Sponsored

NACS and R2S news coming in March???

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
I believe Tesla will charge non-Tesla EVs a significant premium per kWh for charging. That’s where they get their return - not just getting folks to use NACS (which is a way better plug anyway).

If Tesla has anything to do with the timing, it will be delayed. So think Summer as they do have an incentive to get folks using the network in time for summer vacations.

Debbie downer note - once you have access, the lines will be long. Even with just Teslas, I find myself waiting 15-30 minutes at the more convenient SCs during busier travel times (I have an X).
Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I believe Tesla will charge non-Tesla EVs a significant premium per kWh for charging. That’s where they get their return - not just getting folks to use NACS (which is a way better plug anyway).

If Tesla has anything to do with the timing, it will be delayed. So think Summer as they do have an incentive to get folks using the network in time for summer vacations.

Debbie downer note - once you have access, the lines will be long. Even with just Teslas, I find myself waiting 15-30 minutes at the more convenient SCs during busier travel times (I have an X).
There is a subscription one can get for non-Tesla vehicles. If you plan to charge all the time using SC, then its worth - probably.

As for the wait times, your experience must be an east coast thing. Here in the west, most SC stations have 20~50+ stalls on interstates between metropolitan city pairs. In town, there are usually 10~20 stalls per station.

I have never waited to charge, except once in Palo Alto shopping center, when I was visiting our son. Its rare for us.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
When Rivian announced that they were converting to NACS they also said that they would provide adapters to the J1772 Rivian owners. If this is , in fact, the case, I would hope that the adapter would have about a 36" pig tail to accommodate a Rivian charging from he appropriate parking slot at a Tesla Supercharger Station.

Brian
It won’t be a pigtail.

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
There is a subscription one can get for non-Tesla vehicles. If you plan to charge all the time using SC, then its worth - probably.

As for the wait times, your experience must be an east coast thing. Here in the west, most SC stations have 20~50+ stalls on interstates between metropolitan city pairs. In town, there are usually 10~20 stalls per station.

I have never waited to charge, except once in Palo Alto shopping center, when I was visiting our son. Its rare for us.
Definitely an East Coast issue. Far less Superchargers and they tend to have 8 stalls at most - even on newer ones. Some have 10. Never seen more than that and I’ve been up and done I95.

Not complaining. I will take what I can get. But having had a Tesla since 2013, I have no faith in any timeline they provide.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
The big test for opening up the supercharger network will be to see if it happens for Ford and GM in February. If that's on time I think Rivian might be able to get access in the spring. If that slips then Rivian's access will slip.
Let Ford and GM work out the bugs as I'm sure there will be many!

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
If no pig tail, how will the adapter be made usable at an SC?

Brian
Tesla is fixing this “going forward” 2 ways:

1. V4 dispensers have longer cables
2. New installs are installed closer to the center of the parking space

For old installs, blocking the neighboring stall will be the M.O.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
When Rivian announced that they were converting to NACS they also said that they would provide adapters to the J1772 Rivian owners. If this is , in fact, the case, I would hope that the adapter would have about a 36" pig tail to accommodate a Rivian charging from he appropriate parking slot at a Tesla Supercharger Station.

Brian

Umm... pigtails? The adapter Rivian said it would provide its current customers (delivered with J1772 port) is not to retrofit the charge port on the vehicle to NACS. The adapter is to adapt a Tesla plug to a J1772 port. Rivian will not offer retrofitting of ports.

For example, adapter made by Lectron: https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...ith-gm-ford-rivian-mercedes-nissan-500a-1000v

Tesla chargers will get longer cables. Or, it's up to you to park in whichever spot you need to reach (like you currently would).

Last edited:

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Let Ford and GM work out the bugs as I'm sure there will be many!
When it comes to my $100k investment, I will be willing to wait until the kinks are fixed.

On the West Coast (California), we are getting more RANs all the time, so I don't think there will be a mad rush for non-Tesla users to start using them. I know for me it will be more of a "if there isn't a RAN charger close and the EAs close by are getting horrible reviews....then I will use one". It will be nice to have the fall-back option.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Umm... pigtails? The adapter Rivian said it would provide its current customers (delivered with J1772 port) is not to retrofit the charge port on the vehicle to NACS. The adapter is to adapt a Tesla plug to a J1772 port. Rivian will not offer retrofitting of ports.

For example, adapter made by Lectron: https://ev-lectron.com/products/lec...ith-gm-ford-rivian-mercedes-nissan-500a-1000v

Tesla chargers will get longer cables. Or, it's up to you to park in whichever spot you need to reach (like you currently would).
I hope they give us Lectron's. They are a great product. We have the Lectron 32a charger for our home and it has been outside 24-7 for the last 2-1/2 years and it has not hiccuped one time. We use it for our RAV4 Prime and the R1T.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

Your first sentence makes me think you're misunderstanding what a "pigtail" is. However, you're right that they won't be offering pigtails. :)

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
My Rivian contact says the Supercharger network access should be ready (along with adapters) in March or April. They are still sorting through the back-end billing which drives the uncertainty around launch timing.
What is the billing issue? Everyone will need the Tesla app and an account with a membership choice and a saved form of payment. The only difference(s) from plugging in a Tesla should be using an adapter, and initiating by app (as opposed to plug-and-play). There is no issue...

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

What is the billing issue? Everyone will need the Tesla app and an account with a membership choice and a saved form of payment. The only difference(s) from plugging in a Tesla should be using an adapter, and initiating by app (as opposed to plug-and-play). There is no issue...
Some have said it sounds like it might go through the Rivian app.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
I'd have to find the quote attributed to RJ but I believe Rivian is buying the power from Tesla and then billing its own customers. That's the billing issue as I understand it. I'd infer that perhaps no Tesla app will be required, it could all be managed through the Rivian app.

Would probably be far simpler to have Tesla manage the billing, and maybe this is how it pans out in the end, but I don't think that is what Rivian has planned at the moment.

You know, wanting to "own the software stack" and all ;-)

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Maybe, except I already have the Tesla app and can start magic dock superchargers with subscription for $0.35/KW, essentially the same as EVGO, EA, Chargepoint. They already are getting $$$ from the government to open access to their chargers, a requirement for getting federal money. They'll be thrilled to have open chargers being used by someone.
Sponsored