Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The link returns a not-too-useful error and I cannot determine what you were searching from the URL.
1679339551306.png
Strange. Based on when this was trademarked, it would seem this was something they planned on doing for a while.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Elevation audio system - in house design change began February 2023? 1679339662849

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Well, traditionally... lower trim levels get the "GM/Ford" audio system and the "Premium Trim" levels get the name brand audio. Rivian want's to be a "Premium" brand... while using in-house brand components. We'll see how that works out for them...
I think there were variations on that, too. I seem to recall some systems branded as Bose, Engineered by Bose, or similar on the head unit where the manufacturer used their own speakers and Bose did something with equalizer settings and/or processing to wring better sound out of them. Replacing the stock speakers with aftermarket speakers could make a significant difference. Other systems actually had Bose or whatever brand on the speaker grills and those had drivers supplied by the audio brand rather than the manufacturer’s parts bin.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Strange. Based on when this was trademarked, it would seem this was something they planned on doing for a while.
1679339662849.png
Thanks!

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Interesting. Definitely more vertical integration and control over signal processing... however, unless they manufacture the components themselves, supply constrain will still be a bottleneck. But, at least this is one less middleman. Rear speakers mostly serve fill function, so I'm not too concerned about sound quality.

e time my order is fulfilled next year, the camp speaker is probably an optional extra, the wood trim is now plastic and the front trunk is manual opening...
And you have ALL that time to cancel. Very convenient.

Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
What's next, remove the audio system completely and have 2 Camp speakers on the dash setup in stereo?
Not gonna lie, while the Rivian audio system is much better than average vehicles, it didn't "wow" me. But that damn camp speaker wows me everytime I use it for music while working in the garage, that small speaker puts out very good quality sounding music for such a small device.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Not gonna lie, while the Rivian audio system is much better than average vehicles, it didn't "wow" me. But that damn camp speaker wows me everytime I use it for music while working in the garage, that small speaker puts out very good quality sounding music for such a small device.
There must be something wrong with my camp speaker because it's a pile of shit. Low volume and doesn't sound well at all. We have a Sonos Move that goes around the house with us, if we're in a room that doesn't have other Sonos speakers.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Mine should be a February build date. Guess I'll see when I get it...s00n.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Tesla in-house audio is great! Better than Bose or Bang Olufsen I’ve had in other cars
The tesla goodnes mostly comes from excellent DSP. A fried is an engineer at pedal, his company car runs prerelease soutward. One day the audio went to shit…apparently the DSP calibration was changed 😅

Sponsored

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Generally, premium cars have premium audio systems with more speakers, not less, allowing each speaker to specialize. Not a great direction to be heading in. That said, Tesla manages to do a great job without paying for anybody’s name. Mainly though spatial audio processing on their verb overkill CPU. Rivian’s isn’t nearly as good.

kewlasu

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LA Silver Adventure Large Pack 21"
Clubs

I thought the discontinued 'Explore' trim supposed to have this one instead of the Meridian sound system?

bgoldber88

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T LE, 2021 BMW X3 PHEV
Occupation
Engineer
Pretty disappointing news. I just configured a few days ago and had heard good things about the Meridian system. I'm not an audiophile, so hopefully the sound system will still be good. However, its a bummer to pay the same price for less. The 12V change doesn't impact me, so I didn't mind, but this change impacts something almost every driver is probably interested in, including myself.

That being said, this is going on throughout the industry, unfortunately. I've been mulling a handful of vehicles for a number of years, but haven't bought anything due to the pandemic impacting what's available. I was watching the BMW X5 and X7 for years and both those vehicles have had serious downgrades in standard equipment and available options. There were long periods over the past few years where you couldn't even get Bose on an X5 and the base sound system in the X5 is truly atrocious, with no aftermarket options really worth noting. And of course, everybody knows the Tesla changes. They didn't tweak their sound system (that I know of) but they removed or modified features that seem very critical to me, such as radar, while raising prices.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

This is all good and great and I’m all for bringing costs down as a shareholder and this could end up resulting in a better overall user….where the 🤬🤬🤬 is the redesigned tonneau cover???
Sponsored