First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
There’s a large Fisker building like a half mile from my home. I wonder when they’ll remove the logo on it. It’s a really nice looking building too, so I’m curious what company will come in afterwards.
Dollar General? 🥴

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Serious question: Has anyone on this forum ever thought a Fisker was appealing? Or know someone who has? I see the appeal with Teslas, Lucids, Mach-Es, ID.4s, Kias, and more, but Fisker has just never spoken to me. Just wondering.
The Fisker Alaska concept Pickup Truck looked great, but sadly that will likely never be built now.

I put a $250 deposit down on one back in 2023 before Fisker Inc was in such bad shape. Seeing how badly things are looking for them at this point, I requested a refund last week.. and I got $225 of my $250 deposit back already (less the $25 non-refundable charge per the customer agreement).

Rivian R1T R1S Worried about buying a Rivian if the company fails 1713377834450-tk

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dustyshades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Serious question: Has anyone on this forum ever thought a Fisker was appealing? Or know someone who has? I see the appeal with Teslas, Lucids, Mach-Es, ID.4s, Kias, and more, but Fisker has just never spoken to me. Just wondering.
I saw a couple matte blue ones around and thought they looked really nice, but then saw a black one and realized that the only thing I really liked from the car was the matte blue paint

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I’ve found a Launch Edition R1T exactly as I’d spec it and have negotiated the dealer down to a price I’m happy with. Then… last night I started watching YouTube videos about the financial health of the company and it really has me reconsidering whether buying any Rivian is a good idea.

First video I watched:

And then the sequel:

Tldr; basically Rivian loses money on every car produced. They have blown through most of the cash they raised in their IPO, and the stock is now down 90% from IPO. Given demand concerns, high interest rates, and questionable ability to raise more money… it looks like Rivian maybe has 2 years left to live.

I’m curious how other owners have thought about this risk, and if you made the purchase how you rationalized the decision. If the company went bankrupt it would be near impossible I imagine to get it serviced and of course the value of an expensive car would tank.

A penny for Rivian Forum users thoughts?
Leasing will mitigate a lot of the risk.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm more worried about dying in a car accident on my way to or from work.

Especially on days I drive my Fisker Ocean.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
They should have cut deeper, earlier.

Now they've burned cash they need to bridge to R2. Maybe they have 4-5 quarters of cash (assuming sales hold and similar ASP - which we know are falling). It's a tough one, they really need R2 to launch mid-2025.

Without the backing of a sovereign wealth fund or hyperactive centi-billionaire it's going to be a very difficult road. I have been able to configure my pre-order since last Fall, waiting on the picture to get a little clearer and for rational (i.e., cost-cutting, efficiency-focused, lean mfg) execs to step in and straighten the place out. They really need a Blackstone or Apollo to buy a controlling interest and tighten the ship.

Products are well positioned and engineered, but they don't know how to run a public company and it shows.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Products are well positioned and engineered, but they don't know how to run a public company and it shows
I heard Tesla's "across the board" cuts included service center employees. Pretty interesting because a company that uses the traditional auto dealer distribution and service wouldn't be able to do this.

Sponsored

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

For market research purposes, I test drove a Ocean Ultra. I thought it was a great car and was WAY easier to drive (subjective) then my S. Exceed expections.

It's less of a learning curve from coming from an ICE. Is it worth $80k and better than my S, no. Is it a better fit and worth $80k to someone else, probably.

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Is there a risk? yes. Does everybody knows about it. Yes, including RJ. (If he doesn’t, we have a bigger problem). Do I trust RJ and Rivian management? Absolutely Yes! If I see holistically the cars delivered, including complaints cherry picked here and their service challenges, the Rivian is doing all the right things.

Is Wall Street putting all EVs in the same bucket, yes! I would say they should not and they should discount significant value for Elon.

Both Rivian and Lucid gained market share & Tesla lost in the last quarter.

Anyhow, Rivian is a great company and you can buy their fantastic models!

Of course, you can also buy Camry of EVs (all Tesla and Ford may fall into this) and can lead your (dreary) life happy 😃 or take calculated risk to lead an exciting life!

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I like driving mine. Magna being the manufacturer is what sealed the deal for me on it. Build quality is great and the software issues are tolerable for a commuting vehicle. I could probably trust it for distance travel but I don't need to. I personally don't see the appeal of any of Tesla's designs currently. They're too dull and the minimalizing that's happening in the cockpit is just stupid.

The open-air feel is great and I can close everything up with a single button, at whatever speed I am driving. I disliked taking my convertible on questionable weather days (which seemed to be every day on the year I got rid of mine) because I'd have to stop to put the top up or down. Ocean is close to that same feel without the major inconvenience factor.

I'll be sad to see Fisker actually go bankrupt but it's not enough for me to dispose of an otherwise functional and fun vehicle.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We love Opal (our R1T) and will continue to enjoy her. We have owned an orphan vehicle before. We owned a DeLorean for thirty-one years. We never had trouble getting parts or finding people to work on it. Only about eight thousand DeLoreans were produced. We ultimately sold our DeLorean for more than we paid for it. Additionally, a new DeLorean in 1981 was $24,000, which would be $82,000 today.

Our suggestion is to calm down.

Brian

Last edited:

Tahoe Man

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
I’ve found a Launch Edition R1T exactly as I’d spec it and have negotiated the dealer down to a price I’m happy with. Then… last night I started watching YouTube videos about the financial health of the company and it really has me reconsidering whether buying any Rivian is a good idea.

First video I watched:

And then the sequel:

Tldr; basically Rivian loses money on every car produced. They have blown through most of the cash they raised in their IPO, and the stock is now down 90% from IPO. Given demand concerns, high interest rates, and questionable ability to raise more money… it looks like Rivian maybe has 2 years left to live.

I’m curious how other owners have thought about this risk, and if you made the purchase how you rationalized the decision. If the company went bankrupt it would be near impossible I imagine to get it serviced and of course the value of an expensive car would tank.

A penny for Rivian Forum users thoughts?
The company would be acquired from someone else. Nevertheless, even with this, I would be less likely to put down this much money with an unknown future. I really like the R1 and 2 but I would pass not knowing what's going to happen over ten years.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.