Sponsored

What are the legal and financial issues involved with using non-approved adapter and it causes damage?

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Using a non-OEM Adapter may - or may not - work. In the off-chance that it does not work, then you'll have countless hours and heartache trying to make your vehicle, the charging station, the parking lot, and maybe any helpless bystanders whole again.

All of this for a couple of months of convenience at a fast charger that a year ago we didn't even know we'd be able to use. Then when your Rivian charger is available, what're you going to do with the $150 paperweight you bought?

As Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

All bets are off until UL 2252 is ratified. Once that happens, we may find that various charge point operators and vehicle manufacturers may change their language around adapters to allow those certified under UL 2252. But until it does, there are no certifications that cover EV charging adapters at all and that's the biggest reason why the hardline approach has been taken against all 3rd party adapters for now. Some of the adapters for Tesla owners that allow CCS use are downright scary how bad they are.

Cascadian

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Outback
Clubs

Is Rivian going to sell or provide a Level 2 adapter?

sfvR1S

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Quad Adventure 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
Occupation
CRE
Clubs

People do stupid things and then they sue because they "didn't know" what they did was stupid and they should've been protected from their own stupidity.

Sponsored

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

Rivian already supports J1772 Level 2 charging. No adapter needed.

Now, if you're asking if Rivian will supply a NACS-J1772 adapter for Level 2 charging... Nope.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
They've given no indication that they will, although it's a reasonable guess that at some point they are likely to do so. I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon. I think they'll start offering one in (late?) 2025 when they've switched the Rivian Wall Charger to NACS.

It's far less critical with Level 2. The odds of a Level 2 adapter having a catastrophic failure resulting in melted plastic and fire are much lower than with DCFC. That said, I wouldn't but a cheap adapter from Amazon. I would only buy one from a company that clearly cares about safety.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Warranty is one thing, but what is the general stance of insurance companies? Can insurance companies deny me a claim on comprehensive?
Insurance companies are generally private businesses that stay in business by making (not giving money). No insurance company is going out of their way to pay out if they don’t have to…and they don’t if they can show you were using an unauthorized adapter (and especially after you were specifically warned).
You might have a claim for indemnity against the maker of the specific adapter…but that’s assuming they are still in business, have assets and are subject to the jurisdictional requirements..

#therearestupidquestions
#cantgetoutofownway..

Chris TX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model S, Volt
Clubs

They've given no indication that they will, although it's a reasonable guess that at some point they are likely to do so. I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon. I think they'll start offering one in (late?) 2025 when they've switched the Rivian Wall Charger to NACS.

It's far less critical with Level 2. The odds of a Level 2 adapter having a catastrophic failure resulting in melted plastic and fire are much lower than with DCFC. That said, I wouldn't but a cheap adapter from Amazon. I would only buy one from a company that clearly cares about safety.
While I tend to agree with the "avoid 3rd party adapters" the one I got from Amazon works great at 48A. I've even checked it with my thermal camera, seeing no hot spots. The Tesla NACS plug does have a thermal sensor in it which would drop the amps down, if it did get too hot.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

When @A2ZEV came in here and explained a lot of what they've done with OEMs and such, it made me confident in ordering one. My hope is to use it as a back up long term once I get the Rivian adapter, and that they will get OEM approval at some point.

Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Well, my friend would like to charge up at the same location as my friend's friend during the summer road trips. Just trying to gauge the risk.
If there were no legal risks, at all, Rivian would not have bothered to put this in writing: https://rivian.com/support/article/can-i-use-a-third-party-nacs-dc-adapter. And similar warnings are published elsewhere within the Rivian-sphere. I don't have links and documents handy, but you and everyone else have the means to find them. I believe even Tesla has published similar warnings.

Action and consequences. They warned you. You go ahead and do it anyway because it suits you. Things go wrong. What do you think happens next?

Similarly, the no-smoking sign on the airplane is turned on. You go to the bathroom and smoke one anyway. What would happen next?

I just don't see, outside of whishful thinking, how anyone can see room for ambiguity. Unless you're a criminal defense lawyer (Breaking Bad reference)?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Seems like it until we get some anti-monopoly DOJ suit... but they're busy.
Except it is free....so not sure what the position on monopoly would be?

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Similarly, the no-smoking sign on the airplane is turned on. You go to the bathroom and smoke one anyway. What would happen next?
I think this is more similar to not turning on airplane mode when told to do so.

So many people ignore the airplane mode requirement that being told to do so has lost all meaning.

I feel like we've been told not because of liability reasons. But, there is no way that Tesla is going to ship that many adapters so anyone waiting for the official one is going to being waiting for a long time.

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m not really sure why this is even a question.

I read the warnings from Rivian and Tesla, I did the research on the A2Z website and watched several reviewers evaluate and test the adapter. I inspected the adapter when it arrived for visual build quality, decided it appears to be a quality adapter, took my trusty temperature gun to a Supercharger and monitored it during the initial test.

I have my big boy pants on, it was my decision to use the adapter, if by chance it causes any issues during my use it is on me. This is known as a calculated risk and I’m ok with it.

If people are thinking if there is an issue they are going to be looking for a lawyer or fighting for a warrenty repair, then their decision should be I’ll wait for the official one as clearly it is not a risk they are willing to pay for.
Sponsored