Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Beginning in mid-2024 the Polestar 3 for the U.S. market, including the LiDAR-equipped version, will be built at Volvo’s U.S. factory. From 4Q23 launch of the P3 until U.S. production gets underway, Polestar 3s delivered in the U.S will be built in China.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
It is ~86% owned by Li Shufu. About 6% is in the public market. Mr. Li owns 100% of Geely which in turn owns 82.5% of Volvo which in turn owns 49.5% of Polestar privately-held stock while Geely owns the remaining 50.5% of the privately held shares.

It is a Geely subsidiary, listed as a Geely subsidiary on its web site, its vehicles are built in Geely factories, it runs on a Geely EV platform shared with Seeker and Volvo. And, yes, Geely has better experience in manufacturing than Rivian by more than a decade. RIvian will get there.
It is still way too much of extraordinary profits going to Chinese institutions for my preference.

This could all change if China truly opens their markets to foreigners, adopts different foreign policies, and change to a more rule of law system

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Beginning in mid-2024 the Polestar 3’s for the U.S. market , including the LiDAR-equipped version, will be built at Volvo’s U.S. factory.
This doesn’t address my concerns. That money still funnels up to a predominantly Chinese company. Extraordinary profits.

Also, the US doesn’t force Geely to create a JV with a U.S. based company if they want to build a factory in the US. But in China, if Rivian were to want to build a factory there, Rivian would need to form a JV with a local Chinese company and share profits with. How Tesla got past this is very strange, and speaks more to favoritism than rule of law in China.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

This doesn’t address my concerns. That money still funnels up to a predominantly Chinese company. Extraordinary profits.

Also, the US doesn’t force Geely to create a JV with a U.S. based company if they want to build a factory in the US. But in China, if Rivian were to want to build a factory there, Rivian would need to form a JV with a local Chinese company and share profits with. How Tesla got past this is very strange, and speaks more to favoritism than rule of law in China.
I wasn’t disagreeing with your points. I was just adding an additional fact about where U.S. market Polestars will be built by around mid-2024.

BTW, I believe some Volvo models sold in the U.S. are built in China.

Edit: I think that last point may be wrong. Maybe all U.S. Volvos are built in Sweden, Belgium and South Carolina.

Last edited:

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

The Polestar 3 is in the $90K+ range with Lidar......and it certainly appeals to the Volvo mindset....it's not a direct cross-shop to an R1S, but it will certainly be cross shopped by female audiences (according to market research)....that want to lean more on sport cross-over or Land Cruiser off-road R1S styling.......

At $69K it's an absolute winner, but at $85K to start....not so sure, but I imagine they will sell all 70K they make......

Sponsored

Hyro

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
tech
We're a P2 (hers) and R1T (mine) household. They are both fantastic EVs! The P2 is really insanely fun to drive fast on gravel and forest roads. It's begging to have a rally build. The P2 is also much more confidence inspiring in winter weather. And the google integration is amazing (though yes, the computer is much slower than the R1T).

At any rate, I think they're a perfect pair!

dsmithsalinas

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2023 Polestar 2
Occupation
Product Manager
We plan to replace our ICE vehicle with another electric later this year to compliment our R1T. The P2 is at the top of the list right now. It’s a fun looking car.

I love the look of the P3, but the price point is so so. I don’t need two $80k vehicles lol

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
80k not that impressive compared to Rivian 50k when you consider how long each has been in production AND that Rivian has their own factory. Rivian is doing a great job by the numbers. Glad to see more Polestars on the road also.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

Yeah I too am a little tired with the one sided non cooperation with China and the CCP. That and the fact that their government ignores and even encourages blatant theft of US companies intellectual property rights. I’m personally trying to put as little money as possible in the pockets of the CCP.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Yeah I too am a little tired with the one sided non cooperation with China and the CCP. That and the fact that their government ignores and even encourages blatant theft of US companies intellectual property rights. I’m personally trying to put as little money as possible in the pockets of the CCP.
I agree but I wouldn’t think Polestar is making extraordinary profit. Auto manufacturers don’t usually have large margins as it is a competitive market and a capital intensive business.

Sponsored

Hepatightass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EVs only
Clubs

The only way Polestar "competes" with Rivian is because they both make electric vehicles, but in no way do I see anyone buying a Polestar also looking at an R1T or R1S. Totally different vehicles. Tesla, sure. But I don't view them as a direct Rivian competitor.
Agreed. I have both and they're good in their own different ways.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I'm likely going to look into the Polestar3 if Rivian isn't able to fix the tok my R1T has along with improving Driver+, and fixing a lot of the annoying bugs.

I'll miss the off-road capabilities and other things I like about the R1T.

I expect the real world range will be about the same.

I am disappointed that there doesn't seem to be an open-roof type EV's. About the only option is the Jeep Wrangler 4xe which is a hybrid, but can do electric only. Originally when I reserved the R1T I did so expecting an open-top version, but that didn't seem like it was going to happen so that's why I opted to get one earlier than I originally anticipated.

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I could care less about the ownership or location of factories for polestar or any other company-- and I say this as someone who once paid for a Mercedes built in Alabama.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Given how well Volvos sell in the US, it is surprising to hear so much banter about the brand. I am sure there are some real people, but wonder if there is some guerrilla marketing teams are in action. I rarely hear about BMWs or Mercedes which sell way more than Volvo.
Sponsored