Sponsored

Tesla tap mini 60 or 80

mmcool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I have tesla wall charger and I would be getting r1s next week. I am planning to use tesla wall charger as I already have that. For adapter I was reading tesla tap mini is the best option. I am not clear if I would 60 or 80?
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have tesla wall charger and I would be getting r1s next week. I am planning to use tesla wall charger as I already have that. For adapter I was reading tesla tap mini is the best option. I am not clear if I would 60 or 80?
If you're just charging the Rivian, you would use the 60. If you want to future proof yourself for vehicle's with bigger on board chargers, you could go with the 80. Examples of vehicle that need the 80 are Ford and GM pick up EVs.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

And “need” is doing a lot of work there. Very few Tesla Destination Chargers even support 80 Amps, as Tesla discontinued the 80 Amp version years ago. Plus, The Ford and GM pickups don’t require 80 Amps, it’s that they’re capable of it.

OP, unless your Wall Connector is a very old 80 Amp “Tesla High-Power Wall Connector” and it’s on a 100 Amp circuit and you expect to get an 80 Amp-capable vehicle in the future, AND you think you’ll actually have need to charge at 80 Amps regularly, I wouldn’t worry about getting the 80A TeslaTap.

Even a Hummer EV will add over 200 miles of range overnight on 60 Amps. So unless you’ll be using a hugely inefficient EV and needing to drive it a ridiculous number of miles each day only charging at home, >60A will be kind of irrelevant.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I was debating between the 48 amp Lectron or 80 amp A2Z for similar price after "Riv" coupon code.

TeslaTap 80 was overkill for my use and that's why I decided to save the money and still get 80 amp A2Z for futureproofing.

Anything is better than using the trickle charge 110v.

Tesla To J1772 | Up to 80A | 20kW | 12 Months Warranty

Rivian R1T R1S Tesla tap mini 60 or 80 1711122289325-bs

Last edited:

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
I’m currently using a TeslaTap 60amp with my Tesla Wall Connector to charge my R1S and it works well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mmcool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Thanks looks like 60 is the way to go. Is there a promo code?

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
Not that I’m aware of.

solaskaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X,3, R1T Duo Max
For what it's worth -- I've had the Tesla UWC for about 3 months .... of hell. firmware bugs left and right. I think they finally ironed it out now, so I can finally say: the smoothness of the connector is highly recommended. Far better than adapters, which, mostly due to their weatherproofing, are somewhat hard to plug in and out on a daily basis, at least on the Rivian.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
@mmcool: My rationale for buying the full size 80 amp wasn't just future-proofing.

I don't want my adapter to ever be the "weak link" between a charger that is willing to deliver more power and a vehicle that is willing to accept it.

I believe Rivians will reset to a default of 48 amps if they are reset for any reason. So this concern is academic at this time. But still worth remembering.

If the extra money for 80 amps adds even a little extra protection for my R1 and my home, it's worth it to me.

I don't know a promo code for TeslaTap. Consider calling the company. They are very responsive and seem straightforward about everything.

Very best wishes!

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
unless your Wall Connector is a very old 80 Amp “Tesla High-Power Wall Connector” and it’s on a 100 Amp circuit and you expect to get an 80 Amp-capable vehicle in the future, AND you think you’ll actually have need to charge at 80 Amps regularly, I wouldn’t worry about getting the 80A TeslaTap.
and you expect buy that 80amp vehicle in the next 12-18 months before everyone has switched to NACS.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
And “need” is doing a lot of work there. Very few Tesla Destination Chargers even support 80 Amps, as Tesla discontinued the 80 Amp version years ago. Plus, The Ford and GM pickups don’t require 80 Amps, it’s that they’re capable of it.

OP, unless your Wall Connector is a very old 80 Amp “Tesla High-Power Wall Connector” and it’s on a 100 Amp circuit and you expect to get an 80 Amp-capable vehicle in the future, AND you think you’ll actually have need to charge at 80 Amps regularly, I wouldn’t worry about getting the 80A TeslaTap.

Even a Hummer EV will add over 200 miles of range overnight on 60 Amps. So unless you’ll be using a hugely inefficient EV and needing to drive it a ridiculous number of miles each day only charging at home, >60A will be kind of irrelevant.
This is all true. I did have two cases last year (one at a hotel and one in a garage) that had an 80A Tesla charger... The truck self-limits to 48A so it wasn't a problem. Very convenient.

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

I have a ten year old 80a Tesla wall connector on a 100a circuit, so even though the R1S can only take 48a I figured it was worth the extra $ for the Teslatap Mini 80 so two friends with Lightnings could charge faster if/when they visit.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
in the next 12-18 months before everyone has switched to NACS
Have ANY manufactures announced a specific model that will ship with a native NACS in the next 12-18 months? The R2 will have native NACS, but that's two years off still.

I mean, sure, the generic announcement that everyone issued last year said "starting in 2025", but things have changed, many manufacturers have put some of their EV pans on hold, and still only a handful of EVs can even access the Tesla superchargers yet, and only with an unofficial adapter. It's going to be a slow transition.

So is it really realistic to think you could buy a new vehicle (other than Tesla) in the next 12-18 months that has an NACS port?

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Have ANY manufactures announced a specific model that will ship with a native NACS in the next 12-18 months? The R2 will have native NACS, but that's two years off still.

I mean, sure, the generic announcement that everyone issued last year said "starting in 2025", but things have changed, many manufacturers have put some of their EV pans on hold, and still only a handful of EVs can even access the Tesla superchargers yet, and only with an unofficial adapter. It's going to be a slow transition.

So is it really realistic to think you could buy a new vehicle (other than Tesla) in the next 12-18 months that has an NACS port?
I don't think everyone has published specs for their 2025 model year offerings yet. (have any of the traditional automakers published specs on their full 2025 lineup yet?) So I would not interpret the lack of details on 2026 model year offerings to indicate that nothing is in the pipeline.

NACS probably won't have 100% market share at the end of 2025, but it is going to be more than just Tesla. While I will not be surprised if any particular company misses the mark, I'll be very surprised if they all do.
Sponsored