Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS-1
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Can Rivian owners charge their vehicles at the various hotels that have Tesla chargers?
Sponsored

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
I'm charging right now at a hotel on a Tesla destination charger using a Tesla Tap Mini adapter. I also have a small padlock that keeps the adapter from being stolen by locking the release lever.

JKDU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Professor
Some yes but you need an adapter obviously
It will vary by location. For example, we were just in Moab, UT and there are 8 Tesla superchargers with magic dock where you don't need the adapter (since the chargers have them) at the Hyatt hotel. I would recommend going to the tesla website and looking at their charging locations to find those with magic dock. If you have one the NACS adapters, then I believe you should be able to use any of the Tesla chargers. I"m still waiting for mine so haven't looked too much into them.

As a side note, I just did a long road trip from Denver to SoCal and mostly used Rivian chargers and Electrify America chargers and worked out well. There were only locations were I had issues with 3 out of 4 chargers down. Using ABRP or Rivian nav to get rating scores was a big help.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Hardware is no different from the Tesla Wall Connector people buy for their homes. They could be software configured to be Tesla only. Ask hotel operator (beware most don’t have a clue). If the charger has NACS plug, Tesla makes both versions, you need a NACS to J1772 adapter. Get a reputable one, not cheap random junk off of Amazon or fleabay. Not all of them are free. Either case, you need to initiate charge with Tesla app. Otherwise, you’ll just see “waiting for charger” indefinitely in the car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T PDM, '97 Miata
Occupation
IT
There is a little confusion in this thread as OP mention hotel chargers which are L2 using Tesla high power wall connectors (HPWCs) and then some replies refer to superchargers. A few important points about charging at hotels:

- You won't need the Tesla app to use a Tesla HPWC at a hotel, only superchargers.
- You will likely need a NACS>>J1772 adapter to use them. Tesla makes HPWCs with J1772 connectors, and some with integrated adapters but they are not nearly as popular. These are much less expensive than the NACS >> CCS adapters.
- As was mentioned, check with the hotel to see if the Tesla station is restricted to Tesla vehicles only. I think this is generally also rare, but it would be pretty lousy to depend on being able to charge at your destination only to find that you can't.

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I am doing it right now for one week with no extra cost. I’ve paid for my adapter by staying 7 days at a hotel with free EV charging.

it’s has a built in lock so I don’t have to worry about anyone disconnecting my charging session or having to deal with carrying around a pad lock.

Here is my experience charging at 2 hotels using the Tesla destination chargers and A2Z Stellar Tesla to J-1772 adapter.

The A2Z Stellar adapter is back in stock and you can use the forum discount code “RIV” to save $$$ and get free shipping too.

Tesla To J1772 adapter (Tesla Destination Charger for Hotels / Shopping centers) | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

A2Z Stellar Adapter Tesla to J-1772 for Destination and Home charging. This adapter literally pays for itself

Rivian R1T R1S Hotel Charging Stations IMG_3751
Rivian R1T R1S Hotel Charging Stations IMG_3750
Rivian R1T R1S Hotel Charging Stations IMG_3749

Rivian R1T R1S Hotel Charging Stations IMG_4171

Rivian R1T R1S Hotel Charging Stations IMG_4174

Rivian R1T R1S Hotel Charging Stations IMG_4164

Rivian R1T R1S Hotel Charging Stations IMG_3786

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 BMW iX50 / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Here is my experience charging at 2 hotels using the Tesla destination chargers and A2Z Stellar Tesla to J-1772 adapter.
I have an A2Z adapter too (though not using it with a Rivian), it's pretty stellar, super solid construction, nice carrying case - and as can be seen in your photos, it has an integrated lock.

I was originally going to get a Tesla Tap, saw the A2Z adapter mentioned on some EV forum, company seemed solid, excellent reviews and I want to say it was about 50% cheaper.

Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I picked up the AC adapter on Amazon for $50, works great. The Tesla tap is stupidly high priced.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
PlugShare
Yeah, PlugShare is pretty indispensable when you own an EV (well, BEV).

Not only can you ID charging locations (currently across 34 different networks), but it has a function where people rate chargers, take photos, offer suggestions about how to access chargers (which is how I found out about a couple of "secret" options).

It's pretty much fully functional in the free mode (Web, iOS and Android), but I actually pay the couple of bucks a month to remove ads and support it. :)

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck DM, F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
- As was mentioned, check with the hotel to see if the Tesla station is restricted to Tesla vehicles only. I think this is generally also rare, but it would be pretty lousy to depend on being able to charge at your destination only to find that you can't.
I've never heard of a Tesla Wall Connector that wouldn't charge a CCS vehicle, especially not at a hotel where the chargers are for customers convenience. Nobody cares what kind of EV you drive.

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I've never heard of a Tesla Wall Connector that wouldn't charge a CCS vehicle, especially not at a hotel where the chargers are for customers convenience. Nobody cares what kind of EV you drive.
The Gen 3s (as you may know) have an access control setting, and some people have reported it defaulting back to "Only Tesla" after an update. I could see a hotel not paying attention, leaving it in that mode or simply configuring a Tesla branded product to work with Tesla cars , not considering a non-Tesla vehicle using it with an adapter (and the TWC needing to be set to "All Vehicles" for it to work in that scenario).

I mean, we were just down at Cheeca Lodge, and the valet said, "Oh, yeah, they're Tesla chargers, but they work with all EVs ...", so I assumed I'd use our A2Z adapter, but they were actually ChargePoint stations with J1772 connectors :D i.e., I wouldn't be shocked at the wrong TWC configuration done by hotel staff.

smunro622

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium
My A2Z adapter has paid
I am doing it right now for one week with no extra cost. I’ve paid for my adapter by staying 7 days at a hotel with free EV charging.

it’s has a built in lock so I don’t have to worry about anyone disconnecting my charging session or having to deal with carrying around a pad lock.

The A2Z Stellar adapter is back in stock and you can use the forum discount code “RIV” to save $$$ and get free shipping too.

Tesla To J1772 adapter (Tesla Destination Charger for Hotels / Shopping centers) | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

A2Z Stellar Adapter Tesla to J-1772 for Destination and Home charging. This adapter literally pays for itself

IMG_3751.jpeg
IMG_3750.jpeg
IMG_3749.jpeg

IMG_4171.png

IMG_4174.png

IMG_4164.png

IMG_3786.png
agreed mine has paid for its self many times over… free charging over night and the they lock… its not the fastest and super awesome for the winter night plug in… well worth the cost in my opinion..
Sponsored

Last edited: