Sponsored

Loud hissing noise while raising or lowering height of R1S

antelux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Forrester
Clubs

I am hearing a loud hissing noise from the rear right of my R1S whenever I try to raise or lower the height. This happens when manually adjusting height or when switching drive modes. The earliest appointment I could get is in May. Is this an indication of a suspension issue? Is the car safe to drive? I will post a video showing the noise later tonight.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Does it sound as if it might represent air being moved under pressure into or out of the suspension system?

That's my impression of how the height adjustments are supposed to work....

Best wishes!

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Check the spare wheel tub for moisture. I heard a hissing, kinda farting noise, before a bubbling noise. Ended up being 3" of water in the spare tire well. The suspension compressor in that area drowned to death.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Sounds mostly normal…I know a few people have had lose connections and that could be why it hisses a bit more…

Sponsored

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
With due respect, are you aware of how the air suspension works? It’s most likely just the sound that it makes, although without a recording it’s impossible to guess if it might be abnormal…

OP
OP

antelux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Forrester
Clubs

Does it sound as if it might represent air being moved under pressure into or out of the suspension system?

That's my impression of how the height adjustments are supposed to work....

Best wishes!
This started happening recently and sounds like air being moved out (like a balloon defalting)

OP
OP

antelux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Forrester
Clubs

Check the spare wheel tub for moisture. I heard a hissing, kinda farting noise, before a bubbling noise. Ended up being 3" of water in the spare tire well. The suspension compressor in that area drowned to death.
I will check it out, thanks for the pointer - we had a lot of rains last few days.

OP
OP

antelux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Forrester
Clubs

Thanks for this tip - it looks like there is water below the spare wheel well. I wasn't able to open it, but it is wet.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for this tip - it looks like there is water below the spare wheel well. I wasn't able to open it, but it is wet.
Mine started with those noises, then the suspension fault error. Within a day I had a drive system fault and the vehicle said call a tow truck " driving disabled". Ended up drowning and killing the compressor. Moisture also got into the rear drive harness, which caused the drive system fault. Water never made it to the seating areas or carpets, but I did make them change out the floor panels under the spare tire. In my case, I didn't find the water until 20 minutes before the tow truck arrived. I made sure to call the SC and make sure they dry up the water before they let it sit waiting for repairs, so it would not have a mold situation.

They ended up doing multiple high pressure water tests and found that the water was coming from below the vehicle. Took about a week for the new parts to arrive and for the fixes to be complete. We've had the R1S back for a week and it has been good so far. Today we drove 250 miles round trip in heavy rain from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara and everything was dry as bone when we got home. R1S handled the terrible weather like no other car I've driven and was a dream to drive.

Sponsored

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I never listened to the suspension adjusting while outside the vehicle but the clicking noises I hear inside are a bit odd. They sound like those in your video. I assumed this is the air suspension adjusting. It seems to happen too often, at standstill usually when the vehicle is in All Purpose mode but not always when in this mode.

I’ve owned a a couple of vehicles with air suspension (BMW, Mercedes) and don’t recall ever hearing the clicking noises. I believe the air hose/hissing like sound in your video I’ve heard with the Mercedes but not the BMW.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
I never listened to the suspension adjusting while outside the vehicle but the clicking noises I hear inside are a bit odd. They sound like those in your video. I assumed this is the air suspension adjusting. It seems to happen too often, at standstill usually when the vehicle is in All Purpose mode but not always when in this mode.

I’ve owned a a couple of vehicles with air suspension (BMW, Mercedes) and don’t recall ever hearing the clicking noises. I believe the air hose/hissing like sound in your video I’ve heard with the Mercedes but not the BMW.
The clicking sounds while ride height adjusts are relays or solenoids clicking on/off to control the flow of air pressure from the tank to each of the four struts. This is normal.

I've also noticed my R1S readjusting or settling in long after I adjusted the height, for example from low to standard. This usually happens at a red light and you can notice the front end either pitching up or down slightly. It seems normal and doesn't persist after the system makes those small adjustments once.

OP
OP

antelux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Forrester
Clubs

Does it sounds like this? (Listen at the very beginning of the video)

You'd know you have a problem...

:CWL:

Rivian R1S Build Quality (youtube.com)
Yes - it was exactly like that. However, there was water in the spare wheel tub like Killer95Stang mentioned in his post. Rivian service team replaced the panels which were wet and had started showing signs of mold and found a leak in the seal in lift gate. The noise is not completely gone, but Rivian tells me it is now within the range of noise on other R1Ss.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
The clicking sounds while ride height adjusts are relays or solenoids clicking on/off to control the flow of air pressure from the tank to each of the four struts. This is normal.

I've also noticed my R1S readjusting or settling in long after I adjusted the height, for example from low to standard. This usually happens at a red light and you can notice the front end either pitching up or down slightly. It seems normal and doesn't persist after the system makes those small adjustments once.
I will pay more attention now but you may be right that it doesn't persist after the system makes those small adjustments once.
Sponsored