First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I hope the A2Z adapter doesn't have the same flaw.

I ALWAYS stop the charging inside the vehicle, and wait to disconnect the CCS cable regardless of the DCFC brand. Too many things can go wrong by relying on the button on the adapter, I don't care who makes it.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Based on the ford rollout I think they’re sending out roughly 1000 in each shipping batch. Ford is using the exact same adapter supplied by Tesla that Rivian will be using
Yes, that is correct, my Ford order is 1091, and no shipment yet, still indicates April delivery. First shipments were two weeks ago, now radio silence.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Lectron has reached out to me following the review - I’ve asked for a comment on the defect and their plan going forward.
They are going to have to do a recall on these right?

Glad I went with A2Z.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus

I ALWAYS stop the charging inside the vehicle, and wait to disconnect the CCS cable regardless of the DCFC brand. Too many things can go wrong by relying on the button on the adapter, I don't care who makes it.
It doesn’t. While less ergonomic, once the slide lock is engaged it is locked. Watch State of Charge review on both. There is too much trepidation being passed around out of unfamiliarity.

If user fails to engage the slide lock, that’d be user error not design/manufacturing flaw.

Last edited:

Flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, F150 Lightning Platinum
That is a very valid point.
In my post I did indeed showed too much trust to A2ZEV with my wording, I realize that now.

In this very specific case if the latch locking mechanism (pull test?) is not tested then of course testing all manufactured unit will not help to catch this specific issue.
I would say A2Z likely has a similar issue here. The locking mechanism seems to require the user to engage it vs disengage to remove. I have yet to get the A2Z connector to actually lock, but I have not tried to unplug it while in use, so hopefully I am missing something.

I will say it has been a huge pain to use overall. I have not tried it on the Rivian, but on my F150 Lightning, I find I have to lean into it to hold it in until charging starts. if I do not keep constant pressure, it will end up with a charge fault. I am not sure if it is a device issue, a Ford issue or a Tesla issue. I would believe it is actually a device/Ford issue. I say this because of the many posts I see online referring to Tesla Chargers not working. I have seen several times, a Tesla pull away from a successful charge, then I try on the same device with a fault occurring.

Not at all scientific, but random observation. I can tell you the number of faulty Tesla sessions on my Model Y and Model S combined are less than the total number of issues on my last short roadtrip with my F150 on CCS, and only slightly higher than me trying to use the adapter this weekend at a supercharger.

Definitely not saying the Tesla network is perfect by any means, nor should it be the only solution, but I think the issue may actually be in the handshake with CCS and the tolerance in the port on many of these vehicles as plugs/ports get heavily used.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I am in no hurry. We will get the free adapter when they send it. I did get the email last week asking for me to reserve it. I would expect to get our in the summer time since we didn't get our R1T until last May 2023.

We have and LOVE our Lectron 32a charger. We have been using it for almost 3 years on our Rav4 Prime. It has been outside 24/7 - 365 in direct sunlight, rain, freezing temps.....and it has worked amazing. We have been using it on our R1T for almost a year now as well.

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
Based on the ford rollout I think they’re sending out roughly 1000 in each shipping batch. Ford is using the exact same adapter supplied by Tesla that Rivian will be using
Based on that number since my VIN is a 2022 in the 14k range, it would take 3+ months for me to get one (14 weeks). Yikes, by that time summer road trip season will be over. I hope it is faster than that.

Sponsored

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If I understood correctly this issue is for a certain number of adapters, not all of them.
Probably what happened that in the rush some latches got installed reverse.
And maybe Lectron does not test each individual adapters made but some randomly (normal QA).

What is interesting that if I understood @A2ZEV's posts A2ZEV does test each manufactured unit individually (and that is why they are relatively slow to send out the big amount of orders). This might be a winning difference between Lectron and A2Z adapters.

I based it on this post:

1713186496110-nn.png
@A2ZEV does go above and beyond. Amine from their team called and followed up via text to ensure he is available to help next time I'm at a supercharger (to my earlier post where I couldn't get it to work so far).

Getting a good product is one, but backing it via follow up is a guarantee that they want to stand behind their product.

That itself is worth it's price.

[Standard disclaimer: I don't work nor do I know anyone personally at A2ZEV. Just a customer]

MtnRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
I would say A2Z likely has a similar issue here. The locking mechanism seems to require the user to engage it vs disengage to remove. I have yet to get the A2Z connector to actually lock, but I have not tried to unplug it while in use, so hopefully I am missing something.

I will say it has been a huge pain to use overall. I have not tried it on the Rivian, but on my F150 Lightning, I find I have to lean into it to hold it in until charging starts. if I do not keep constant pressure, it will end up with a charge fault. I am not sure if it is a device issue, a Ford issue or a Tesla issue. I would believe it is actually a device/Ford issue. I say this because of the many posts I see online referring to Tesla Chargers not working. I have seen several times, a Tesla pull away from a successful charge, then I try on the same device with a fault occurring.

Not at all scientific, but random observation. I can tell you the number of faulty Tesla sessions on my Model Y and Model S combined are less than the total number of issues on my last short roadtrip with my F150 on CCS, and only slightly higher than me trying to use the adapter this weekend at a supercharger.

Definitely not saying the Tesla network is perfect by any means, nor should it be the only solution, but I think the issue may actually be in the handshake with CCS and the tolerance in the port on many of these vehicles as plugs/ports get heavily used.
Interesting. I have had no issues whatsoever engaging the A2Z lock. It also will not charge unless it is locked and will immediately stop charging if it unlocks. Maybe call A/Z and get a new adapter? I definitely wouldn’t charge if you have to push it in your vehicle to get it to engage. It is common in all manufacturing to have a small percent of defective products. Your adapter may be one of them?

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

As I learned the hard way, if that switch is not fully engaged and locked (PIA until switch loosened up a bit)
I had same issue with my A2Z unit. The switch had to get "conditioned" (a bit of on and off) and used a couple of times until I got the actual lock and unlock "click". Previously I never felt that discrete lock and unlock feel on the adapter.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We are fortunate in that we don't have any big trips planned with Opal (our R1T) in the near future. We are hopeful that we receive one of the adapters by the end of the summer.

Brian

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
400vdc can cause quite an arc flash depending on the upstream fuse timing. This is a major safety issue.
Sponsored