OP

TheLTrain

First Name
Leyen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Ford Escape Hybrid
They made me take mine into the service center for this.

They replaced the 12v and updated firmware and then made sure the truck updated to the latest software update.

Are you far from a service center? Wonder why they opted for mobile in your case.
Yeah we are about forty miles from the SC. Wish I’d had that option.
Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

How can I determine if my R1T has the two 12v batteries or the single 12v battery? My R1T is a late March, 2023 production with VIN 224xx.
Pull off the cover and look? I was hoping for the single battery setup but mine has two (19xxx VIN, 2/23 production). If you have one, post a picture. Would love to see the setup!

Dual batteries, for reference:

Rivian R1T R1S 12V Battery Replacement Bricked My R1T 1685667325670

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I don't think 40 miles would have disqualified a service center appointment. I'm only 25 miles away, but it takes 1-1.5 hours each way to get to the sc.

Felt bad for the uber guy when I went to pick up the truck. When I got the uber it said 35 min, turned into an hour and a half. That then put me into rush hour for the drive home and it took 1.75 hours to get home.

They really picked the worst location in Chicago for a service center.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

May have been a decision forced by supply chain, we'll likely never know.
They designed the vehicle by 2018 so this was pre supply chain issues.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
They designed the vehicle by 2018 so this was pre supply chain issues.
What evidence do you have that the dual batteries was part of the original design and not a last minute pivot as a result of supply chain complications?

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
What evidence do you have that the dual batteries was part of the original design and not a last minute pivot as a result of supply chain complications?
The fact that the fuse panels are separated left/right and the vehicle boots left and right separately.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The fact that the fuse panels are separated left/right and the vehicle boots left and right separately.
That's an assumption, not evidence. We simply don't know whether the original intent was to power the 2 circuits from one power source or two.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
That's an assumption, not evidence. We simply don't know whether the original intent was to power the 2 circuits from one power source or two.
Those are not assumptions, they are facts. The assumption is based on those listed facts.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The assumption is based on those listed facts.
Exactly my point, forgive my imprecise wording. I wasn't questioning the facts presented. By itself, the evidence presented proves nothing regarding the original design. To suggest that dual circuits implies that Rivian's original design intended for dual batteries is an assumption, nothing more. And to be clear, I'm not making a case one way or another regarding Rivian's original design intent. Merely highlighting that some big assumptions are being made and that there are other possible explanations for why the product was brought to market as it was. Designs evolve over time for many different reasons.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Exactly my point, forgive my imprecise wording. I wasn't questioning the facts presented. By itself, the evidence presented proves nothing regarding the original design. To suggest that dual circuits implies that Rivian's original design intended for dual batteries is an assumption, nothing more. And to be clear, I'm not making a case one way or another regarding Rivian's original design intent. Merely highlighting that some big assumptions are being made and that there are other possible explanations for why the product was brought to market as it was. Designs evolve over time for many different reasons.
On some level you are right but it seems a reasonable assumption and not every mis-step can be put down to “supply chain issues”. Some or most are due to inexperience with manufacture. They really need to get better at fixing their assembly and QC checks.

Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
If your profile location is correct (Pleasanton)? There is a new service center in San Jose that is about 25 miles from PTown. Much easier to get to than the So. SF service center. The folks in SJ are awesome too! Good luck with the fix.

OP
OP

TheLTrain

First Name
Leyen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Ford Escape Hybrid
I’ve been to the SJ center and liked it as well, but Rivian insisted on sending me to south SF. Not sure why, but the service was originally scheduled in April and had to be rescheduled several times because Rivian kept scheduling me for SJ and having to switch it back to SF. Apparently there is a huge backlog now and they won’t even be able to get the truck into the shop for four days. Stuck with a rental Kia for now :/

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Has anyone posted a picture of the single-battery? Or is this just a rumor?

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

This is interesting, especially the temporary bonding jumper part.

When I replaced my 12v with Ohmmu batteries, I replaced them one at a time, passenger side first and after a hard reset, all was well.

So not sure why the (mobile) service people have a more elaborate way?

LevelHeaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM
Occupation
Financial Technology
Clubs

Has anyone posted a picture of the single-battery? Or is this just a rumor?
The owner’s manual still refers to 2 12v batteries for the MY23… who’s claiming there’s only 1 battery now?
Sponsored