Sponsored

What are the legal and financial issues involved with using non-approved adapter and it causes damage?

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

In case the *hit hits the fan when charging with the "Non-approved" adapters and it causes damage to my car, supercharger, or even other cars, who covers damage?

Is my car covered by my car's insurance?
Is the supercharger/fast charger's insurance going to cover it, like how vandalism is covered?

Just asking for a friend... =)
Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

How about you just dont do it and wait for the adapter that is being sent to us? No legal concerns, no insurance claims. Just sayin!

OP
OP

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

How about you just dont do it and wait for the adapter that is being sent to us? No legal concerns, no insurance claims. Just sayin!
Well, my friend would like to charge up at the same location as my friend's friend during the summer road trips. Just trying to gauge the risk.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Well, my friend would like to charge up at the same location as my friend's friend during the summer road trips. Just trying to gauge the risk.
I just look at it like this, if you use something that isn't authorized and you know it, you have now put your vehicle is possible jeopardy and out of warranty due to frying the electrical system.

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
I would imagine it simply the case that if you use 3rd party adapter (I will be doing this, ordered the A2Z) and it is faulty and causes damage that's not Rivians fault, same as any other products you use.

Sticking with Lectron or A2Z is safest option as they are both considered reliable and legit versus Amazon roulette.

Sponsored

OP
OP

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I just look at it like this, if you use something that isn't authorized and you know it, you have now put your vehicle is possible jeopardy and out of warranty due to frying the electrical system.
Warranty is one thing, but what is the general stance of insurance companies? Can insurance companies deny me a claim on comprehensive?

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Warranty is one thing, but what is the general stance of insurance companies? Can insurance companies deny me a claim on comprehensive?
They can if Rivian can show that you we warned and told not to do so.

OP
OP

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

They can if Rivian can show that you we warned and told not to do so.
Is this the same for other things like random 3rd party roof racks, or changing out suspensions/tires/running boards?

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Is this the same for other things like random 3rd party roof racks, or changing out suspensions/tires/running boards?
Correct. Ask Rivian how they feel about running boards.......

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes they can but they have to be able to show that the accessory caused the problem.

For example they can't say that your rear motor failed because you had a roof rack.

Sponsored

OP
OP

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I know Rivian's stance. Just wondering about my car insurance's stance. Is this covered under some type of "Fair use"-like law, or right to repair type of law? Seems anti-consumer to say that a certain brand's equipment is allowed or OEM only.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

They told me to make sure I used TP+55 and not TP55 to remove the OEM bolts...

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I know Rivian's stance. Just wondering about my car insurance's stance. Is this covered under some type of "Fair use"-like law, or right to repair type of law? Seems anti-consumer to say that a certain brand's equipment is allowed or OEM only.
I am not a insurance agent - so it would better to ask them directly. No one on the forum can accurately tell you what your insurance company will or wont do, unless your insurance agent is a Rivian owner.

OP
OP

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I am not a insurance agent - so it would better to ask them directly. No one on the forum can accurately tell you what your insurance company will or wont do, unless your insurance agent is a Rivian owner.
Perhaps my next question will be "What responses did everyone get from their insurance agent or lawyer..." However, I don't have the latter easily accessible and free and google searching this hasn't been fruitful.

Thanks to everyone that has some insight, even if it's unofficial lawyer/agent advice.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs