs and the location, quantity and availability of Tesla chargers is just superior.
Agreed, but i'm hoping charging speeds on the Tesla chargers are better than what we see with the MagicDock implementation. So far my experience has been that they're slow.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

To your point, this could save them a lot of time and money. If we can access Tesla chargers, no need for Rivian to have a large rollout. Instead, they could target those unique areas under served by Tesla.
You mean like the ones Rivian labeled as upcoming and Tesla actually built at?

See: St Regis, MT (construction almost complete)
Kalispell, MT (Tesla winner for voting, estimated complete 23Q4)
West Glacier, MT (competitor in current voting)

Sponsored

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
You mean like the ones Rivian labeled as upcoming and Tesla actually built at?

See: St Regis, MT (construction almost complete)
Kalispell, MT (Tesla winner for voting, estimated complete 23Q4)
West Glacier, MT (competitor in current voting)
There are plenty of opportunities. Focus on the national parks or other "adventure" POIs like Crater Lake, Mt Rainier National Park, Big Bend, etc.

The issue is that these chargers aren't going to get much use most of the year, so is it worth it? Could be a brand play.

I just wonder looking at the cash on hand, burn rate, sales, etc. if investing in charging stations is the correct strategy. I suppose if they are getting most of it paid for by government subsidies, then absolutely.

Then again, there are current owners which are reporting months-long waits to get their vehicle serviced and there really aren't that many on the road right now. That is a larger issue imo.

CJdergroĂźe

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Management
Its not like they couldn't convert the RAN network to NACS in the future.

I'd imagine its easier to convert stations from CCS -> NACS.

Downside of all this NACS talk is that that "standard" does not bidirectional charge. Which makes me curious how Ford will convert their vehicles, but was selling the idea of the truck using a level 3 CCS connector to power your home, from your truck.

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Its not like they couldn't convert the RAN network to NACS in the future.

I'd imagine its easier to convert stations from CCS -> NACS.

Downside of all this NACS talk is that that "standard" does not bidirectional charge. Which makes me curious how Ford will convert their vehicles, but was selling the idea of the truck using a level 3 CCS connector to power your home, from your truck.
Classic Tesla has said they cant do power out of their vehicles as it would be unsafe, then others like Ford did it.

They did the same with powered Frunk. Said it wasnt legal etc. Then many, including Rivian, did it.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

There are plenty of opportunities. Focus on the national parks or other "adventure" POIs like Crater Lake, Mt Rainier National Park, Big Bend, etc.
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how these places operate and where chargers actually go.

The NPS and DOI or Forest Service under USDA do not pay for, site, contract, or build any charging stations. There are corporations who win contracts to manage places as the authorized concessioner and create LLCs like "National Park Lodge" . See: Xanterra

There is already so much demand for their facilities, they have no need to drum up more business or revenue through a fast charging contract. If anything, they've worked with NPS to support limited access, like entry permits, to make everything more manageable.

Getting TO these locations is another story. The places en route or outside are always looking for business and revenue stream, those are the best targets to work with.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how these places operate and where chargers actually go.

The NPS and DOI or Forest Service under USDA do not pay for, site, contract, or build any charging stations. There are corporations who win contracts to manage places as the authorized concessioner and create LLCs like "National Park Lodge" . See: Xanterra

There is already so much demand for their facilities, they have no need to drum up more business or revenue through a fast charging contract. If anything, they've worked with NPS to support limited access, like entry permits, to make everything more manageable.

Getting TO these locations is another story. The places en route or outside are always looking for business and revenue stream, those are the best targets to work with.
I think you might have misread my post. :)
Sponsored