Sponsored

What's current experience like with windshield replacement?

ErichMF76

First Name
Erich Freundner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure, 2021 Bronco, 2020 Raptor
Occupation
System Administrator
Oh that's great! Thanks for confirming!

BTW what is this calibration everyone is referencing? I don't think I've ever had that done in any prior vehicle.
Calibration for all the sensors in the windshield.
Sponsored

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Yup definitely thinking about this especially if the glass can't be swapped at home as it could with all my other prior vehicles. I suppose sooner or later it will be but don't want to deal with stays at the SC.
Safelite was said to be in process of on-boarding. But who knows how far along they are. ExoShield film is about $600. No perceptible distortion. If you wear polarized sunglasses or polarized Rx glasses, you might see some rainbow colors at periphery.

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Calibration for all the sensors in the windshield.
Wipers I guess? Maybe temp too? I guess trying to understand how bad it would be to live without this until I have to take the car is for any sort of larger issue.

Safelite was said to be in process of on-boarding. But who knows how far along they are. ExoShield film is about $600. No perceptible distortion. If you wear polarized sunglasses or polarized Rx glasses, you might see some rainbow colors at periphery.
Another commenter said Safelite now has it FWIW. I'll look into ExoShield thanks!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
My experience was smooth. I have Rivian insurance with $0 deductible for glass.
1. Call Nationwide and file a claim but need to tell them I already have the replacement scheduled with a shop (Rivian SC).
2. Bring truck to Rivian SC. No loaner because it’s not a warranty repair. I arranged my own rental car.
3. Truck was ready 3 days later. Paid Rivian. Picked it up.
4. Emailed paid receipt to my Rivian insurance agent. Also emailed him my rental car receipt from Hertz.
4. Nationwide sent me a reimbursement check a week later for the windshield replacement and rental car. .

Time from drop off at SC to receipt of check was about 2 weeks. Note that Nationwide never inspected the damage. They just went by what I told them in the phone.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Good timing for this thread. I am having my windshield replaced this week.

The day after my windshield cracked I drove by the local Rivian service center to discuss. If you have a service center nearby, I have found it much easier to just show up uninvited than it is to get ahold of anyone on the the phone (or app).

The advisor at the service center told me that I can schedule the repair with them, but they wouldn't actually perform the replacement; the work would be outsourced to a local body shop.

Rivian gave me the contact info for the body shop they would have outsourced the work to and said that if I wanted to deal with them directly the body shop would be able to work with the insurance company which would not be an option if had Rivian schedule it.

So I called the body shop, and scheduled the repair. It took them 4 days to get the part from Rivian, took the lead in dealing with my insurance, and offered appointments as early as the day after the parts arrived. The body shop said that the repair would take less than 1 day, but would be long enough that I probably wouldn't want to sit around waiting.

I haven't been available to have it installed yet, so I can't speak to the quality of the work but 90% of the vehicles in their lot were Rivians, so I suspect they are qualified for the task.

edbeck

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software
I went through a replacement last month with my Rivian and Progressive insurance.

Got hit by a chunk of ice flying off the roof of a semi. Smashed the glass and sprayed glass all over interior. Progressive wanted me to use Safelite. I said no, I want an inspection from a collision shop in case of A pillar damage or something due to violence of impact. Insurance company was fine with that. The only issue with this was that I had to pay out of pocket and wait for check to be sent. (Which actually came from Safelite, not Progressive)

Used local certified collision center, after calling Rivian 800 number. They came and picked up the truck next day and had it fixed in a few days. Windshield and re-calibration at the same time since it was collision center.

Progressive rep was a pain in the butt in a good way. He was consistently calling me, seeing how things went, helping submit the claim request, checking if I got my check. Really on top of it.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
@Robin thanks. To clarify, are you saying that you had to first bring the R1S to the SC to have them look at it, and only then did they order the glass? And, that once the glass comes in they're saying it will take a few days to a week to install? That's crazy cakes compared to what I've experienced with other vehicles.

@KTR1 curious about the timing - how long did it take them to get the glass, and then how long did they have your car for the install?
The San Francisco SC is too busy to take any appointments till August. They have a list of Rivian certified shops in our area and recommended that the R1S go there /San Rafael Ca, My friend did have an appointment for the Sacramento SC, but San Raphael was closer (Bissotti’s Auto body). Right now the shop is waiting on the glass and hopefully will get a phone call s00n. We don’t know why it’s taking so long..Then the R1S will have to go back to the original detail shop to have new window tint applied. That will be another insurance issue to take care of. Right now we have the vehicle at home. We didn’t want to deal with the issue if getting a rental.. If he went to the Sacramento SC, that would have been in May. There was another R1S in the shop for a broken window also.

KTR1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
@Robin thanks. To clarify, are you saying that you had to first bring the R1S to the SC to have them look at it, and only then did they order the glass? And, that once the glass comes in they're saying it will take a few days to a week to install? That's crazy cakes compared to what I've experienced with other vehicles.

@KTR1 curious about the timing - how long did it take them to get the glass, and then how long did they have your car for the install?

Sponsored

KTR1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I took it by the Certified Collision Center same day I reached out to them for quick inspection. It took 4-5 days to get the glass from Rivian and they installed it next day after it was received, including an offsite recalibration. The recalibration alone was $1k, but in NC broken windshields are zero deductible…fully covered.

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
The recalibration alone was $1k, but in NC broken windshields are zero deductible…fully covered.
Want to make sure I understand what you're saying. Was the recalibration fee of $1000 covered bc it's a required part of replacing the windshield, for which there's zero deductible?

Or are you saying that the glass/install was covered, but you were still $1k out of pocket?

KTR1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Want to make sure I understand what you're saying. Was the recalibration fee of $1000 covered bc it's a required part of replacing the windshield, for which there's zero deductible?

Or are you saying that the glass/install was covered, but you were still $1k out of pocket?
100% was covered, including the recalibration.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
$1000 is pretty steep for calibration. I was only charged $350 today.

Actually this is what my insurance paid as glass is a $0 deductible item.

Rivian R1T R1S What's current experience like with windshield replacement? 1000018872
Sponsored