Sponsored

I wouldn't bet against Toyota ....... Mirai XLE with a 402-mile EPA-estimated driving range. *

zigzagzap

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maserati QP, Porsche GTS, BMW X5, R1S
Occupation
Financial
Rivian R1T R1S I wouldn't bet against Toyota ....... Mirai XLE with a 402-mile EPA-estimated driving range. * toyota-mirai-limited-whit

Hydrogen-powered Toyota Mirai

Toyota EVs only accounted for 1% of all deliveries in 2023. That's 110k EVs and 11MM combustion vehicles. Hydrogen engines have been raised from the dead and are now on sale at your local Toyota dealer. The Toyota Fuel cell system Mirai is selling for under $70k for its top-of-the-line end model, but filling stations are still only limited to California.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
I’ve seen comparisons between BEVs and H2 fuel cell EVs, particular in regards to infrastructure maturity and how H2 will catch up.

This is a disingenuous comparison.

I love the idea of fuel cells, and hope we sort out the last-mile delivery problem. For some applications it seems like a no-brainer - e.g. long-haul trucking. But it is far, far more challenging than moving electrons from one location to another to satisfy the delivery requirements of passenger vehicles at scale.

We need a fundamental shift in H2 creation and storage in order for this to become feasible.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’ve seen comparisons between BEVs and H2 fuel cell EVs, particular in regards to infrastructure maturity and how H2 will catch up.

I love the idea of fuel cells, and hope we sort out the last-mile delivery problem. For some applications it seems like a no-brainer - e.g. long-haul trucking. But it is far, far more challenging than moving electrons from one location to another to satisfy the delivery requirements of passenger vehicles at scale.

We need a fundamental shift in H2 creation and storage in order for this to become feasible.
I'd consider a hydrogen vehicle if they ever solve the "car frozen to pump" issue. 5 minute fill-up would be great, but the unpredictability of it is a major turn off.

Also want to be able to fill at home too, another pipe dream.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I'd consider a hydrogen vehicle if they ever solve the "car frozen to pump" issue. 5 minute fill-up would be great, but the unpredictability of it is a major turn off.

With the current cost of a hydrogen generator, charging at home would not be something 99.9% of us could feasibly do, not to mention the size.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S I wouldn't bet against Toyota ....... Mirai XLE with a 402-mile EPA-estimated driving range. * 1712940868177-4v

ThatOneGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

Agreed. I think there should be a big push to accelerate the transition of fuel-hungry transportation to hydrogen fuel cells. Not just long haul trucking, but air and sea travel as well. Each of those sectors are limited to select locations and already require somewhat specialized infrastructure, so setting up hydrogen refueling shouldn't be as complicated as it is/would be for smaller personally owned vehicles.
Sponsored