Sponsored

Front wheels creaking badly lock to lock

nelw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
This just recently started happening. From lock to lock it's started making this creaking sound from both sides. Anyone else? Gonna make a service appt.

Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Maybe a silly comment. But I assume you're in Park?

With the brake rotors locked/clamped, there's definitely going to be some creaking. Every car I've owned does this to some degree. My Rivian sounds pretty much the same if you're standing right next to it, while in Park, and you're turning the wheel lock to lock.

A similar sound happens if you're in park and you change the suspension height. It doesn't happen when you're not parked.

Last edited:

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Maybe a silly comment. But I assume you're in Park?

With the brake rotors locked/clamped, there's definitely going to be some creaking. Every car I've owned does this to some degree. My Rivian sounds pretty much the same if you're standing right next to it, while in Park, and you're turning the wheel lock to lock.

A similar sound happens if you're in park and you change the suspension height. It doesn't happen when you're not parked.
yup, i was suspecting the same thing.

on a flat surface, leave the car in neutral and try turning lock to lock. most likely the creaking will go away. if it doesnt then it may be some issue there.

OP
OP
nelw

nelw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
No, in Drive. In park, the steering wheel doesn't have power steering.

But I see what you guys are trying to get at. Even in Drive, the brakes are holding the tires when not moving, yes. But I've had this since last July and only now has this creaking started to happen especially when doing tight turns.

EDIT; Also you can tell it's in Drive cuz the pedestrian noise is going off.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

No, in Drive. In park, the steering wheel doesn't have power steering.

But I see what you guys are trying to get at. Even in Drive, the brakes are holding the tires when not moving, yes. But I've had this since last July and only now has this creaking started to happen especially when doing tight turns.

EDIT; Also you can tell it's in Drive cuz the pedestrian noise is going off.
Have you done any hard braking recently (as recommended to periodically do by Rivian to remove surface rust). Could be enough buildup or bad pads.

Sponsored

Erikbecker

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical engineer
Look at the steering system and its parts. Also, check the tie rod ends and ball joints for any wear or looseness.
Another thing to check is the CV joints. If they're worn or damaged, they can make creaking sounds, especially when you're turning sharply.
And consider the possibility of a worn-out wheel bearing. Bad wheel bearings can cause different noises

OP
OP
nelw

nelw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Front half shafts were leaking and both replaced. They did this, inspection and a couple other small things within 3 hours of me dropping off the car. Very awesome service experience!
Sponsored