Sponsored

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
I'm on my 2nd one of these but 128GB and am failing the speed test on both. Guessing a bad batch or counterfeit.
In case anyone else comes across this post.....
Did a soft reset of the infotainment (2 outside steering wheel buttons) and got the drive to work.

gadgetfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I tried 3 different drives, soft resets etc. then tried a hard reset and now I lost GPS, data, sos. I've been otp with support and no fix yet. so dont do a hard reset!

USMCGRUNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Question about the different modes...I see that there are people using the USB-C flash drives, and then some using the SSD drives as well.

Why do you use one or both? Do you keep the motion cameras on at all times and it eats up the storage space? I am just a little confused on what gear guard recording options you should have on.

pickupman2022

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Fleet Support
Question about the different modes...I see that there are people using the USB-C flash drives, and then some using the SSD drives as well.

Why do you use one or both? Do you keep the motion cameras on at all times and it eats up the storage space? I am just a little confused on what gear guard recording options you should have on.
The drive cam feature (dash cam) records continuously while driving and therefore needs the external storage. The Gear Guard motion and alarm clips as well as incidents (hard barking and collisions) recored to internal storage. As for what type of storage, that is up to you. I personally have been using a flash drive without issues, but I believe the SSDs have better temp ratings.

Sponsored

USMCGRUNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
The drive cam feature (dash cam) records continuously while driving and therefore needs the external storage. The Gear Guard motion and alarm clips as well as incidents (hard barking and collisions) recored to internal storage. As for what type of storage, that is up to you. I personally have been using a flash drive without issues, but I believe the SSDs have better temp ratings.
Awesome, thank you! That makes sense. I appreciate you explaining this.

sakugo

First Name
Sameer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Using these two devices. Still haven’t figured it out yet.
0F14115B-6531-4A3B-9160-F90D23B89943.png
2C3312CC-3BCF-44BA-880E-AFBC4A4AF1A2.png
I am using the same setup with an Anker card reader and SanDisk Max Endurance 256 GB with a right angle adapter, but I can't get it to work. I thought it was a bad reader, so I replaced it and I still can't get it to work. Is anyone able to get the Anker to work? I will try getting a different reader, but wanted to see if I can somehow use the one I already have.

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I am using the same setup with an Anker card reader and SanDisk Max Endurance 256 GB with a right angle adapter, but I can't get it to work. I thought it was a bad reader, so I replaced it and I still can't get it to work. Is anyone able to get the Anker to work? I will try getting a different reader, but wanted to see if I can somehow use the one I already have.
Can you confirm functionality of the setup on a different product? connect to your phone or computer and see if you can read the card?

sakugo

First Name
Sameer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Can you confirm functionality of the setup on a different product? connect to your phone or computer and see if you can read the card?
I was able to read the card when I connected it to my Mac. Not sure why, but Anker just doesn't seem to work with my R1S. I tried removing the right angle adapter and plug in just the card reader, but it still doesn't recognize it. I will post an update after I get a different card reader.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
after multiple attempts using multiple different cables, trying both USB ports, always failing on the speed test step, I tried the infotainment/soft reset suggested by others. Worked.
(Using SanDisk Extreme 1TB)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GTXVG9P?th=1

Sponsored

parkplace

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Builder
after multiple attempts using multiple different cables, trying both USB ports, always failing on the speed test step, I tried the infotainment/soft reset suggested by others. Worked.
(Using SanDisk Extreme 1TB)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GTXVG9P?th=1
That is what I just bought today! Love it so far. And Costco has it on sale for 79.99.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
FWIW- I pulled my working Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB micro-SD card this afternoon to add a movie to the "Starred" folder for a test.
My test failed because I wasn't on the latest vehicle update. Once I updated the OS and reinserted my SD card in it's holder a message came up saying something like "setting up drive" and then "testing speed" which promptly failed with a message of "device too slow".

I've been using this particular SD card in this holder for over a year now on my R1T and used the same card/holder in my Model Y of a year without issue. Now it's suddenly "too slow"?

At any rate, I brought the card inside and loaded it in to my PC. Upon examination there was a "benchmark.log" text file in the root directory of the SD card. When I opened it with Notepad there was just two words in the file "very slow". I then inserted a very fast/expensive USB-C flash drive in the Rivian and successfully set it up as my drive cam storage device. I then pulled that drive out and looked at it's "benchmark.log" file and it had one word in the file "READY".

So I then edited the file in the non-working SD card to say "READY" instead of "very slow", inserted it in my Rivian and it was once again working flawlessly like it had for the previous year.

So, if you had a drive that previously worked, but suddenly doesn't- pull it and take a look at the "benchmark.log" file in the root directory of the drive and if it says anything other then "READY" change it to that, reinsert it and see if it now works again.

Last edited:

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I'm using a Western Digital Purple (High Endurance/temperature-tolerant) 1 TB microSD card in a cheap Amazon tiny metal microSD-to-USB-C adapter. It gets *HOT*, but it's been running fine for about a year now. Including spending a month in Arizona in 90+ degree heat, including parked in the sun with GearGuard on, so it was in use. With one caveat.

Last week, it suddenly stopped recording. It would just give errors trying to record. I could view footage no problem. I plugged it in to my computer, and copied over the full 1 TB of stored data no problem. Thinking it might have been a card corruption problem, I used the official SD Association's "SD Card Formatter" utility to do a full reformat. No errors. Of course, that formats in ExFAT, and the Rivian wants FAT32, so I let the Rivian reformat it. Then…. it failed the speed test.

I plugged it back into my computer and ran a disk speed test. It tested at 70 MBps write, which should be plenty fast. I grabbed a USB-C flash drive that speed tests 50 Mbps write. The Rivian was perfectly happy to use it. I reformatted and retested the microSD card in the Rivian again - failed speed test. WTF?

So I just copied over the "Rivian speed check passed" file from the *SLOWER* drive to the microSD card, and it has been working fine.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
So I just copied over the "Rivian speed check passed" file from the *SLOWER* drive to the microSD card, and it has been working fine.
Amazing right?

I just edited the "benchmark.log" file to say "READY" instead of "very slow" and the drive started working again.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
FWIW- I pulled my working Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB micro-SD card this afternoon to add a movie to the "Starred" folder for a test.
My test failed because I wasn't on the latest vehicle update. Once I updated the OS and reinserted my SD card in it's holder a message came up saying something like "setting up drive" and then "testing speed" which promptly failed with a message of "device too slow".

I've been using this particular SD card in this holder for over a year now on my R1T and used the same card/holder in my Model Y of a year without issue. Now it's suddenly "too slow"?

At any rate, I brought the card inside and loaded it in to my PC. Upon examination there was a "benchmark.log" text file in the root directory of the SD card. When I opened it with Notepad there was just two words in the file "very slow". I then inserted a very fast/expensive USB-C flash drive in the Rivian and successfully set it up as my drive cam storage device. I then pulled that drive out and looked at it's "benchmark.log" file and it had one word in the file "READY".

So I then edited the file in the non-working SD card to say "READY" instead of "very slow", inserted it in my Rivian and it was once again working flawlessly like it had for the previous year.

So, if you had a drive that previously worked, but suddenly doesn't- pull it and take a look at the "benchmark.log" file in the root directory of the drive and if it says anything other then "READY" change it to that, reinsert it and see if it now works again.
Flash devices will definitely slow down with repeated use. The flash memory is continuously written to every time you drive..... over and over. The device controllers of many better flash cards will replace worn areas of memory with reserve areas of memory, but by the time this starts to happen the card is on its way out. I have seen this with looping ECG recorders I helped design and build. I have also had this happen to many SD cards in my video recorders over the years. You are tempting fate, as you may not get a video when you really need it.

Also, not all flash memory is the same. Don't expect an SD card to have the same number of write cycles as a quality SSD.
Sponsored