Sponsored

Is the ‘low speed tock’ still a thing?

Have you had to deal with the ‘low speed tock’ issue?

• Total voters

krtrice

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I had an appointment last week at the Chicago service center to fix this issue. They told me everything looked and sounded normal and didn’t fix a thing. Very frustrating.
Sponsored

OP
OP

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had an appointment last week at the Chicago service center to fix this issue. They told me everything looked and sounded normal and didn’t fix a thing. Very frustrating.
Well, that’s discouraging. I get that it’s happening to a lot of vehicles, but that sound is a clear NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) and can’t possibly be an intended sound. It clearly is an issue and calling it ‘normal’ Is just really frustrating.

OP
OP

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Quick update: I brought my truck in for service and received the standard response: “it is operating as designed”. I expressed my dismay at that diagnosis, but they just reiterated that it was just the noises that these vehiclesmake.

VERY disappointed that Rivian refuses to fix this obvious issue.

if anyone else has had better luck getting this addressed recently, please let me know.

Thanks!

Florida Boy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX300h, Toyota Tacoma
Quick update: I brought my truck in for service and received the standard response: “it is operating as designed”. I expressed my dismay at that diagnosis, but they just reiterated that it was just the noises that these vehiclesmake.

VERY disappointed that Rivian refuses to fix this obvious issue.

if anyone else has had better luck getting this addressed recently, please let me know.

Thanks!
I took my truck to the SF service center back in November for this issue. The mechanic rode with me and said he knew exactly what was happening and it was usually fixed by lubricating some of the half shaft parts. I was very skeptical, but the issue essentially disappeared and hasn't returned.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I took my truck to the SF service center back in November for this issue. The mechanic rode with me and said he knew exactly what was happening and it was usually fixed by lubricating some of the half shaft parts. I was very skeptical, but the issue essentially disappeared and hasn't returned.
Several of us have had the half shafts lubricated more than once and the noise does return.

Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
Mine is in the high 15k. I hear it very slightly and do not feel it. It was explained that it just due to the motors having very slight differences in energization at low speed. Have no idea how true that might be.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
My R1S got delivered with this issue. Have an appointment at the Chicago Service center for this and some other noise from the rear suspension.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I just turn my music up high enough to not hear anything, including my children. Problem solved!

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I do wonder if the upcoming dual Enduro motor R1 vehicles will also have updated half shafts that don‘t require grease treatments to mask tocking sounds. No mention of that from Rivian, but not something I’d expect them to tout about the dual motor version either.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Does anyone else feel it in the pedal at highway speeds when getting off/on accelerator? It’s quieter since the greasing treatment but can still feel it.

Sponsored

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
Yes, it's still a thing. My half shafts have been replaced once and greased twice. It's cold now and I can barely hear it and fully expect it to notice it in full force when it get warmer.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I had them serviced my truck when it got worse last fall, and I haven't heard it since.

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition El Cap
Occupation
Custom Residential Builder
We picked up my 2nd reservation 3 weeks ago, it's Vin 18,xxx. It developed the tocking before I got home 4hrs later. Interestingly my 1st truck did not have this noise, it was much more of a heavy tha-dunk/CA-chunk sound than this new clucking/tocking. The newer truck sounds like the wheel of fortune wheel when driving in a parking lot. It's super loud, super embarrassing, and louder than the pedestrian speaker. The new truck's heater also does not work while driving, only when sitting still. Evidently too much cold air comes into the cabin while driving. Submitted tickets for both but getting crickets from the other end. Gonna wait another week and submit more tickets.

Pdm1230

First Name
Paarin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director
I had mobile service and a visit to the service center to address this. Mobile service claimed to have resolved it, but it was literally back within hours. When I took it into the SC, they actually made the sound go away for the most part. Its still there, but not nearly as noisy. My bigger complaint is the wind noise but they can't seem to get rid of that.
Sponsored