Sponsored

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
I haven’t seen this posted yet, so adding for the folks interested in Pebble or similar propelled camper trailers (eg: Lightship). I’m currently under wifey trailer veto status, but you all enjoy…

“The preliminary data reported by the R1S towing a 6,200 lbs Pebble Flow engineering prototype however show that at a constant speed of 55 mph, the average efficiency stands at 1.4 miles per kWh without active propulsion assist. This increases to 1.8 miles per kWh when the active propulsion assist system is activated. While the initial results are promising, we at Pebble are committed to further testing and enhancing performance ahead of production commencement later this year.”
Sponsored

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
We have an airstream and travel a lot. I've been monitoring these RV companies and trying to gauge what combination of tow vehicle and trailer is best for our family over the next couple years. That said, we need efficiency info for 65mph! 55 is insane for interstate towing which is really the main place efficiency numbers start to matter.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
Following this. Will also be in the market for a new RV in the next year or two. The question is to just get something for 3-5 years and then hop into these new class of towables after that or just wait a couple more years with our POS camper and then take the plunge. Big part of that equation is what the actual demand looks like and what kind of production rates they have.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Same here 😒
I might never be able to convince my wife. To her, camping is staying at a Marriott. A towable is not even in the discussion. I might get her in a 45 foot pusher with multiple slide outs though. The best argument is "we can bring the dogs".

Sponsored

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
Looks pretty interesting but I’ll reserve judgment until I can actually touch the finished product. Why? They advertise they have execs from Apple and Tesla but I don’t see any mention of experience from Airstream. It’s hard for me to imagine that a group of, even intelligent, folks can build a usable RV with absolutely no prior experience. We’ll see.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

We have an airstream and travel a lot. I've been monitoring these RV companies and trying to gauge what combination of tow vehicle and trailer is best for our family over the next couple years. That said, we need efficiency info for 65mph! 55 is insane for interstate towing which is really the main place efficiency numbers start to matter.
This.

Towing a 7000 pound 28 foot trailer with worse aero I'd get 1.3-1.5 mi/kWh at 55 MPH, but only 0.8 at 65.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I might never be able to convince my wife. To her, camping is staying at a Marriott. A towable is not even in the discussion. I might get her in a 45 foot pusher with multiple slide outs though. The best argument is "we can bring the dogs".
Mine said we should wait until the kids are off to college. Our daughter is 2. :facepalm:

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Since COVID, hotels have been critically understaffed and it's very common to find dirty stained bedding and trash left in hotel rooms.

Once we went RV, we never looked back. Cheaper vacationing and everything is ours.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Mine said we should wait until the kids are off to college. Our daughter is 2. :facepalm:
Just do it and ask for forgiveness later.

(It's a rewarding way to bond and adventure as a family. Priceless memories. We've driven across the US together, have fished the keys, gone clamming on PEI, hiked the narrows in Zion, boondocked on the wall in the badlands, walked on glaciers along the icefield parkway, and so much more.)

Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Exactly! 55? What did Sammy Hagar say?

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
I perfer the updated... "I Can't Drive 65"... :cool:

Tr4ckD4ys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

$125k for that camper with electric motor & battery though… that’s pretty steep. From the high level looks of it I don’t see how it could be worth that, as in, cost more than the EV towing vehicle itself for a sub 30ft towable.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
😎🐕🐕‍🦺🦮🐩

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I haven’t seen this posted yet, so adding for the folks interested in Pebble or similar propelled camper trailers (eg: Lightship). I’m currently under wifey trailer veto status, but you all enjoy…

“The preliminary data reported by the R1S towing a 6,200 lbs Pebble Flow engineering prototype however show that at a constant speed of 55 mph, the average efficiency stands at 1.4 miles per kWh without active propulsion assist. This increases to 1.8 miles per kWh when the active propulsion assist system is activated. While the initial results are promising, we at Pebble are committed to further testing and enhancing performance ahead of production commencement later this year.”
It's neat, but the propulsion assist, Magic Pack I believe they called it, makes me wonder how many miles of propulsion assist that's good for. Are you stuck pulling into a charger, dropping the trailer close to a dispenser to plug in, then pulling your truck up to another to charge both simultaneously? That's lame, but I suppose the only option.

The 1kW onboard solar is pretty nice though.

Side note Canucks just scored a third goal!!!!
Sponsored