Sponsored

KIA EV9 vs. Rivian R1S: Comprehensive Overview, Key Questions, Buy or Lease Scenarios?

Porfiry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

How likely will it get a heat pump?
This guy on Threads seems to think a heat pump is coming (but no NACS). No idea if he's credible, but it's a data point.

I'm also debating between Kia and Rivian. I had given up on EV SUVs, but the EV9 really impressed me earlier this year, and then Rivian just opened up in my city (I'm in Canada). I've been doing a bunch of test drives the last few weeks and hopefully will be able to get something ahead of winter.

I think they're both great, and I could get along well with either. For me, the biggest problem with the EV9 is the lack of Supercharger access. I know Kia has promised it is coming next year, but I don't think I'd take them just at their word. Rivian wins.

The biggest problem with the Rivian is how Driver+ is locked to specific roads, and there seems to be no way to know ahead of times what roads are supported. I really want a comfortable, low-stress highway cruiser, and I just have no clue if Driver+ will even be usable in my area. Kia wins on this for now.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Electron

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EVs since 2014 | R1S | R2 RSVP
Occupation
Engineer || Investment Manger
Clubs

This guy on Threads seems to think a heat pump is coming (but no NACS). No idea if he's credible, but it's a data point.

I'm also debating between Kia and Rivian. I had given up on EV SUVs, but the EV9 really impressed me earlier this year, and then Rivian just opened up in my city (I'm in Canada). I've been doing a bunch of test drives the last few weeks and hopefully will be able to get something ahead of winter.

I think they're both great, and I could get along well with either. For me, the biggest problem with the EV9 is the lack of Supercharger access. I know Kia has promised it is coming next year, but I don't think I'd take them just at their word. Rivian wins.

The biggest problem with the Rivian is how Driver+ is locked to specific roads, and there seems to be no way to know ahead of times what roads are supported. I really want a comfortable, low-stress highway cruiser, and I just have no clue if Driver+ will even be usable in my area. Kia wins on this for now.
Interesting (about the heat pump). It's so conflicting. I guess we shall see when time comes.

It surprises me how many folks downplay the heat pump. I guess they live in warmer climates and have never experienced the cold, let alone trying to charge on cold cells. A heat pump is absolutely necessary for colder regions.

HMG should be one of the first to go NACS as standard come Q4 when the EV9 is made at the Georgia plant, let alone being eligible for the full federal tax incentive (for US folks). Not sure about the full details of the Canadian incentives, but if one of the requirements are for the EV to be made in N.A., then that'll be good for you guys.

You should try taking a test drive, assuming you can get a hold of an adapter, and try charging on a Tesla super charger. There are EV6 owners who are charging on Tesla SCs.

I've been hearing a lot about the Driver+ and now really want to test it for myself. As for the ADAS on the KIA, it's really good and in a lot of ways I like it better than my Auto Pilot on our Teslas. That's saying a lot.

Do you guys have strong incentives up there on EV9s? At least for in the States, in the bigger cities they are moving pretty well, but in rural areas not so much. Makes sense. I've heard of several dealers in rural areas transferring their EV9 inventory to the dealers in the city since they're not moving in the boondocks.

Porfiry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

Do you guys have strong incentives up there on EV9s? At least for in the States, in the bigger cities they are moving pretty well, but in rural areas not so much. Makes sense. I've heard of several dealers in rural areas transferring their EV9 inventory to the dealers in the city since they're not moving in the boondocks.
The EV9 MSRP in Canada is more sensible than down there. For example, the base Light RWD starts at $60k CAD (~$44k USD), vs your starting price of $54k USD. However, our dealers are behind the curve in getting inventory, so they're still marking things up by $10k just for fun. EV9 does already qualify for a $5k government rebate, which the Rivian does not. Our rebate is based on price, not location of manufacture. In fact, the Kia dealer suggested that even after the Georgia plant opens, the Canadian market will still get supplied from Korea.

By any financial measure, the EV9 is the obvious choice, but the Rivian product "feels" like a better fit for me. I'm waiting for the refresh news to see if that shuffles the equation.

You should try taking a test drive, assuming you can get a hold of an adapter, and try charging on a Tesla super charger. There are EV6 owners who are charging on Tesla SCs.
Interesting. We've actually got good CCS coverage on our local highways, but I do like to road trip south via Montana/Idaho every year and that can be a wasteland for fast charging. I'd be real nervous about relying on an unofficial adapter far from home.

I've been hearing a lot about the Driver+ and now really want to test it for myself. As for the ADAS on the KIA, it's really good and in a lot of ways I like it better than my Auto Pilot on our Teslas. That's saying a lot.
My experience was brief, but I found both the Kia and Rivian to be very solid and confident at lane-keeping. I didn't get the same confidence from the Model 3 Highland I tried. It's hard to explain, but the Tesla just felt more unnatural and a bit more stressful than if I were just to drive it myself.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Why spec a max pack against a Kia with with 270 miles of range? I would build a Rivian with a Standard battery and you have similar ranges to compare.

I would compare lease deals, Kia and dealers throwing a lot of money at the EV9 just 6 months after release so good deals can be had. But Rivian has nice lease deals with much lower depreciation when I last looked.

Also the EV9 has ventilated seats (front/rear), not cooled seats, as does the Rivian (front).

My take, EV9 is ok if a bit quirky but as a family hauler the captain chairs are a huge plus. The On button position (and existence) would drive me crazy, no walk away lock and it can’t remember the 1PD setting. Certainly less $$$ but they are very different vehicles.
Exactly. If you are comparing vehicles, first thing to do is match the range. Comparing 400 mile vehicle with 270 mile vehicle and saying 400 mile one is expensive is like..

OP
OP
Electron

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Exactly. If you are comparing vehicles, first thing to do is match the range. Comparing 400 mile vehicle with 270 mile vehicle and saying 400 mile one is expensive is like..
I disagree. Maybe for you, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

Let me help you here so that you can better comprehend some things.

1. These two vehicles regardless of the price difference or range will be cross shopped. 270 miles for either the EV9 GT-Line or Base R1S isn't bad at all for most people. Those who are unfortunately willing to pay $70Ks for the GT-Line, puts them right at striking range of a base R1S or a used QM. To go even further in the $70K range, also a DM Max Pack (used).

2. From a cost perspective, the DM w/ Max Pack NEW is twice as much as the EV9 GT-Line NEW after incentives, so of course it would be of consideration as these two vehicles are very capable family EV SUVs. Most people with EVs travel from charger to charger* with restroom breaks etc. so 270 is plenty for a lot of folks, unless you're one of the few with an iron dome bladder and willing to pee in a bottle. (*of course not exactly the next charger as some may choose oen that's further away.)

3. Range isn't the only factor for some, especially for us as we charge 90%+ at home and have a good charging network along the routes that we travel. It's a non issue, so no the first thing in our case is NOT to match the range.

4. In our situation, we're able to pay cash so price isn't a factor, but that doesn't mean that getting a good deal is all of a sudden ignored. The purpose of the thread was in large part to help those who are cross shopping as well to hopefully get value in the info provided here, helping them to make the best informed decision for their scenario.

So exactly to your point that doesn't flow with the logic here, to assume that everyone should match the range as their primary factor is like..

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Electron

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

The EV9 MSRP in Canada is more sensible than down there. For example, the base Light RWD starts at $60k CAD (~$44k USD), vs your starting price of $54k USD. However, our dealers are behind the curve in getting inventory, so they're still marking things up by $10k just for fun. EV9 does already qualify for a $5k government rebate, which the Rivian does not. Our rebate is based on price, not location of manufacture. In fact, the Kia dealer suggested that even after the Georgia plant opens, the Canadian market will still get supplied from Korea.

By any financial measure, the EV9 is the obvious choice, but the Rivian product "feels" like a better fit for me. I'm waiting for the refresh news to see if that shuffles the equation.

Interesting. We've actually got good CCS coverage on our local highways, but I do like to road trip south via Montana/Idaho every year and that can be a wasteland for fast charging. I'd be real nervous about relying on an unofficial adapter far from home.

My experience was brief, but I found both the Kia and Rivian to be very solid and confident at lane-keeping. I didn't get the same confidence from the Model 3 Highland I tried. It's hard to explain, but the Tesla just felt more unnatural and a bit more stressful than if I were just to drive it myself.
Very nice! A $10K delta. Not bad at all.

About them stealership mark ups though, very annoying and it's sad to see them leeches still doing that. It'll bite them sooner or later.

In a way your lucky to still be getting cars from S.Korea. What almost always happens is that once imports (legacy) are made here in N.A. it takes a hit on some of the fit and finish. Legacy cars made overseas, in my opinion, have a higher standard with QC. I would take a HMG product made in S.Korea over N.A. any day.

The Rivian being our choice gets even more solidified as we get more immersed into the community and culture. It's truely something special and even if the EV9 had a reasonable frunk and rear deep well, it would still be probably smaller in volume than the R1S so the decision would hold in going with the R1S.

As for super chargers in ID/MT, although there are a resonable amount along i90, it does indeed get really sparse once your off that route. Sounds funny, but when traveling into places with limited chargers, a good workalbe back up would be to carry different adapters (including the TT-30P to 14-50R) and map out some RV camp spots that have power. Most will have 50A outlets, some even with 14-50 outlets, but even ones with a 30A breaker it could get the job done.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
So exactly to your point that doesn't flow with the logic here, to assume that everyone should match the range as their primary factor is like..
Then take the price out of the calculation if that is your logic. By my logic I can’t wrap my head around comparing 400 miles range with 270 miles range when the MSRP of a GT-Line and base are R1S are the same.

I am in the camp with those for you to buy whatever suits your fancy and don’t drag this out any longer. You have done nearly impeccable research and touched on the most arcane aspects of each vehicle so cut to the chase and let us all know your next ride.

OP
OP
Electron

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Then take the price out of the calculation if that is your logic. By my logic I can’t wrap my head around comparing 400 miles range with 270 miles range when the MSRP of a GT-Line and base are R1S are the same.

I am in the camp with those for you to buy whatever suits your fancy and don’t drag this out any longer. You have done nearly impeccable research and touched on the most arcane aspects of each vehicle so cut to the chase and let us all know your next ride.
Well I guess someone has to break it to you, but the World doesn't revolve around your logic. You've clearly missed the points being addressed here. It's simple and there are many examples that describe our particular situation, while another family can take the info provided here and use it to determine what works for them.

Not every buyers decision is purely based on range. Clearly, if you haven't noticed already. If that's your thing then great, but it's not everyone's primary determining factor.

Do note that Quad Motors are the most common (used), which is why it's being referenced here, aside to the fact that a used QM is within the price range of a new GT-Line. Dual Motors, especially the ones with Max Packs are extremely rare to find in the used market.

The answer to the next ride is in the first post and other replies. Any further discussions here are more geared toward those cross shopping the two EV SUVs. Simple.

Last edited:

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I disagree. Maybe for you, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

Let me help you here so that you can better comprehend some things.

1. These two vehicles regardless of the price difference or range will be cross shopped. 270 miles for either the EV9 GT-Line or Base R1S isn't bad at all for most people. Those who are unfortunately willing to pay $70Ks for the GT-Line, puts them right at striking range of a base R1S or a used QM. To go even further in the $70K range, also a DM Max Pack (used).

2. From a cost perspective, the DM w/ Max Pack NEW is twice as much as the EV9 GT-Line NEW after incentives, so of course it would be of consideration as these two vehicles are very capable family EV SUVs. Most people with EVs travel from charger to charger* with restroom breaks etc. so 270 is plenty for a lot of folks, unless you're one of the few with an iron dome bladder and willing to pee in a bottle. (*of course not exactly the next charger as some may choose oen that's further away.)

3. Range isn't the only factor for some, especially for us as we charge 90%+ at home and have a good charging network along the routes that we travel. It's a non issue, so no the first thing in our case is NOT to match the range.

4. In our situation, we're able to pay cash so price isn't a factor, but that doesn't mean that getting a good deal is all of a sudden ignored. The purpose of the thread was in large part to help those who are cross shopping as well to hopefully get value in the info provided here, helping them to make the best informed decision for their scenario.

If you aren't really trying troll, edit your original post with info on range. The first question on 90%(if not 99%) of buyers mind when buying an EV is the range. You conveniently omitted that info in the post while writing an extensively long comparison. Paid guerilla marketing isn't very rare.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Electron

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

If you aren't really trying troll, edit your original post with info on range. The first question on 90%(if not 99%) of buyers mind when buying an EV is the range. You conveniently omitted that info in the post while writing an extensively long comparison. Paid guerilla marketing isn't very rare.
Please stop polluting this thread. Go make your own.

You're making yourself look really bad and insulting peoples intelligence in thinking that they don't already know the range between the two vehicles.

Most people look directly on the manufacturers website first where an overview of the relevant info for the vehicle is clearly on the first page.

Not sure what circus you're on, but just stop with your trolling. Take your imagination into your own thread and have fun.

Sponsored

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Regarding range, also I haven't read entire thread so forgive me if already stated, 270 turns into about 190 on highway trips (80% and 80 mph). In the winter it turns into about 160, unless in deep south. So range is worth $'s to many.

OP
OP
Electron

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Regarding range, also I haven't read entire thread so forgive me if already stated, 270 turns into about 190 on highway trips (80% and 80 mph). In the winter it turns into about 160, unless in deep south. So range is worth $'s to many.
That is true and thanks for sharing. Initially the thread was created to share the difference from our point of view. Range was clearly not a factor in the equation so that's why it wasn't a point of importance for our situation. However, I'll add to the OP to indicate this info for the sake of those cross shopping. Appreciate your input.

onesoil

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2002 Audi B5 S4 Wagon
Occupation
Director of Operations at Vermont Compost Company
Thanks, appreciate it! The posts may be a clear giveaway, but I'm a bit OCD. I like when information is neat, straight forward and easy to compare. I've literally spent hours upon hours since I've joined with numerous browser tabs up chipping away at reading all that I could find through combing the forum.

I do agree that they are both extremely good options. In the areas of cargo space such as the frunk and rear deep well, those hold a lot of importance for our needs, so although the EV9 does so many things right, it missed two of the most important markers for us. It's really a bummer.

We do really love the R1S and it's what we're after. The only way the EV9 would even get back on the table of consideration is if there is an insane deal on a new GT-Line. Ex. Some dealers are already giving $7500 off of a purchase (not lease). With the state incentive, obtaining the EV9 GT-Line for mid 50s can be a possiblity.

About that heat pump, I wonder now...

Thanks for your input!

As for the rear facing child seat, it's pretty problematic in the Rivian. The rear facing seat actually did better in the EV9, giving the front passenger much more room than the R1S.

We keep the car seat reclined a notch past the center so that the little one can comfortably sleep during road trips.

Buying another type of car seat is an option, yes, but we like certain brands that have the highest safety rating, so we don't really want to go the slim seat route as we value safety first.

Plus, I'm not sure that even the slim seats will solve the front passenger kissing the dash issue.

R1S Passenger with Rear Facing Car Seat.PNG

(This OOS R1S Review video.)

R1S Passenger with Rear Facing Car Seat 2.PNG

Even with the 2nd row seat fully back (no room now for any 3rd row passenger) the front passenger is still kissing the dash.

Note: We have this issue also in our Model Y, not suprising, but just to note in case someone in the future searches for this info. The Model Y is NOT a family car in my books. It's an amazing CUV (My wife calls it a, Cute Utility Vehicle), but it's just a Model 3 Sedan with a hatch that ate a few more Big Macs. So to the potential EV owners, if you're looking for a true family EV, the Model Y is not it despite what others might say. This is just my opinion based on reality.

We're really excited about the powered frunk and all that space. I've spent a lot of time in the Lightning and talk about another amazing frunk. Absolutely love it.

I'm with you on the stealership part. Gosh I hate them, some of the lowest scums on the earth. Fortunently the ones we've been to are pretty chill, perhaps due to me taking control of the situation and letting it be known that we're not pawns. Loved your comment though, I'm with you.

Thanks for clarifying about the safety rating!

I agree. I think the EV9 will easily outsell the R1S, especially when the IONIQ 9 (renamed from the 7) varaint comes out. Naturally I think the IONIQ 9 will draw more attention in the EV space and will create a lot of people cross shopping the two.

With that said, they really sit in two different classes, but also offer a lot of the same practical features that one would want in a SUV.

Because a Dual Motor w/ Max Pack is what we'd want as our first R1S config. Second, would be the Quad Motor with the Large pack which we're find with too (range wise).

The EV9 is on the table due to how cheap it can be obtained, not necessarily due to the range for near half the cost as a R1S. EV9s across the country can easily be had for sub $60K, plus if you have state incentives etc. Mid $50Ks. A Max Pack DM runs a hair over $100K.

In regard to depreciation, a new Max Pack DM will run $100K and a used 2023 DM Max Pack, low mies, practically new, just sold for $77K.

I'm curious what kind of depreciation the EV9 GT-Line will be. Considering one gets it for $60K even, 2-3 years from now, let's say 3 years, loosely based on a rough depreciation of a telluride, a new EV9 today would sit in the low $50Ks. However, of course with it being an EV the hit will likely be much more like we're seeing in Teslas and Rivians.

I agree and that's where we're at right now. I wouldn't pay $70K MSRP for a GT-Line, no way, for that money R1S easily. But at mid $50Ks after incentives that changes the picture a lot.

I really liked the system in the EV9, particularily how lane keep can remain active while disengaging the cruise control.

Is the Rivian able to do this? I didn't get a chance to test it out much on the road that I drove it on.

Would have loved the 2nd row swivel seats. It'd make loading a little one into the car seat pretty sweet.
Have you tried an R1S with your car seat? We have a Nuna REVV, which takes up a fair amount of space in rear facing. With the front seat in the tallest position (fear adjuster) and lowest position on the front adjustment (under your quads/knees), I am actually able to be reasonably comfortable. I’m 6’ tall. My 5’3” partner is perfectly happy on long road trips, where I’m almost always driving anyways, but I’ve experienced sitting in front of the car seat a few times and it wasn’t as bad as I expected as long as the seat is adjusted correctly. Just my 2¢…

Also, going from an Ioniq 5 to R1T has been an upgrade in every way—except perhaps the ability to back regen down to nothing (coasting) with the paddles which is nice sometimes. I wouldn’t downplay the irritation of an on/off button and lack of climate control ability when not in vehicle (Hyundai won’t let you run climate for more than 10 min with the car locked, and won’t let you lock the car while it’s “on”, and doesn’t have a pet mode—all very irritating, even potentially dangerous in extreme climates).

Also, the rear backup “safety” feature has slammed us to a stop with full e-brake application before because of a harsh shadow. It wouldn't let me reverse until I dove into several submenus to deactivate rear cross-traffic braking—a setting it resets every time you go from drive to reverse and back to drive. I honestly feel like this can cause more dangerous scenarios to occur if it decides to not let you reverse and you’re in a compromising traffic position.

Our Ioniq 5 got lemon-lawed (a mercy, but not without many months of fighting for it) and the service was frankly pretty terrible from Hyundai. Rivian has been WAY better (Chelsea, MA SC is excellent). The Ioniq 5 had a couple major electronic system issues, and I wasn’t at all confident that it wouldn’t keep having them from all the ICCU failure reports I have seen on Ioniq 5 forums/FB groups. This coupled with the archaic software/UI, and a complete inability to keep the cabin temp stable while in and out of the vehicle on errands with a pet and/or partner/baby in vehicle generally soured me on EGMP altogether.

I’m not sure how much of my Ioniq 5 gripes apply to the EV9, or KIA EVs in general for that matter, but my guess is they share more similarities than differences (and certainly more overlap between the two than with a Rivian), but I wouldn’t consider a Hyundai EV until they drastically improve/overhaul their UI/UX—I don’t think it gets enough negative attention. Terrible, even nearly nonexistent route planning, lack of reasonable phone/app integration, aforementioned climate control (or lack thereof), etc. will have you screaming at your your car—especially coming from a Tesla.

the R1T has SOOO much storage outside the main cabin which has really helped things stay tidier with a baby, dog, and all sorts of stuff that come with them (and tools/cameras/extra gear I like to carry around too.

if you haven’t, go demo drive a Rivian. Also, if you haven’t already looked, there’s another purchase option in the form of buying a demo R1. I just got mine about a month ago, and it was in nearly impecable shape—to the point where I wouldn’t have known it wasn’t new if someone parked it in front of me and handed me the fob to look it over without my knowing (mine had nearly 10k miles). I got a green on green QM large pack with dark 20s for $70k (before nearly $10k in federal/state rebates) and I couldn’t be happier!

Demo Rivian “shop” page:

https://demovehicles.rivian.com/

Last edited:

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

I think we can turn down the temperature a little bit on what is a helpful discussion about two (potentially) great vehicles with different characteristics. No one here is trolling, just different opinions and priorities. OP, like everyone else, has a unique use case and is trying to mentally squeeze these two vehicles into that use case before purchase. The range discussion matters, as it is one of the most compelling numbers in the market, but maybe not for OP (we don't know their travel patterns). I think the whole community is trying to figure out how to translate range into life and the current fluidity of the charging environment doesn't help that. In the end, OP, and anyone reading this thread with similar issues has to make a personal decision and, hey, that may come down to something like cupholders. Regardless of what the OP chooses, I hope it works out for them because unhappy Rivian customers make for bad threads and happy EV drivers make for more EV drivers.

Also, Turo a Rivian, I think you'll fall in love.

OP
OP
Electron

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Have you tried an R1S with your car seat? We have a Nuna REVV, which takes up a fair amount of space in rear facing. With the front seat in the tallest position (fear adjuster) and lowest position on the front adjustment (under your quads/knees), I am actually able to be reasonably comfortable. I’m 6’ tall. My 5’3” partner is perfectly happy on long road trips, where I’m almost always driving anyways, but I’ve experienced sitting in front of the car seat a few times and it wasn’t as bad as I expected as long as the seat is adjusted correctly. Just my 2¢…

Also, going from an Ioniq 5 to R1T has been an upgrade in every way—except perhaps the ability to back regen down to nothing (coasting) with the paddles which is nice sometimes. I wouldn’t downplay the irritation of an on/off button and lack of climate control ability when not in vehicle (Hyundai won’t let you run climate for more than 10 min with the car locked, and won’t let you lock the car while it’s “on”, and doesn’t have a pet mode—all very irritating, even potentially dangerous in extreme climates).

Also, the rear backup “safety” feature has slammed us to a stop with full e-brake application before because of a harsh shadow. It wouldn't let me reverse until I dove into several submenus to deactivate rear cross-traffic braking—a setting it resets every time you go from drive to reverse and back to drive. I honestly feel like this can cause more dangerous scenarios to occur if it decides to not let you reverse and you’re in a compromising traffic position.

Our Ioniq 5 got lemon-lawed (a mercy, but not without many months of fighting for it) and the service was frankly pretty terrible from Hyundai. Rivian has been WAY better (Chelsea, MA SC is excellent). The Ioniq 5 had a couple major electronic system issues, and I wasn’t at all confident that it wouldn’t keep having them from all the ICCU failure reports I have seen on Ioniq 5 forums/FB groups. This coupled with the archaic software/UI, and a complete inability to keep the cabin temp stable while in and out of the vehicle on errands with a pet and/or partner/baby in vehicle generally soured me on EGMP altogether.

I’m not sure how much of my Ioniq 5 gripes apply to the EV9, or KIA EVs in general for that matter, but my guess is they share more similarities than differences (and certainly more overlap between the two than with a Rivian), but I wouldn’t consider a Hyundai EV until they drastically improve/overhaul their UI/UX—I don’t think it gets enough negative attention. Terrible, even nearly nonexistent route planning, lack of reasonable phone/app integration, aforementioned climate control (or lack thereof), etc. will have you screaming at your your car—especially coming from a Tesla.

the R1T has SOOO much storage outside the main cabin which has really helped things stay tidier with a baby, dog, and all sorts of stuff that come with them (and tools/cameras/extra gear I like to carry around too.

if you haven’t, go demo drive a Rivian. Also, if you haven’t already looked, there’s another purchase option in the form of buying a demo R1. I just got mine about a month ago, and it was in nearly impecable shape—to the point where I wouldn’t have known it wasn’t new if someone parked it in front of me and handed me the fob to look it over without my knowing (mine had nearly 10k miles). I got a green on green QM large pack with dark 20s for $70k (before nearly $10k in federal/state rebates) and I couldn’t be happier!

Demo Rivian “shop” page:

https://demovehicles.rivian.com/
Thanks for the input. We've been looking for other car seats that may help with the passenger seat situation. As mentioned in the thread, we're trying to avoid having to compromise on the safety. As I'm sure you're aware, not all car seats are created equal.

Your ioniq 5 clearly was a lemon, which can happen to any car. I've had my fair share throughout the years with our honda. Stuff happens.

Comparing an ioniq 5 to a Rivian R1S is apples to oranges in so many ways. They sit in a much different class, let alone segment of vehicle. A lot of issues with the top EVs currently available, including the IONIQs, can be fixed with software. We're all still early adopters in the EV world and with time things will get better.

Tesla by far has the best UI in the industry, ahead of everyone, yes including Rivian and I don't think many would argue that. Rivian in my opinion has the 2nd best currently. As for HMG EVs I think they come in 3rd, especially with the EV9. Wireless Car Play / Android Auto works flawlessly and the interface is well thoughtout for a non all in one tablet UI design.

We've driven three R1S QMs already so far and spent a lot of uninterrupted time in two of them. It's absolutely what we want. Congrats on landing such a great deal on yours!

Thanks for the demo Rivian link, we'll take a look!

Update: It looks like all that's left at the moment are R1Ts. I'll keep an eye on it.
Sponsored

Last edited: