What is up w/service lead time?

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My last experience was so bad I sold my Rivian..... I could no longer justify having a $85k paper weight. Got it back "fixed" and sold it within 3 days of posting. Loved the car and don't mind EVs at all. Just can not justify dealing with such terrible customer service so often. Also got tired of Rivian not listening to me or having mixed messages from 5 different people. Even when it wasn't in the shop they were calling me asking me questions.

Maybe I'll buy another one in 5 or 6 years. I'd love to maybe buy a dedicated minimalistic off road version like the R2X..........
I thought about selling in the early days due to concern with long term reliability, but I didn't want to sell it until it was fixed.

It's still not fixed.

Like actual fixed and not "fixed"

If I hold myself to do that I might never sell it.

We'll just be a pair of broken old farts.

The Rivian isn't old, but the tok and suspension creaks make it sound like its 80. I'm only 50, but my heart think its 90.
Sponsored

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
This is my biggest concern. 3 months in with 2 SC visits. It’s been great until it’s not, and then I feel like I’m gambling or playing with fire.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I got Bellevue SC appointment in 2weeks, a few days back for an interior trim issue. I believe certain issues are backlogged a lot, like the exterior body/alignment issues.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I got Bellevue SC appointment in 2weeks, a few days back for an interior trim issue. I believe certain issues are backlogged a lot, like the exterior body/alignment issues.
I think anything that requires the lift is really backlogged at Bellevue.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
My thinking, why did I bring the truck in to service if it's going to sit in a lot for a week+. I know they are busy, but there could be much better organization on scheduling especially when my appointment had been scheduled 2.5 months ago for my first service.. Add to the fact that I am stuck with a ICE SUV rental getting 8-10 mpg, not a happy camper.
This. They could’ve checked you in in their system on your “appointment date” and just send a message on a later date saying hey we can work on your car tomorrow. Come on down. Assuming the car is drivable and within reasonable driving distance.

I just dropped mine off yesterday in Chicago. They already told me they only have 3 techs working on like 80 cars. Who knows when I’ll get it back. I took it there for some panel gaps and a misaligned steering wheel. The car is perfectly drivable. Having it sit under the sun for days or weeks at a SC without looking at it not productive.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
This. They could’ve checked you in in their system on your “appointment date” and just send a message on a later date saying hey we can work on your car tomorrow. Come on down. Assuming the car is drivable and within reasonable driving distance.

I just dropped mine off yesterday in Chicago. They already told me they only have 3 techs working on like 80 cars. Who knows when I’ll get it back. I took it there for some panel gaps and a misaligned steering wheel. The car is perfectly drivable. Having it sit under the sun for days or weeks at a SC without looking at it not productive.
Not to mention the fact I know they don't care for them when they are in their possession like I do, and the odds of "lot rot" types of damage are present. Every day they sit parked...the chances for damage increase.

But hey....someone will say "we all knew this when we bought from a start-up". I am convinced those are people in very different life situations than me, or have been lucky to not need service(or don't have their Rivians yet).

But hey....they are hitting production targets and stock has been stable at near cash on hand valuation as a reward....

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Not to mention the fact I know they don't care for them when they are in their possession like I do, and the odds of "lot rot" types of damage are present. Every day they sit parked...the chances for damage increase.

But hey....someone will say "we all knew this when we bought from a start-up". I am convinced those are people in very different life situations than me, or have been lucky to not need service(or don't have their Rivians yet).

But hey....they are hitting production targets and stock has been stable at near cash on hand valuation as a reward....
Lot rot is definitely a concern with cars going in and out and parked super close to each other door dings and scratches or worse could easily happen with a truck sitting for several weeks.

I think all the people who have amazing experiences live in Colorado where the Denver service center is apparently spectacular, with short wait times and quick turn around times.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Lot rot is definitely a concern with cars going in and out and parked super close to each other door dings and scratches or worse could easily happen with a truck sitting for several weeks.

I think all the people who have amazing experiences live in Colorado where the Denver service center is apparently spectacular, with short wait times and quick turn around times.
Inconsistency from center to center lies on upper management. Either lack of funds or lack of talent.

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
I thought about selling in the early days due to concern with long term reliability, but I didn't want to sell it until it was fixed.

It's still not fixed.

Like actual fixed and not "fixed"

If I hold myself to do that I might never sell it.

We'll just be a pair of broken old farts.

The Rivian isn't old, but the tok and suspension creaks make it sound like its 80. I'm only 50, but my heart think its 90.

All of my noises were gone after the last visit and got a bunch of concerns cleared up in writing. I demanded that they address EVERY single issue and do a safety inspection which I got in writing.

I wanted to sell, but did not want to sell if there were still issues present or I was worried about anything. I had a third party also take a look which had dealt with 3 Rivians before hand. The 3rd party did not seem impressed by the work Bellevue had done. We found multiple un torqued bolts and subframe fasteners. Everything got a full clean bill of health about 2 weeks after I got my Rivian back from the SC.

I really don't think the issues have anything to do with manufacturing or build quality. I think it comes down to the service side of the business is rotten.

CascadianApe

First Name
Chet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Ops
Inconsistency from center to center lies on upper management. Either lack of funds or lack of talent.
I've worked with many of them and it's sheer lack of talent. They are former Tesla and were purged by Elon several years ago. Some people brought in at much lower levels sometimes had decades more experience than those above them.

Rivian hired A LOT of people from outside the industry and it's beginning to really show. Those people then purged a lot of the more experienced talent during the multiple waves of layoffs. In the beginning 2020-2022 they had brought on amazing talent, but now it's been whittled away at by selfish and greedy leadership. Nothing quite like the head of Service Parts laughing at laying people off on a Zoom call with the teams not affected.

In the beginning though that place was amazing! It's a real shoot yourself in the foot sort of situation they've got going on. At least with service. Hopefully they purge their service leadership and start over. The whole SSOC, RPA, SC communications is just terrible. No one has the same story and they all contradict each other.

It's not a $85k - $105k experience.....

#NDAhasexpired

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I've worked with many of them and it's sheer lack of talent. They are former Tesla and were purged by Elon several years ago. Some people brought in at much lower levels sometimes had decades more experience than those above them.

Rivian hired A LOT of people from outside the industry and it's beginning to really show. Those people then purged a lot of the more experienced talent during the multiple waves of layoffs. In the beginning 2020-2022 they had brought on amazing talent, but now it's been whittled away at by selfish and greedy leadership. Nothing quite like the head of Service Parts laughing at laying people off on a Zoom call with the teams not affected.

In the beginning though that place was amazing! It's a real shoot yourself in the foot sort of situation they've got going on. At least with service. Hopefully they purge their service leadership and start over. The whole SSOC, RPA, SC communications is just terrible. No one has the same story and they all contradict each other.

It's not a $85k - $105k experience.....

#NDAhasexpired
I suspected alot of what you explained. It is clear that there is alot of arrogance in the upper level of service management. I base it on alot of casual observations and armchair management, but the signs are present.

Whqt I don't understand is they seem to think can keep ignoring it and just keep building more on the front end...like hubs, etc...

People come to internet and all that good they do upfront, gets killed when people see comments about how long it takes to get service or how long a truck sits in a lot waiting for someone to look at it.

And yet just keeps going on and on...

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
All of my noises were gone after the last visit and got a bunch of concerns cleared up in writing. I demanded that they address EVERY single issue and do a safety inspection which I got in writing.

I wanted to sell, but did not want to sell if there were still issues present or I was worried about anything. I had a third party also take a look which had dealt with 3 Rivians before hand. The 3rd party did not seem impressed by the work Bellevue had done. We found multiple un torqued bolts and subframe fasteners. Everything got a full clean bill of health about 2 weeks after I got my Rivian back from the SC.

I really don't think the issues have anything to do with manufacturing or build quality. I think it comes down to the service side of the business is rotten.
Can you send me a PM of the third party?

OP
OP

NaCl

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countryman s all4, Highlander Hybrid XLE, R1T
Hmm so my truck has already been in a week for service, I asked to get an update today, was called and told that they hadn't really started on it, that im in line, and there is no estimate on completion and they dont know when even a estimate will be available.

My thinking, why did I bring the truck in to service if it's going to sit in a lot for a week+. I know they are busy, but there could be much better organization on scheduling especially when my appointment had been scheduled 2.5 months ago for my first service.. Add to the fact that I am stuck with a ICE SUV rental getting 8-10 mpg, not a happy camper.

I read lots of Tesla hate on this forum, we own a Tesla that we are quite happy with, even during their ramping of the Model Y, lead times were less than a month and completion time for service was always with a estimate and within a week for the types of concerns I am having with the Rivian. My Model Ys first service the vehicle went in and they started work on it right away, i could tell through the app since doors and hood would show open with AC running.

My truck on the other hand has been slowly just dropping vampire drain sitting in a lot getting some sun. For others who have recently had their first services in SoCal, what are your experiences?
Interesting. Why did you not get an R1T loaner? All already loaned out or are they just following the Tesla playbook wrt rentals and eventually just rideshare credits _if_ you bug them about it?

Mere days after I took delivery of my R1T, March '22, there was a battery fault. They had to replace the entire battery. That took about a week. At that time they were flatbed transporting vehicles/loamers to/fro your house. So they delivered a brand new Launch Green unit as a loaner and hauled mine to the service center. While they were loading mine up onto the flatbed they started getting low voltage/other alerts. So they kept it another day to triage. Turned out to be the main control module. It could only be sourced and programmed from Normal. This was during them trying to meet numbers/deliveries _and_ supply chain constrained market for everything due to "Wuhan-C".

108 days later I got my truck back. Not identical in that in my case while it sat for a very long time, there had been and was active progression, but the larger issue for me would be that, in your case, the potential loan payment for the rental ICE/fuel cost experience. The only thing that made it palatable for me was that I was still getting the R1T experience for which I signed up. Just not in my color, but "free miles" so long as I didn't want to leave the state with it.

If it goes longer, I'd push for some form of "gas card" that would approximate your typical weekly Rivian mileage.
Hmm so my truck has already been in a week for service, I asked to get an update today, was called and told that they hadn't really started on it, that im in line, and there is no estimate on completion and they dont know when even a estimate will be available.

I read lots of Tesla hate on this forum, we own a Tesla that we are quite happy with, even during their ramping of the Model Y, lead times were less than a month and completion time for service was always with a estimate and within a week for the types of concerns I am having with the Rivian. My Model Ys first service the vehicle went in and they started work on it right away, i could tell through the app since doors and hood would show open with AC running.

My truck on the other hand has been slowly just dropping vampire drain sitting in a lot getting some sun. For others who have recently had their first services in SoCal, what are your experiences?

Interesting. Why did you not get an R1T loaner? All already loaned out or are they just following the Tesla playbook wrt rentals and eventually just rideshare credits _if_ you bug them about it?

Mere days after I took delivery of my R1T, March '22, there was a battery fault. They had to replace the entire battery. That took about a week. At that time they were flatbed transporting vehicles/loamers to/fro your house. So they delivered a brand new Launch Green unit as a loaner and hauled mine to the service center. While they were loading mine up onto the flatbed they started getting low voltage/other alerts. So they kept it another day to triage. Turned out to be the main control module. It could only be sourced and programmed from Normal. This was during them trying to meet numbers/deliveries _and_ supply chain constrained market for everything due to "Wuhan-C".

108 days later I finally got my truck back. In my case it sat most of the time but there was active progression and I had a loaner so aside from the color, spare tire, and inability to leave the state, I was getting the R1T experience for which I signed up. Oh and "free miles" in that because do this, my R1T is still low mileage for its age. It would not have been acceptable were it not for the loaner. Were I in your situation I would.be making the case that they will also need to be buying my fuel at a sufficient level to equal the same # of miles I routinely put on the Rivian. That seems only reasonable.

Hope it gets resolved soon!

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T

108 days later I got my truck back. Not identical in that in my case while it sat for a very long time, there had been and was active progression, but the larger issue for me would be that, in your case, the potential loan payment for the rental ICE/fuel cost experience. The only thing that made it palatable for me was that I was still getting the R1T experience for which I signed up. Just not in my color, but "free miles" so long as I didn't want to leave the state with it.

If it goes longer, I'd push for some form of "gas card" that would approximate your typical weekly Rivian mileage.

108 days later I finally got my truck back. In my case it sat most of the time but there was active progression and I had a loaner so aside from the color, spare tire, and inability to leave the state, I was getting the R1T experience for which I signed up. Oh and "free miles" in that because do this, my R1T is still low mileage for its age. It would not have been acceptable were it not for the loaner. Were I in your situation I would.be making the case that they will also need to be buying my fuel at a sufficient level to equal the same # of miles I routinely put on the Rivian. That seems only reasonable.

Hope it gets resolved soon!
Thanks everything was resolved (for the most part).. except the driver side door panel they replaced has a rivian logo instead of the Meridian like the rest of the vehicle so there’s a mismatch. I showed them it on pickup and they said they’ll get back to me.

With regards to the loaner after a few days with the ICE I reached back out to Rivian and explained my situation and was ultimately given a R1T which made the month long wait more palatable.

OP
OP

NaCl

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Countryman s all4, Highlander Hybrid XLE, R1T
Pardon my ignorance, but what does "tok" mean?
Sponsored