Sponsored

R1S battery outdated already?

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I’m picking up my R1S this week and I read that they are going with newer more efficient batteries soon? Is that 2024? My vehicle is already outdated?
Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

To be blunt, *any* EV you buy today is "outdated" in the sense that there will always be something better just around the corner. ICE vehicles have had over 100 years of continuous development and few today worry about waiting to make a purchase based on what's coming. EVs are still very much in their infancy and the EV you buy today will be the worst they will ever be.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Wouldn't worry about it...if you keep waiting for the next iteration or improvements, you'll never buy anything...everything you can buy now is outdated, as the next big thing is always around the corner. ;)

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
The CFO recently said there will be some changes to the battery pack as part of the 2024 production line shutdown/upgrade. But those changes are primarily about lowering the cost of production, so I wouldn't expect revolutionary changes in efficiency. That said, with the pace of change in the EV world, any EV risks being "outdated" within a year or two.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I’m picking up my R1S this week and I read that they are going with newer more efficient batteries soon? Is that 2024? My vehicle is already outdated?
They will maintain the same kWh so it really doesn’t matter. Tesla has iterated batteries during production. Consumer never realizes benefits it’s usually lower cost production for them (automaker). Not to worry.

Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

It's not outdated. They are releasing the standard pack next year but no other updates are confirmed. There are rumors of other battery changes but nothing specific has been released by Rivian.

Speculation on my part.... Battery changes are likely to be to simplify its structure. I don't see them doing s complete rework this soon... But.... Nobody except Rivian can say for sure.

I'm going to say what I said on all the Tesla forums for years. If you're delaying your purchase, waiting for the next update. You will wait forever because there will always be a new update on the horizon when the update you're currently waiting for is released.

https://electrek.co/2023/12/04/rivi...er-simplified-battery-pack-r1-ev-coming-2024/

Quote from interview:
And then we’re introducing a new battery as well, for the R1 vehicles. That very heavily simplifies the battery pack and module structure that we will be building and takes thousands of dollars of costs out, additional mass out, is much easier to manufacturer and build as well, within the vehicles. So that’s another example of some of the new technologies that will be coming into place next year that is a key enabler for the operational efficiency, including cost efficiency, that will get unlocked with these introductions.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The CFO recently said there will be some changes to the battery pack as part of the 2024 production line shutdown/upgrade. But those changes are primarily about lowering the cost of production, so I wouldn't expect revolutionary changes in efficiency. That said, with the pace of change in the EV world, any EV risks being "outdated" within a year or two.
The CFO being the one doing the announcing makes it seem like it's mostly a cost and manufacturing efficiency change versus one the customer will benefit from. Ultimately things should get better for the customer, but it makes it seem like that's not the focus this time around.

Neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Expedition Max LTD, 2020 Volvo XC60
these cars are increasingly like computers....there's always a faster chip and processor and newer battery coming out tomorrow. Get your car when you need it if it meets your current requirements. If you wait for tomorrow's computer/car, it'll be outdated day after tomorrow.... figuratively speaking

Picard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, X5 45E
and dont forget the CCS ports that we are all carrying on our R1x are dodos now :).

Just enjoy the vehicle and know that the next EV you get will always be better than the one you are buying now.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

thats technology. as soon as its in your hands, its outdated.

Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T R1S
and dont forget the CCS ports that we are all carrying on our R1x are dodos now :).

Just enjoy the vehicle and know that the next EV you get will always be better than the one you are buying now.
Think they'll offer a CCS to NACS retro? Hell I'd pay 500$ to get mine changed out, no adapter just straight sweet sweet NACS port.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
Don’t be me, I’m still running Windows 95 on a Pentium because the next years PCs are going to better. Did you know how nice the forum looks on Netscape?

Battery tech is the same, every few years we see small improvements in density but anything big is always in the distant future, at least compared with the service life of your Rivian. Energy density is key to losing weight but batteries that charge faster would allow them to shrink yet spend less time fast charging.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
I’m glad to be soon joining the Rivian family. We won’t ever buy a Tesla.
I'll sell you my 2022 Model S Plaid for $1

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I’m glad to be soon joining the Rivian family. We won’t ever buy a Tesla.
Never say never... We have a Model 3 and BMW i3 in addition to our Rivian.. each vehicle is excellent if used appropriately.
The Model 3 and i3 are super efficient commuter vehicles, the Rivian is inefficient (it requires 2X more energy/mile than the Model 3 and i3) as a commuter vehicle when compared to the Model 3 and i3. With that in mind.. I can't tow our boat with the Model 3 or i3, so that's the Rivian's job, along with any trips that need to be made in snow, inclement weather, or hauling heavy loads or cargo.
Sponsored