Sponsored

Road salt and rust on my Texas R1S ... how ?!

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

If your delivery was in February I guess I’d say I’m not exactly surprised. The amount of salt we use in the Midwest is kind of nuts, and your vehicle could have gotten salt on it simply from driving around the staging lot or from being transported on a truck for any amount of time, especially on a highway.
Sponsored

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 genesis gv70 sport prestige. 13 fiat pop, 22 R1
Occupation
Air traffic controller, retired
Feb 25 delivery at houston service center.

20230615_174234.jpg

20230615_175812.jpg

20230615_175917.jpg
This looks suspiciously like salt water flood damage, or damage after driving in salt water and not cleaning thoroughly afterwards. I lived in south Texas quite often and I did drive on the beach regularly. I could be way off, but that is what my vehicles looked like if I didn't spend a lot of time cleaning the bottom of the truck.

OP
OP

mptx17

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This looks suspiciously like salt water flood damage, or damage after driving in salt water and not cleaning thoroughly afterwards. I lived in south Texas quite often and I did drive on the beach regularly. I could be way off, but that is what my vehicles looked like if I didn't spend a lot of time cleaning the bottom of the truck.
Logical, but despite my intent to do many 'adventurous' things in this vehicle, it so far hasn't been off the pavement. Unless my wife is sneaking out for late night beach parties in Galveston I don't know about...

Ozmt

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 genesis gv70 sport prestige. 13 fiat pop, 22 R1
Occupation
Air traffic controller, retired
Logical, but despite my intent to do many 'adventurous' things in this vehicle, it so far hasn't been off the pavement. Unless my wife is sneaking out for late night beach parties in Galveston I don't know about...
I didn't mean to imply you're driving through salt water. I only meant to say that is what it looks like. It's it possible that while at the Houston sc, there was a small flood that forced salt water up into that area of your rivian? I can't imagine why your truck should be so rusty. Here in Colorado they now use a salt like chemical that leaves a hard crusty surface on everything. Once I get my running boards, I'll remove the panels. I'll cross my fingers that it doesn't look like yours underneath. Btw, not all counties in Colorado use this horrible mixture on the roads. I write often to make them stop. Back in the day, Colorado was a great place to find rusty free cars. Today, it looks like the cars have been in Michigan since new

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Reading this thread is kind of scary for us. We live three houses off the ocean in the Florida Panhandle. Our R1T sits outside in the alley behind our house. Just yesterday, I drilled through the plastic shield with a 4" hole saw to install my 1EV running boards. I got only one hole drilled because it started raining. From what I can see of the body bolt and surrounding area, there does not appear to be any rust or corrosion.

This thread has me rethinking my running board installation plan. I had intended to install rubber grommets in the 4" holes once the running board brackets are in place. Now I am thinking that I will leave the holes open so that moisture and debris can be flushed out. Opinions welcomed.

Brian

Rivian R1T R1S Road salt and rust on my Texas R1S ... how ?! DSC_0030.JPG

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Yikes. Clearly Rivian is still learning how to (and how not to) build vehicles. This kind of stuff worries me.
OTOH, RJ is on record saying that their extended development time (years) was to work through all potential failure points.
Anyone on the forums a mechanical engineer? I am not, but If I was responsible for the "mechanical engineering" parts of the car, I would have disassembled vehicles after 6 months to one year of driving in extreme wet weather, dry hot weather and cold weather (and combos of weather) to see where the problem areas occurred.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Yikes. Clearly Rivian is still learning how to (and how not to) build vehicles. This kind of stuff worries me.
OTOH, RJ is on record saying that their extended development time (years) was to work through all potential failure points.
Anyone on the forums a mechanical engineer? I am not, but If I was responsible for the "mechanical engineering" parts of the car, I would have disassembled vehicles after 6 months to one year of driving in extreme wet weather, dry hot weather and cold weather (and combos of weather) to see where the problem areas occurred.
My neighbor brings home testers all the time. Some are very early models that have been driven by him in death valley and others have gone as far as Alaska. I've had my head under one the trucks when I was looking at the differences in the welded vs cast front subframe. I've never seen rust. Next time I see another truck or R1S with the Michigan MFG plates, I'll peek my head under to see.

On the flip side, most Ford trucks and Chevy tend to have rust on the rear axles assemblies, driveshaft, etc, while still sitting on the dealer lots. I would imagine all the ones that sat for year waiting for computer chips will also have visible rust.

OP
OP

mptx17

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi all, longtime reader of this forum and have learned a ton just lurking, but have encountered an issue I'd appreciate thoughts on. Finally received my weistec rock sliders today (full thoughts on those to come soon, I hope) and proceeded to install. Step 1, remove the plastic shields on both underside. Easy enough but what is all this crud packed in here? Texas boy does not recognize road salt...

Currently stuck on step 2, removing the rails the plastic shields clip in to, because of a rusty screw that spins but won't back out (others were rusty but came out reasonably easy). I'll figure that out tomorrow, but am not happy to see rusty components under my new vehicle. I get the vehicle came from up north but how did a new one have such an accumulation? and is the rust just a sucks-for-me thing? Or an issue to be raised with rivian? Is there even anything corrective to do? Appreciate any opinions.
Update: I'm feeling a bit less concerned today. After finally dislodging the troublesome fastener, removing that bracket, and a good cleaning, the major issues seem to be confined to the cheap metal brackets and fastners. There are definitely some issues on the structure itself, but not near as bad as looked initially. Not perfect, but I was comfortable enough to go ahead with install. Will try to do a post on that soon but quick version is notwithstanding some dodgy instructions the quality of the sliders/steps seems outstanding! Two happy kids can get in much easier now.

Rivian R1T R1S Road salt and rust on my Texas R1S ... how ?! 20230616_191837

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

Update: I'm feeling a bit less concerned today. After finally dislodging the troublesome fastener, removing that bracket, and a good cleaning, the major issues seem to be confined to the cheap metal brackets and fastners. There are definitely some issues on the structure itself, but not near as bad as looked initially. Not perfect, but I was comfortable enough to go ahead with install. Will try to do a post on that soon but quick version is notwithstanding some dodgy instructions the quality of the sliders/steps seems outstanding! Two happy kids can get in much easier now.

20230616_191837.jpg
Very nice looking–and functional!
Sponsored