First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Good Q and asked the same. This is what I got from mobile guy (top guy, he even did the seatbelt recall at a charger last week when I bumped into him!):
Simply jumping it won't help. The truck would likely have to go in even if I could recharge/replace the low voltage batteries. They'll need to figure out why the truck stopped charging them.
Just a FYI, mobile service swapped out my 12V batteries last week.
Sponsored

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Just a FYI, mobile service swapped out my 12V batteries last week.
Did you also have a dead R1T? Interesting they swapped it via mobile service as I was specifically told they had to further investigate why they died in the first place hence towing to service center.
Clearly would have much preferred a fix at home too.

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Did you also have a dead R1T? Interesting they swapped it via mobile service as I was specifically told they had to further investigate why they died in the first place hence towing to service center.
Clearly would have much preferred a fix at home too.
No the truck wasn't dead, just wouldn't update because it kept saying the 12V system was to low.

68wske

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Challenger Scat Pack Widebody
Occupation
RN
Same here. On Saturday morning, I parked, locked, started update when I got home from work. Woke up the next day and washed it and went to plug it in, but wouldnā€™t unlock. I had unlocked it prior to put a sunshade in the windshield, but no dice at the end of the day.

Jumping from the trailer hitch unlocked the driverā€™s side, and jumping from the drunk unlocked the passenger side. Mobile service is coming out Friday morning @9a to do the batteries, recall, and my persistent fob problem.

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Update on my side.
Called support to get an update as they have had the truck since Monday pm and hadn't heard anything (annoying they don't have a number for the SC and one has to call the main support line)
They still haven't done anything with it after 3 days. Didn't really need a rental but they have now offered Uber credits. Feels like it will be a couple of weeks affair. Not ideal.
Hopefully some of you will be luckier with how quickly they fix the issue

Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Update on my side.
Called support to get an update as they have had the truck since Monday pm and hadn't heard anything (annoying they don't have a number for the SC and one has to call the main support line)
They still haven't done anything with it after 3 days. Didn't really need a rental but they have now offered Uber credits. Feels like it will be a couple of weeks affair. Not ideal.
Hopefully some of you will be luckier with how quickly they fix the issue
Just wondering, how much in credits did they give you per day? Months ago I received $400 a day and had to keep calling every day to get more.

I'm thinking about dropping off at the SC when I'm going OOT and don't want to deal with a loaner but would probably need about $200 to get home and then to the airport.

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
$250/day. Might ask for more if needed as they have already saved 3 days and really not looking at at the truck for 3 days is not good

Pdm1230

First Name
Paarin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director
Add me to the list. I have a 11xxx R1T. Monday night the car would not go into drive or reverse. After a half hour the lights all flickered and then the truck fully died. Luckily we were able to get in before it all went down, but the gear tunnel was inaccessible.

I called in to Rivian support and they sent a truck out to NJ to pick it up within 90 minutes. Probably because I was not at home when this happened, but instead at a local school. The tow company was towstar enterprises out of the city. The driver was super careful and knew what he was doing. He had to use skid plates to get the truck on the flatbed. Whole thing took 30 min from arrival to departure. I thanked him profusely for coming out at 11pm to Warren NJ from the city. He probably didn't get to the Brooklyn SC until 1am.

I finally got through to service on Friday and they claimed it was a loose connection to the 12V system. I don't really buy that because it sounds a little too coincidental with everyone else reporting similar issues. I got the truck back this morning. They also fixed a rattle and a piece of loose exterior trim. It was washed as well which was nice other than the fact I immediately drove it home in rain and snow.

I'm really nervous about taking it anywhere far until we know for sure that there's a real fix. We were just in Boston and we are really lucky this didn't happen there. We were only a few minutes away from home which made this easy.

Has anyone gotten any better answers from Brooklyn? Also, is it me or is Brooklyn entirely difficult to get In touch with? I saw they were moving my car around and charging it for days before I could get information. Even the main support line could never get through. I finally insisted they transfer me and let me sit on hold until they answered.

Last edited:

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Good to know and interesting, thank you.
I had no issue with my 2018 Model S for 3 years maybe I got lucky, clearly not the case w the R1T:mad:
We are on our 2nd M3 and equally no issue on that front but by no mean I am saying Tesla is fault free
I had a 2014 Model S. Definitely had a few of these issues in the early days. Went through a few 12v batteries. But once the software got to a certain point it was pretty rock solid with every update. Hopefully that will happen with Rivian soon as well, but the 12V issues have been ongoing for a while now and really shouldn't still be an issue.

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

No the truck wasn't dead, just wouldn't update because it kept saying the 12V system was to low.
Same here. Would not update the software because the 12V was too low. Took it to the service center. They looked at it for a couple hours but couldn't figure it out. I needed the truck back to move my daughter the next day so I am taking it back in next week and leaving it for 5 days while I am out of town. Hopefully they figure it out and give me a wonderful surprise of a functional tonneau (hopes not high for the last part).

Sponsored

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Same towing company, guy told me he had the contract for the tri-state area. Agreed they were clued up and knew what to do.
Spoke to SC yesterday, they had done nothing for 4 days. Only way to get hold of them is to call via support, apparently they have only 2 SAs in Brooklynā€¦
On Monday, I am going to have a much less friendly conversation with them.
They need to replace both 12V batteries

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
One more today, same symptom post update so I assume 12v batteries.

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Finally got an update from SC. Truck has been revived, 12v batteries replaced. They are investigating root cause further and will update again tomorrow.
Truck has been there for 1 week but they started working on it seemingly today

Pdm1230

First Name
Paarin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director
Finally got an update from SC. Truck has been revived, 12v batteries replaced. They are investigating root cause further and will update again tomorrow.
Truck has been there for 1 week but they started working on it seemingly today
Were they able to provide a root cause? I'm wondering if it's the same as what they told me.

TacoMcDonut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just an update to mine as well. Tech stated the following:

Cause:​
- Vehicle was non-responsive upon arrival. Gained access to the 12v battery system and found both batteries discharged just below 12v. Charged batteries and submitted DTCs to engineering team for analysis. Diagnostic team reports a software bug that seemed to cause certain modules to power up out of sequence, which was leading to numerous drivability concerns. The fix being implemented at this time is a manual vehicle/DTC reset followed by monitoring 12v health during numerous sleep cycles. After performing all tasks suggested by engineering team the vehicle is operating as intended and the 12v batteries are being fully supported.ā€​

So I was without the truck for a week, had to drive 225 miles round trip today during a Norā€™easter to pick it up only to be told it was a software glitch. Iā€™m frustrated that they wouldnā€™t send mobile out for what I appear to have correctly assumed was just a dead 12v system.

Wife told me I canā€™t apply updates anymore šŸ¤£

@cpd1 - Hope you get the truck back soon and without further issue.
Sponsored