Sponsored

SolarR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Canyon Red R1S / White Model Y
Clubs

Maybe I haven't been paying close attention to them since most of them are pretty far from me, and I probably won't use them. And now I care since they are opening chargers I would have used on trips I've taken in the last year. Obviously more chargers are better, but locations in California really don't affect me, and being selfish, I want more Mid-Atlantic and New England.
Heh... funny to read as it's my same sentiment except I don't care about all the fluff happening on the east cost. I'm much more interested to see charger stations opening up in the west and mid west.. Really need chargers in NV/UT/NM/ID/MT/WY/SD/ND/NE and more chargers needed in CO for sure.
Sponsored

Lars24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

Does anyone have information on the new charging site in West Lebanon NH? I'm also planning to see the eclipse (weather permitting), but concerned that the charging infrastructure will be completely overwhelmed with the traffic. Having a dedicated charging site half way between me (MA) and the eclipse (northern VT), would be ideal....
I don’t have anything definitive, except for construction work has resumed this week. They have put up some new lighting and the area is fenced off still (as of today). The site still needs a transformer, I haven’t heard any information on when that will be delivered/installed and the site activated.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Unlikely this is functional by April 5th or 9th, but man would it be nice if it was. I'm headed down to the Dallas area for the eclipse and sounds like the local EA site isn't in great condition. I'm surprised it isn't even listed on PlugShare yet as a Coming Soon site.

I drive to Houston multiple times a year from Denver to see family and never use the EA charger in Wichita.

Charge up to 80% at the EA in Salina, KS and that will get you to the EA charger in Blackwell, OK. Do the same on the return and you skip going 20 miles out of your way to charge at that wonky EA in Wichita.

Safe travels.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I drive to Houston multiple times a year from Denver to see family and never use the EA charger in Wichita.

Charge up to 80% at the EA in Salina, KS and that will get you to the EA charger in Blackwell, OK. Do the same on the return and you skip going 20 miles out of your way to charge at that wonky EA in Wichita.

Safe travels.
Thanks for confirming that's possible...if I played with stuff in ABRP I was able to get it to do something similar, but I'll need 80-85% with the 20s pending weather conditions. Sadly, this RAN is going to be on KS96 almost to 35, so similar story of being next to useless for those passing through on 135. I'll probably top up a bit higher at the Hays RAN to reduce charging time in Salina.

OP
OP

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
1Q came and went with only a few openings. Only 71 total open stations as of 3/31/2024, an increase of only 7 since 12/31/2023.

I think it's 100% fair game to start asking RJ, the RAN department head, in the reddit "Ask Rivian" thread, and on the investor call what's going on with the slowing pace. The trend over the last 4 quarters has been 18, 14, 12, 7. They continue to provide guidance that the RAN will be fully built out as original envisioned, but clearly there's something going on. Is this simply them prioritizing cash to other things in the short term? Are they working on an update to the chargers that has caused them to pause deployment? Is there a parts shortage? Strategic shift away from the RAN entirely? Something's happened in the last year to change the pace of their buildout effort.

FWIW, I don't think they're showing signs of abandoning the buildout. There are 20 sites showing as "coming soon" on their official map, including some that were added recently. There are at least 11 that are under construction. New permit applications are being filed regularly. So the pace hasn't dropped to zero. It's just slowed A LOT. At the current pace, it's going to be YEARS before they build the 600 stations they originally planned and are still advising on.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
1Q came and went with only a few openings. Only 71 total open stations as of 3/31/2024, an increase of only 7 since 12/31/2023.

I think it's 100% fair game to start asking RJ, the RAN department head, in the reddit "Ask Rivian" thread, and on the investor call what's going on with the slowing pace. The trend over the last 4 quarters has been 18, 14, 12, 7. They continue to provide guidance that the RAN will be fully built out as original envisioned, but clearly there's something going on. Is this simply them prioritizing cash to other things in the short term? Are they working on an update to the chargers that has caused them to pause deployment? Is there a parts shortage? Strategic shift away from the RAN entirely? Something's happened in the last year to change the pace of their buildout effort.

FWIW, I don't think they're showing signs of abandoning the buildout. There are 20 sites showing as "coming soon" on their official map, including some that were added recently. There are at least 11 that are under construction. New permit applications are being filed regularly. So the pace hasn't dropped to zero. It's just slowed A LOT. At the current pace, it's going to be YEARS before they build the 600 stations they originally planned and are still advising on.
7 is very disappointing but hopefully there is a reason behind it like saving money or upgrading the chargers. It's going to take decades to get to 600 at this rate. Maybe once the R2 line is setup the RAN will be become more of a priority.

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Pure speculation below:

I agree that it is a disappointing pace, but if I think there are two big reasons to slow roll (no pun intended) right now - NEVI funding and the Tesla Supercharger network.

I would be trying to grab NEVI funds for every charger I had plans to build.

I don't know how the organizational structure works, but I would imagine most of the level 3 charging team was focused on the Tesla rollout.

Sponsored

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

You're right, it has slowed a lot. I think most of us get annoyed when the slow pace impacts the stations we're personally impacted by. I know I don't care about east coast locations, and east-coaster's don't particularly care about Colorado.

However, I also think it's fair to note that the charging situation has changed dramatically since a lot of the RAN goals were established. It hasn't been thoroughly discussed by management recently as far as I'm aware.

For better or worse, here's what I speculate is going on behind the scenes:

1. I think the NACS rollout was much more complex and expensive behind-the-scenes than outsiders give credit for. I'm exceptionally glad we're on track to get access to the Tesla network, as this is WAY more valuable than a higher number of Q1 RAN locations. As Rivian is capital constrained, I suspect the expense for the NACS rollout came from the RAN budget. If so, I think this was a good tradeoff. Funds aren't unlimited.

2. The RAN plans were revealed before NEVI was a thing, and way before anyone thought NACS would happen. The entire map of charging network growth/priorities has shifted. Some of the originally planned RAN stations may not make sense with growing coverage from other networks, while there are other holes in the charging map that have a much greater need to fill in (ahem.. Wyoming and South Utah). Permits for these sites may not exist yet, and that can be a multi-year process.

3. Rivian is working out how to integrate NACS connectors into RAN locations. There may be underlying changes to the chargers needed to make it work. They may be slowing spend until they have a better idea of what this will look like. They probably don't want to put excessive expenses into chargers that need to be retrofitted in a year.

4. I've heard mention of an industry-wide shortage of transformers that is impacting DCFC installations.

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

The next meeting for the RAN station in Hailey, Idaho (Sun Valley) is tonight. When looking at the meeting minutes, the document references "RAN 1.5 CCS Dispenser Product." The cable looks longer and the screen is on the side.
The Hailey, Idaho (Sun Valley) RAN charging location was conditionally approved by the Hailey planning and zoning commission this evening pending Rivian installs a rock or something for us to sit on and picnic while we charge.

From a technical perspective, in addition to the new dispenser style with longer cables, it was nice to see 8 dispensers split in pairs.

Can’t wait for it to be added to the map.

agame32

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
The Hailey, Idaho (Sun Valley) RAN charging location was conditionally approved by the Hailey planning and zoning commission this evening pending Rivian installs a rock or something for us to sit on and picnic while we charge.

From a technical perspective, in addition to the new dispenser style with longer cables, it was nice to see 8 dispensers split in pairs.

Can’t wait for it to be added to the map.
A *rock* was part of the city’s bargaining?!? I wish my city was that chill about new things! A rock??? Boom, done, you’ll get a rock…

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

A *rock* was part of the city’s bargaining?!? I wish my city was that chill about new things! A rock??? Boom, done, you’ll get a rock…
I have been following this install closely as it’s close to home. It took at least 3 planning and zoning commission meetings to get it pushed through.

The city insisted Rivian add much nicer landscaping that was irrigated, Rivian had multiple rounds with a landscape architect. Complex discussions around snow storage… the snow storage area should also be a picnic area or bench seating in the summer. What about bags for people walking their dogs? Maybe folks from the farmer’s market will use it? Garbage can discussion, height of charging equipment discussions… are we sure this is the right fencing?

All the back and forth and demands made it more clear why there are RAN chargers in the back of mall parking lots.

And funny enough, Rivian tried to push back on the rock.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

I have been following this install closely as it’s close to home. It took at least 3 planning and zoning commission meetings to get it pushed through.

The city insisted Rivian add much nicer landscaping that was irrigated, Rivian had multiple rounds with a landscape architect. Complex discussions around snow storage… the snow storage area should also be a picnic area or bench seating in the summer. What about bags for people walking their dogs? Maybe folks from the farmer’s market will use it? Garbage can discussion, height of charging equipment discussions… are we sure this is the right fencing?

All the back and forth and demands made it more clear why there are RAN chargers in the back of mall parking lots.

And funny enough, Rivian tried to push back on the rock.
I'm laughing at the overdramatized version in my head. "We're no budging on the rock issue!"
Sponsored