Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install IMG_1340.JPG
Sponsored

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Yes, but we don't definitively know what the record/retention policy is yet, i.e. we don't know if it will use the full 2TB and cyclically write, or if it only uses 256GB etc.
From the Rivian spotlight story, it will use the full space available:

When you install a USB-C drive and turn Drive Cam on, the Gear Guard cameras can record and save video of entire trips (up to the maximum space available on your external drive).

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

When you install a USB-C drive and turn Drive Cam on, the Gear Guard cameras can record and save video of entire trips (up to the maximum space available on your external drive).
Yep, I did see that, but not until after my post. Glad to hear we get the full volume.

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Once it’s full does it automatically start to overwrite old data?

Sponsored

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Once it’s full does it automatically start to overwrite old data?
According to the manual it will delete the oldest continuous recording if the drive fills up.

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Thanks. So why do some people want so much storage?
It’s not needed for sure. But it’s not a bad idea…
  • Storage is cheap. I could do a 256gb microSD plus reader for $50 or a 1TB SSD for $75.
  • Rivian recommends a SSD (don’t say why) which will be larger capacity.
  • You general don’t regret getting more storage than you need
  • Maybe some feature comes along in the future that makes use of that storage…

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

So with all the new camera footage what’s the YouTube channels name going to be? I mean there’s “WhamBam Tesla cam”. Rivian Rolver?

Will be interesting to see the places people records driving through.
Rivian Reels

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Inse
  • Storage is cheap. I could do a 256gb microSD plus reader for $50 or a 1TB SSD for $75.
  • Maybe some feature comes along in the future that makes use of that storage
  • Maybe some feature comes along in the future that makes use of that storage…
I see. Thank you.

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Thanks. So why do some people want so much storage?
Longevity - the larger the drive the more physical storage cells it has, SSD/Flash storage doesn't die from reads, it does from writes. Every cell has a total number of writes it will accept and then it's done. either firmware on the drives/storage itself, or the OS filesystem (typically a combination) will handle wear-leveling across the cells to maximize the longevity of the device by making sure all the writes are spread across all the cells evenly.

But the easiest/cheapest way to increase the longevity is simply to have MORE cells. As someone wrote earlier - if you buy a 128GB drive and write 1TB to it (not hard with continuous recording) you will have written the entire capacity of the drive (every cell) 10 times. If you bought a 2TB drive, you will have written only 50% of the capacity.

Over a year of usage, the 2TB drive will have seen far fewer total write cycle per cell hence it will last much longer before you start seeing drive errors. Yes, as a side-effect it just holds more data as well, but realistically in a situation where you NEED dashcam/gearguard footage it's unlikely you need to go back 6 months - at most you need past 12-14 hours, so I think a bigger reason is the longevity.

This is a bit simplified of course as the cell design (SLC vs TLC/MLC etc.) matters a lot but is knowingly simplified here for the ease of presentation

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Okay, they arrived - the most compact metal-bodied (for heat dissipation) USB 3.0 Type-C microSD reader I could find online, plus a Western Digital Purple high-endurance 1 TB microSD card. (More size means even better longevity, since 50 TB of usage is only 50x, not nearly 500x like would be on a 128 GB drive, the Purple series also is rated for a wider operating temperature range -25°C to 85°C.) The truck insisted I format it FAT32 instead of ExFAT, but that isn't a big deal.

I ran a speed test on it in that reader, and got 65 MB/s write, 85 MB/s read (165 MB/s read in my fast reader.) I left that running for an hour, and the reader was "quite warm", but not too hot to touch. That should be fine in the truck, since I doubt (hopefully) it won't write at a constant 65 MB/s.

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install IMG_3027

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install IMG_3028

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your dashcam memory card install IMG_3029

Last edited:

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

SanDisk 256GB MAX ENDURANCE has a 15yr warranty and 120,000 hours write capability. That's rated at over 13 years of full-time writing. It also has an operational temperature of up to 185 degrees Fahrenheit.

For those buying an SSD. Why do you need more than 256 GB? Read/write longevity is not the answer when you can get a cheaper SD card with 13 years of guarantee. Are you trying to document your entire life's worth of driving?

Sandisk Extreme portable SSD mentioned on this thread has a max operating temperature of 113 degrees Fahrenheit. Drive out of the parking lot, get rear ended, and you want to trust a baking hot SSD at 130+ degrees to record that incident? Not to mention premature wear on the flash memory from that operating temperature. For something so critical that you trust to record an accident, I'd want to use a drive that I can operate within its limits.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Am I the only one having this issue? My 256GB SanDisk Micro SD card is recording the DriveCam videos fine on all four cameras (R1S). However, I can only view them on my computer. There are no Drive Cam videos available to watch on the screen of the Rivian. (Card was successfully formatted in the Rivian screen and connects no problem). I've done a soft reboot as well. Same thing. I assume you should be able to view the Drive Cam videos on the screen?
Sponsored