Sponsored

What are the legal and financial issues involved with using non-approved adapter and it causes damage?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Legally, you will find yourself in a situation with a lot of finger pointing that will probably take quite some time to sort itself out. Even if it works out in your favor, would it be worth the multi-year hassle? Or potentially having to involve a lawyer of your own? Or the risk of having your policy dropped (or not renewed)?
Sponsored

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

Yes they can but they have to be able to show that the accessory caused the problem.

For example they can't say that your rear motor failed because you had a roof rack.
If everything is melty and/or on fire, it's going to be hard to NOT point to a third party adapter. If Rivian can show they haven't shipped your adapter out yet, it would be easy to get a judgement against you for not using a Rivian-approved adapter.

Reverse this for a bit and if you DID have your official Rivian-supplied adapter, it would be rather easy for you to show you received it from the emails and tracking number showing it was delivered to you.

A2Z and Lectron MIGHT have the same gauge conductors that are used by the Tesla adapter. They also MIGHT have the same or better plastics used to hold everything together. But even if they are completely the same specs and there's a faulty connection on the Supercharger side, it would be difficult to prove it wasn't the 3rd-party adapter.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I would imagine it simply the case that if you use 3rd party adapter (I will be doing this, ordered the A2Z) and it is faulty and causes damage that's not Rivians fault, same as any other products you use.

Sticking with Lectron or A2Z is safest option as they are both considered reliable and legit versus Amazon roulette.
Go after the company that produced the 3rd party adapter? There are a lot of safeguards to prevent any serious damage from occurring. Lectron and A2Z are probably fine but other unknown devices I wouldn't trust.

OP
OP

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Very new to EVs, but are the Lectron and A2Z adapters for Teslas to charge on CCS approved for usage on EA, EVGo, etc? The official stance show in this State of Charge video seems to state "manufactured by automakers" only.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If everything is melty and/or on fire, it's going to be hard to NOT point to a third party adapter. If Rivian can show they haven't shipped your adapter out yet, it would be easy to get a judgement against you for not using a Rivian-approved adapter.

Reverse this for a bit and if you DID have your official Rivian-supplied adapter, it would be rather easy for you to show you received it from the emails and tracking number showing it was delivered to you.

A2Z and Lectron MIGHT have the same gauge conductors that are used by the Tesla adapter. They also MIGHT have the same or better plastics used to hold everything together. But even if they are completely the same specs and there's a faulty connection on the Supercharger side, it would be difficult to prove it wasn't the 3rd-party adapter.
Please observe context... My comment was in regards to " random 3rd party roof racks, or changing out suspensions/tires/running boards "

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I am not a insurance agent - so it would better to ask them directly. No one on the forum can accurately tell you what your insurance company will or wont do, unless your insurance agent is a Rivian owner.
In my experience, asking your insurance agent a question like this often compares in quality to the information Rivian guides offer Rivian customers on all sorts of issues.

In fact, I've had two Rivian Nationwide reps tell me different things in response to the same (written) question. Some agents read and understand policies better than others.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
And I will bet that somewhere in the terms of the sale to you of a third party manufacturers adapter they state that they are only liable for the actual cost of the adapter should there be a fault/ failure of the device whether they are found negligent or not as to the actual cause of the event.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Warranty is one thing, but what is the general stance of insurance companies? Can insurance companies deny me a claim on comprehensive?
Your insurance company will try to go after the third-party vendor, who has made a claim that their adapter is safe and certified/approved, to cover the cost of the repair.

I personally don't want or need the hassle of having to deal with that experience, but maybe it wouldn't bother you.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

And I will bet that somewhere in the terms of the sale to you of a third party manufacturers adapter they state that they are only liable for the actual cost of the adapter should there be a fault/ failure of the device whether they are found negligent or not as to the actual cause of the event.
I am sure you are right but that doesn't mean they wouldn't still be found liable in court if they were in fact negligent.

Sponsored

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
Go after the company that produced the 3rd party adapter? There are a lot of safeguards to prevent any serious damage from occurring. Lectron and A2Z are probably fine but other unknown devices I wouldn't trust.
I wasn't saying that at all, just pointing out it it's at your own risk.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I wasn't saying that at all, just pointing out it it's at your own risk.
I apologize I wasn't implying you said that....I was saying that if damage occurs and one can prove it was due to a faulty adapter then the 3rd party adapter manufacturer should be responsible. Lectron and A2Z are reputable outfits vs some of these other unknown adapter makers that are sure ot come out of the woodwork.

I am going to try them out but rest assured I will have my IR thermometer with me and will be taking reading frequently to see where things are. They are rated for 500 amps which is the max the Rivian can take on a DCFC.

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

Very new to EVs, but are the Lectron and A2Z adapters for Teslas to charge on CCS approved for usage on EA, EVGo, etc? The official stance show in this State of Charge video seems to state "manufactured by automakers" only.

From EVGo:

Rivian R1T R1S What are the legal and financial issues involved with using non-approved adapter and it causes damage? 1711561611273-ii

From EA:

Rivian R1T R1S What are the legal and financial issues involved with using non-approved adapter and it causes damage? 1711561753206-8x

TLDR; Non-vehicle manufacturer-supplied adapters are prohibited and they will sue the fck out of you, if you cause damage with them. If you used the auto manufacturer's adapter, they will go after that manufacturer for compensation.

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

I apologize I wasn't implying you said that....I was saying that if damage occurs and one can prove it was due to a faulty adapter then the 3rd party adapter manufacturer should be responsible. Lectron and A2Z are reputable outfits vs some of these other unknown adapter makers that are sure ot come out of the woodwork.

I am going to try them out but rest assured I will have my IR thermometer with me and will be taking reading frequently to see where things are. They are rated for 500 amps which is the max the Rivian can take on a DCFC.
Their ToS indicated the user will be held responsible. The user is free to sue the 3rd party manufacturer, as well.

I would not use a Lectron or A2Z adapter, even it was free to me.