First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Rivian, Raptor, Suburban, GLC300, 3500 GMC
Occupation
Owner
I love it. If you made this without the hitch pin holes, you'd have more room. You could make a C-shaped plastic clip that would go around the exposed end of the box and have tabs that clip into the two round openings for the hitch pin. You may even be able to make the clips part of the unit.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Wait... what are the batteries for? Just you being silly or do you actually use them for something?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Wait... what are the batteries for? Just you being silly or do you actually use them for something?
Well, 4 high-drain 18650 batteries could possibly be used to "jump" a Rivian to get access to the frunk. Would be interesting to try at least.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, 4 high-drain 18650 batteries could possibly be used to "jump" a Rivian to get access to the frunk. Would be interesting to try at least.
A battery pack to get to the bigger battery is humorous, but 4 high-drain 18650 probably aren't fitting in that hitch receiver, are they? And you would need some way to string them together in series and then connect them to the jump leads.

Don't get me wrong, this is a path my geek brain is absolutely going down as an intellectual exercise, but it's not practical at all, especially if the most it would get you is access to the frunk or car interior. It's far more logical to just have cheap hand tools, since you'd need a bigger battery of some sort stored inside the vehicle anyway.

Sponsored

PhiltheCasual

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

You may want to consider adding a drain hole in the bottom of the tray in case water splashes up into it, don't want your tools swimming in a puddle until evaporation happens!

OP
OP
MtnRiv

MtnRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Just messing around with the batteries. Although if someone actually made that work I would be impressed. I keep a large jump start battery pack in the trunk which I would use to connect to the wires behind the round cover to the right of the hitch receiver in the event of a dead 12v battery.

The issue is getting to the jump pack when the 12v battery is dead, this is why I keep tools in the hitch box to get at the manual frunk release behind the front driver wheel well.

OP
OP
MtnRiv

MtnRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
You may want to consider adding a drain hole in the bottom of the tray in case water splashes up into it, don't want your tools swimming in a puddle until evaporation happens!
You’re a genius! I didn’t think of that. Thanks!

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

A battery pack to get to the bigger battery is humorous, but 4 high-drain 18650 probably aren't fitting in that hitch receiver, are they? And you would need some way to string them together in series and then connect them to the jump leads.

Don't get me wrong, this is a path my geek brain is absolutely going down as an intellectual exercise, but it's not practical at all, especially if the most it would get you is access to the frunk or car interior. It's far more logical to just have cheap hand tools, since you'd need a bigger battery of some sort stored inside the vehicle anyway.

Give me some rope here...

What if you modified the receiver box to BE the battery jumper. That is, make spots inside the box to hold little metal contact clips and make the box the exact size to hold some common batteries on Amazon with enough power to jump the Rivian. A little extra room for wires or some what included to attach it to the jump leads on the trailer plug and we are in business. You would want a lid we could seal tight with a gasket and some screws, or silicone shut or something.

If we could pull this off then you just pull out the receiver box, attach to the trailer jump leads and you have a custom Rivian jump starter!

OP
OP
MtnRiv

MtnRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
I love it. If you made this without the hitch pin holes, you'd have more room. You could make a C-shaped plastic clip that would go around the exposed end of the box and have tabs that clip into the two round openings for the hitch pin. You may even be able to make the clips part of the unit.
That is a great idea, I will work on it! The good thing is it is behind a cover so it’s less likely to be stolen. I can probably keep the holes for people who want to use a locking hitch pin, but make an accessory like you are talking about to secure it without having a pin go through the middle. Thanks for the input!

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Give me some rope here...

What if you modified the receiver box to BE the battery jumper. That is, make spots inside the box to hold little metal contact clips and make the box the exact size to hold some common batteries on Amazon with enough power to jump the Rivian. A little extra room for wires or some what included to attach it to the jump leads on the trailer plug and we are in business. You would want a lid we could seal tight with a gasket and some screws, or silicone shut or something.

If we could pull this off then you just pull out the receiver box, attach to the trailer jump leads and you have a custom Rivian jump starter!
I haven't seen any hard numbers, but I'm not sure there's enough space for battery capacity high enough to fully start the car and get the 12V charging off the HV. Just getting into the frunk or main cabin would be big wins anyway.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

I haven't seen any hard numbers, but I'm not sure there's enough space for battery capacity high enough to fully start the car and get the 12V charging off the HV. Just getting into the frunk or main cabin would be big wins anyway.
I see. I thought I had seen where people were able to jump from the trailer hitch from a portable jump starter, but maybe it was jus to get the doors and funk open.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Just messing around with the batteries. Although if someone actually made that work I would be impressed. I keep a large jump start battery pack in the trunk which I would use to connect to the wires behind the round cover to the right of the hitch receiver in the event of a dead 12v battery.

The issue is getting to the jump pack when the 12v battery is dead, this is why I keep tools in the hitch box to get at the manual frunk release behind the front driver wheel well.
What large jump battery are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
The two AA battery thing is a joke right?
Sponsored