Sponsored

Any one else totally dissatisfied with the locking / unlocking experience?

Rob O

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2019 RS5 Sportback, 2018 Raptor, 2020 M4
Occupation
Dad
PAAK sucks for me. It was better with the iPhone 14 Pro I just replaced with a 15 Pro, which is notably worse ... but even before, it was hit or miss. If the phone is out, in my hand, it works pretty well. Most of the time I'm not carrying my phone in my hand though, especially if I'm pushing a shopping cart or carrying stuff ... so it's in my pocket. When in my pocket (almost always back right), it can be near worthless. It will eventually open, and seems more responsive approaching from the passenger rear than the driver front, but it's almost never responsive enough to unlock as I approach and requires me to stand there waiting (or worse, take my phone out of my pocket to kinda force communication). This is super annoying when I walk up to the frunk with hands full and want to load something.

There have also been times over the past couple weeks with the iPhone 15 Pro where the truck didn't even seem to recognize it as a key when in the vehicle. I'd come out to the garage (where proximity is disable), get in, set phone on charger and the truck would act dumb ... like there wasn't a key. That never happened with the 14 Pro, so it's possible behavior with the 15 Pro is different (between this and worse unlock performance noted above).

On the other hand, the key fob is super responsive and works as I'd expect. Approach vehicle and it unlocks before I get to it. So I've reverted to carrying the fob at all times.

Reading these threads, with so many saying "it works perfect" and "fine for me 99%" of the time, it's hard not to think 'expectations' vary and, for some, the mere fact it unlocks without doing anything is enough ... not when or how responsive, etc ... just the fact it works. It's also clear that the experience is different for many (i.e., Rivian has dialed in a consistent experience for every owner).
Sponsored

Warren

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS1
Occupation
Enigma instructor
Another voice in the wilderness that's had some problems. I have found that when going away form ye old Rivian when parked away from home it always locks but coming back to it I have to do some swearing and get the app awakened. It's a bit of a wait at times. Not always. Not recommend for a bank robbery get away vechile.

A home forgetaboutit. PIA.

Tarponman85

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Real estate investor.
Clubs

Wow, this is very discouraging. I’ve had my R1T for a week and I am already over the unlocking/locking dilemma. I found this thread by searching the forum, hoping to find a solution before opening a ticket with Rivian. I’m in Miami Florida and it’s been raining every day And 60% of the time I get stuck at the driver side door, pressing the unlock on the fob and the damn thing not responding meanwhile I’m getting soaked.

I don’t know if this is a reason for me to sell the truck yet, but this is absolutely f***ing ridiculous.

Gkfisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
It’s so - so. I had ID.4 and ionic and the touch lock and unlock didn’t work great. As far as locking goes the biggest issue for me is lack of child safety lock toggle. That’s annoying big time.

The proximity unlock works great for me

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
We took delivery on Saturday and I must say the locking / unlocking is even more annoying than I anticipated. Why couldn't they just have installed a touch sensor on the door so you could lock / unlock by touching it? My 2015 Porsche has this feature and it works great and reliably, 8 years later!

1. There is only one fob, so my wife and I each can't have a fob. Therefore, we must use phones or the cards.
2. We have turned off passive lock / unlock at home because I go in and out of the garage a lot and I am always carrying my phone. Having to pull out my phone and open an app every time I want to unlock my vehicle is absolutely absurd for an $80k vehicle in 2023.
3. Phone proximity unlock isn't working for my wife at all
4. Sometimes we park in the driveway and not the security of our garage. Since we have passive locking turned off at home, there is no way to lock the vehicle without stopping to take out my phone or fob. Again totally ridiculous.

I needed to vent. I am wondering if anyone else is as frustrated as I am.
Mine works great. Sony 1V

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
My Bolt, which I no longer have, had a touch button on every door handle and it worked 100% of the time. My Mach E has touch buttons on all doors, and I use PAAK on that car. It works great, occasionally takes two pushes of the button. They both have push to lock features also, the Mach E has an option for walkaway locking.

Much better than standing by the Rivian and pulling the phone out of my pocket many times.

I also prefer the on/off buttons on my other cars, I hate walking into the garage and having the vehicle turn on.

countab45

First Name
aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t white, locked tonneau in open position...
paak and the fob used to be worse but its gotten a lot better this year with the multiple update pushes. im pretty happy with it now. seems to open within two seconds of my arriving at the car vs 10 in the past

el_scorcho

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I am a cyclist and when I pull up to the trailhead, I get out, go around the truck to unload my bike and the truck will lock on me. I have not left the proximity of the truck. Pretty annoying.

Rockgirl2670

First Name
Joy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Designer
I have the same issues. I love my Rivian, but the phone key unlock is driving me crazy. I stand there and think...good thing I am not running from anyone, lol. The I try to wake it, by knocking, "Hello Rivian...". Sometimes I have to walk around the back for it to notice I am there. Other days I just walk out of my house and it unlocks only to lock again right when I step to the door... Please please please fit that Rivian. I love this car and it would be the best thing in the world if it would just let me in.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

We took delivery on Saturday and I must say the locking / unlocking is even more annoying than I anticipated. Why couldn't they just have installed a touch sensor on the door so you could lock / unlock by touching it? My 2015 Porsche has this feature and it works great and reliably, 8 years later!

1. There is only one fob, so my wife and I each can't have a fob. Therefore, we must use phones or the cards.
2. We have turned off passive lock / unlock at home because I go in and out of the garage a lot and I am always carrying my phone. Having to pull out my phone and open an app every time I want to unlock my vehicle is absolutely absurd for an $80k vehicle in 2023.
4. Sometimes we park in the driveway and not the security of our garage. Since we have passive locking turned off at home, there is no way to lock the vehicle without stopping to take out my phone or fob. Again totally ridiculous.

since you’re new to ownership, it may be worth going back and reading the 45000 other threads on this exact same issue that have been posted over the past two years.
it is what it is.

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Confirm same individual PAAK challenges as stated above, seems to have gotten worse with latest updates:

1) Many times need to take phone out of pocket to unlock vehicle, even when standing immediately next to the vehicle and wearing thin/tight gym shorts which accentuate the mooseknuckle but cannot find the PAAK signal. This is especially annoying when carrying items.

2) If alternating between fob and phone, many times need to recycle phone and app to get phone PAAK functioning again, and/or to use keycard to start car even if it unlocks with PAAK.

3) Truck will lock just when moving to back bed to unload or load.

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
I only use PaaK and it works well about 95% of the time. In some rare instances it will unlock the truck but won’t allow it to start. Other times it will unlock when I’m away from the vehicle and then lock right as I get there - it did it with the handle literally in my hand last week. It’s minor enough that it’s worth the tradeoff for PaaK functionality.

Rivian should consider a software update that forces the truck search for a key if you push the gear tunnel/tailgate button or manually try to open the door.
The lock/unlock feature should work 100% time not 95% time. It's just inconvenient to pull out our phone and open the app and have to wait a couple second for the door to unlock. The lock/unlock should be seamless and shouldn't require any efforts specially for $90K car.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

You can use the keycard and shut off the PaaK.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

We are delighte, best system we’ve ever had.
It seems to know what we are doing and thinking
Sometimes a few seconds more here and there to recognize the phone
So sorry you’re facing trouble hope it gets fixed.

Tarponman85

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio, Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
Real estate investor.
Clubs

I just want the door to open when I hit the unlock button on the fob. And the fact that the damn thing doesn’t is ridiculous. That’s it. I could care less about Paak.
Sponsored