Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

How you drive can make as much impact on tire wear as how much you drive.

My first i3 didn't make it to 13K miles before I had to replace the rear tires. That's because I was gunning it at every light - and every opportunity I got because the torque and speed, especially off the line, is addicting.

I quickly realized I was going to blow through thousands of dollars in tires so I started putting the car in "comfort" or "eco" mode more often - and laying off the accelerator, and it make a huge difference. The second set lasted me over 20K miles.
Hah! Same experience in our i3. It was eye opening how fast we ate through tires… and those skinny tires are not puncture friendly, the sidewall is always close! Really happy the Rivian has a square set of normal-width tires.
Sponsored

Ddowns2050

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Tesla model S, C8 convertible corvette
Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have 7100 miles on mine and I'm at 9/32. That seems pretty good to me.

MjWilk

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Q5 2015 Q7
Occupation
retired
I don't have the exact numbers in front of me now but when I measured I believe it was 8.5/32" on the rears and 8/32" on the front.
Was going to update when I got home this evening.
Lack of my numbers shouldn't prevent other people from sharing theirs however ;)
OMG why can't the US use metric. 10/32" is about 8mm. So much simpler than fractions. IMO

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I have 7100 miles on mine and I'm at 9/32. That seems pretty good to me.
that’s pretty good wear and 40-50k miles depending on when you replace them. I’ll get about 30k out my model 3 tires and many others say only 15-20k so guess it all depends on driving style and roads.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I picked up a nail within a few weeks of getting my truck and the Nashville service center was able to repair that tire.
Good to know. The Houston SC said they were still waiting on the tools/supplies necessary to do tire repairs. For most people Discount will be a better option, cause they even do that for free. For some reason they will fix a flat and rotate your tires for free, I guess just hoping to find other issues to generate revenue.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Hah! Same experience in our i3. It was eye opening how fast we ate through tires… and those skinny tires are not puncture friendly, the sidewall is always close! Really happy the Rivian has a square set of normal-width tires.
A fellow i3'er! You'll appreciate this next anecdote. I got a tire puncture recently that I took to my local tire shop and for the first time since owning an i3 (or i3s) since 2015 the puncture was in a part of the tread that could actually be repaired! For us i3 owners who live this nightmare, you can imagine how ecstatic I was! There just isn't a lot of repairable shoulder on those skinny tires (even on the wider i3s tires) so the odds are NOT in your favor!

I love my i3 (and now i3s) however. Greatest city car ever conceived.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

A fellow i3'er! You'll appreciate this next anecdote. I got a tire puncture recently that I took to my local tire shop and for the first time since owning an i3 (or i3s) since 2015 the puncture was in a part of the tread that could actually be repaired! For us i3 owners who live this nightmare, you can imagine how ecstatic I was! There just isn't a lot of repairable shoulder on those skinny tires (even on the wider i3s tires) so the odds are NOT in your favor! All in the name of efficiency.

I love my i3 (and now i3s) however. Greatest city car ever conceived. When the weather is right, and on my normal stop and go rush hour DC traffic commute, I average close to 6 mi/kWh and do it with a smile.

Mister Person

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
Clubs

Wow this has a big impact on total cost of ownership. If the tires for the 21" wheels are that much more expensive and will only last 20k miles, it almost negates any electricity savings due to having more range over tires for the 20" wheels including the cost of the wheels (for non-launch edition buyers)...over a 10 year period.

Hmmm....

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Wow this has a big impact on total cost of ownership. If the tires for the 21" wheels are that much more expensive and will only last 20k miles, it almost negates any electricity savings due to having more range over tires for the 20" wheels including the cost of the wheels (for non-launch edition buyers)...over a 10 year period.

Hmmm....
Well, the good news is that you have the final say (for the most part) on how long your tires will last.

Gun it at every light, brake hard at the last second and throw it into every turn like it's a rally car and you'll go through tires very quickly. Drive it like a regular daily driver vehicle and your tires should last much longer.

Sponsored

EVBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 TESLA Model 3, 1991 Porsche 944S2
Occupation
Investor
Everyone with 21" wheels and a tread depth gauge, please go measure what you currently have and on how many miles.
I've got 3500 miles so far and thinking my tread wear is crazy high.
Nothing excessive on hard driving but I do have a lot of stops on my daily commute of 12 miles through two smaller towns, perhaps that is my issue.
Are you aggressively accelerating from stops? I was shocked when the Tesla service center told me that I had a lot of wear on the rears of my Model 3 at 6,000 miles. They pointed out that while the tires don't spin, getting into it from a stop will cause excessive wear from the tires trying to grip the pavement. If you are enjoying the 3 second 0-60 acceleration, that is most likely the cause of your "crazy high" wear. If so, it's not a tire problem, it's the cost of enjoying and showing off the amazing acceleration.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I managed to pick this one up in a rear tire a few years back. Needless to say it was time for a new tire....

Rivian R1T R1S 21" tire tread wear and mileage. IMG_6910

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

So preliminary data would suggest a life of roughly 10-15k miles on a set. We'll see how that evolves as the data set grows larger.
I have 9000+ mile and I am no where near the wear bars! I will plot my depths this weekend and going forward.

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Hmmm....
This was one of my major concerns with the 21" tires. Not a common size plus a lower tread life would make that an expensive maintenance cost.

Hopefully the 20" All-Terrain I configured will last a little bit longer. I drive 20,000 - 25,000 miles a year and I would certainly hate to be replacing tires once or twice every year. Definitely considering something with a higher tread wear rating whenever tire replacement time comes.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
In the 22” size Pirelli does make a tire with a 800 tread life rating. A little less load capacity than the OEM’s but unless you plan to test that 11000 lb. towing capacity it shouldn’t be a problem as they are only a few hundred lbs. less than the OEM’s rating.
Question I’ve asked Rivian and have yet to receive an answer. What is the minimum Load Rating and Speed Rating? Is it 116 or 115, and maybe H on speed. I checked with my local Costco and Discount Tire, both said, they will not put on tires that do not meet the minimum load & speed rating for the vehicle. If that holds true, we are extremely limited with the 21 & 22’s and maybe even the 20” wheels.
Sponsored